..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Star Ocean 3 Configuration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm pretty new to PCSX2 and I'm having some issues getting a good configuration set up for Star Ocean 3. I have a pretty fast machine (2500k SandyBridge overclocked to 4.2 ghz and a Radeon 4870), but the framerate keeps dipping down into the 30s. I'm using the nightly build 4868 and for GSdx I selected DirectX 10 hardware profile, set to 3x Native resolution. Listed below is a log with my hardware and plugins and I've attached screenshots of my config panels. I appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bit
Physical RAM = 8173 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 07)
CPU speed = 3.293 ghz (4 logical threads) (overclocked to 4.2ghz)

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2

Loading plugins...
Binding GS : D:\PCSX2\plugins\GSdx32-SSE4-r4863.dll
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series (8.17.10.1086)
Binding PAD : D:\PCSX2\plugins\LilyPad-r4797.dll
Binding SPU2 : D:\PCSX2\plugins\SPU2-X-r4867.dll
Binding CDVD : D:\PCSX2\plugins\cdvdGigaherz-r4488.dll
Binding USB : D:\PCSX2\plugins\USBnull-r4811.dll
Binding FW : D:\PCSX2\plugins\FWnull-r4811.dll
Binding DEV9 : D:\PCSX2\plugins\DEV9null-r4811.dll
I'm guessing that internal res may be too much for your GPU/game.

Have you tried lowering it?
(08-14-2011, 01:36 AM)Rezard Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing that internal res may be too much for your GPU/game.

Have you tried lowering it?

It's better when running at native resolution, but even then it will dip down into the low 50s or high 40s for framerate. There isn't much difference in framerate when running at 2,3 or 4x the internal res. I know that PCSX2 is much more CPU than GPU dependent, but would this be one of the cases where a better video card might help out? Or do I just need to be patient and wait for further improvements in the emulator and/or GDsx? I just figured my spiffy new CPU was up to the task and it was my complete and total ignorance that was the issue. Tongue In any event, I really appreciate the quick reply!
For cpu side I can say I play this game at full speed on an underclocked AMD... Use VU cycle stealing, it's pretty safe for this game even at 3, but save it often, especially before any longer cutscene as it can cause a freeze(for me it happened only in the "longest" cutscene, only a save from before the cutscene starts can save you then;P). You can also use for most of the game EE cyclerate speedhack(also at max if you need it), but that causes bad timings in more than a few(still not all, mainly the longer ones) cutscenes, when that happens through turning it off, should allow to continue normally. Those speedhacks doesn't affect any other part of the game except cutscenes(the ones on the game engine), soo you can experiment with them untill you get full speed.

But like Rezard said, your game can be GPU limited, if those speedhacks doesn't give you an instant huge fps gain, decrease internal res to 2x native or set a custom one for something in-between. You could try turning off MTVU too, I played this game before that feature and had no speed issues.
(08-14-2011, 02:24 AM)miseru99 Wrote: [ -> ]But like Rezard said, your game can be GPU limited, if those speedhacks doesn't give you an instant huge fps gain, decrease internal res to 2x native or set a custom one for something in-between. You could try turning off MTVU too, I played this game before that feature and had no speed issues.

Dont think so, i played that game in x3 with my 4770 w/o glitches-problems, maybe with some speedhacks he can do it too
I switched from the internal resolution multiplier to a custom resolution of 1920 x 1080 and it's running smooth as silk now. Biggrin
(08-15-2011, 05:57 AM)rbenchley Wrote: [ -> ]I switched from the internal resolution multiplier to a custom resolution of 1920 x 1080 and it's running smooth as silk now. Biggrin

thats good, thats like x3 xD, so i was right and everyone else wrong Angry

ps just joking Tongue enjoy the game, but beware of the evil vu hack >_>