..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: change of resolution... nothing...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey there...

i was testing out some of my games earlier, and noticed something odd...

first off, click here for my sytstem specs and pcsx2 settings...

now the wierd thing... i start up a game of FFX-2 as a test. Opening movie at 1366x768 resolution, drops down to about 30-35 fps. Taking note of what i was told in a previous thread i opened, i lowered the res down to as low as 260x260 as a testing point.... my fps... 30-35 fps...

confused a little, i decide to set my res to 1920x1080... once again, no change in fps. Please note, this was all internal resolution (where you have the option for native res) NOT window size.

any one have any ideas why changing the resolution isnt affecting anything? kinda wierd i run a game in full 1080 res at 30-35 fps and get no increase in fps when i lower it all the way down to 260x260...
FMVs in that game are slow because of CPU and not GPU (most FMVs are), a 2.2GHz just won't do for those.

There's even a CPU benchmark based on FFX-2 just to give you an idea what you need for full speed on those FMVs.
that was just an example though.

ive tested different resolutions on a few games with no increase or decrease in performance... even outside FMV's there still doesnt appear to be any affect on my fps.
Then again, your bottleneck is your CPU in those cases.

Try 4096x4096 or 8192x8192, that's most likely to drop your FPS anyway Tongue2
yeah that dropped it Tongue but only by about 20fps in game for FFX (didnt try FFX-2) which surprised me (was expecting a larger fps hit)

though is there really much point in setting the res higher than 1920x1080?
Yeah, some people play on 2560x1600 monitors. Seems you have an older laptop though, I don't think you'd be able to play many games. Even recent high-end laptops struggle with PSX2. Ideally you want a 4GHz processor paired with something like a GTX 560
(08-07-2011, 05:01 PM)synce Wrote: [ -> ]. Ideally you want a 4GHz processor paired with something like a GTX 560

that isnt accurate
a 4GHz AMD Phonem II wont be enough
a 3GHz Sandy Bridge will be enough
(08-07-2011, 05:01 PM)synce Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, some people play on 2560x1600 monitors. Seems you have an older laptop though, I don't think you'd be able to play many games. Even recent high-end laptops struggle with PSX2. Ideally you want a 4GHz processor paired with something like a GTX 560

all that really matters to me is that i can play the games i want perfectly fine. I have FFX and FFXII running at pretty much 100% at all times except for FMVs on FFXII which are still perfectly watchable. KH2 runs at 100% for me at all times, as does DMC2 and 3 for what ive played (which i doubt any part of the game will change).

and well, for the most part, i usually plug my laptop into my TV via HDMI so, even though my laptops max resolution is 1366x768, i have it set to 1920x1080 to have it as close to HD as i can.
You can set it(internal res) higher than your display res with powerfull enough GPU, will make those edges smoother. Also you can use x4 or higher native instead of typing custom res. In some games custom res can actually break stuff(althrough I use custom most of the time myself, couse I don't wanna bother resizing screenshots later;P).