..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Compile Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(02-27-2009, 08:21 PM)NoVaX1000 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-27-2009, 08:09 PM)Blackclaw Wrote: [ -> ]Here is ur other solution

SVN Snapshot
Doesn't update often enough...

And you are sorely mistaken, because I update everytime there is something meaningful added to the svn.
(02-27-2009, 05:44 AM)arcum42 Wrote: [ -> ]Or rather, you can't build it without setting up a 32 bit chroot, and compiling it inside of the chroot. And how to do that varies from distribution to distribution.

Thanks for the news! I didn't know that it was not possible to build it in x64, even the configure scripts of some plugins check and report for x64. It would be nice to add that "caveat" in the first page of this thread in the linux section.

I will do the chroot stuff Smile
It is not possible to build in x64 since when?
since the time that the 64bit version of pcsx2 got dropped Smile
The last working 64 bit build was shortly before the VTLB build was added to playground, as I recall. The actual code for 64 bit builds was taken out around new years.

The plugins do still have 64 bit code in them, partially because we never took it out, and partially because they could theoretically still be used with the old 64 bit build. If they become backwards incompatible at some point, it'll probably be taken out, and I'm not really making sure they work in 64 bit builds...

I've added a note about 64 bit builds to the first page.

And at some point, I may start posting beta linux builds (unsupported, of course). If I do, they'd be done less frequently then Windows ones, though.
(i'm french sorry for my bad english ^^)
I have downloaded and installed visual studio 2008 team suite trial but when i try to compile pcsx2 i have always an error in the build somewhere.
Do i need something else like library or something?
Thanks.
(02-28-2009, 06:18 AM)arcum42 Wrote: [ -> ]The last working 64 bit build was shortly before the VTLB build was added to playground, as I recall. The actual code for 64 bit builds was taken out around new years.

The plugins do still have 64 bit code in them, partially because we never took it out, and partially because they could theoretically still be used with the old 64 bit build. If they become backwards incompatible at some point, it'll probably be taken out, and I'm not really making sure they work in 64 bit builds...

And at some point, I may start posting beta linux builds (unsupported, of course). If I do, they'd be done less frequently then Windows ones, though.
Ok thanks a lot for the clarification, now I'm in the right path. I was trying to build pcsx2 in order to make some packages available for Ubuntu Intrepid, but it seems I will have to do some tricks to make it depend in the 32bit chroot stuff.
Why was the support of 64bit dropped?
(02-28-2009, 04:57 PM)cristian.rosa Wrote: [ -> ]Why was the support of 64bit dropped?

http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2621.html
(02-28-2009, 04:57 PM)cristian.rosa Wrote: [ -> ]Why was the support of 64bit dropped?

Because Pcsx2 has its own internal optimized JIT compiler, the x64 recompiler had to be a completely separate branch from the x86 recompiler. This meant that any changes or bugfixes we made to the x86 side had to be mirrored and merged into the x64 manually, effectively doubling our workload. Additionally, the x64 build was never fully stable, and was never very optimized either (it was slightly faster for some things, but slightly slower for most everything else). We simply don't have the manpower or resources to manage two separate recompilers at this time.

Sometime in the distant future we'll revisit x64 support properly, when the emulation model of pcsx2 is more complete and less prone to needing sweeping changes and such -- and most likely we will discontinue x86 support at that time (such that x86 systems will have to stick to using an old version of the emu), and focus solely on x64.
(02-28-2009, 04:57 PM)cristian.rosa Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-28-2009, 06:18 AM)arcum42 Wrote: [ -> ]The last working 64 bit build was shortly before the VTLB build was added to playground, as I recall. The actual code for 64 bit builds was taken out around new years.

Ok thanks a lot for the clarification, now I'm in the right path. I was trying to build pcsx2 in order to make some packages available for Ubuntu Intrepid, but it seems I will have to do some tricks to make it depend in the 32bit chroot stuff.
Why was the support of 64bit dropped?

Well, if you want the official reasoning, you might want to look through this thread:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-2621.html

Consider this, though. There is only one person on the team using and working on Linux. And there was only one person on the team keeping the 64 bit port working.

In both cases, me[1].

Now, the recompiler code basically was split into 32 bit code and 64 bit code, and there were (and are) plans to rework a lot of the recompiler code. Basically, I would have had to match the efforts of several other good programmers myself to keep the 64 bit code working, while simultaneously keeping Linux working.

No idea how zerofrog was managing both, but then, he has been busy with real life for a while.

Removing the code was a team decision. There are a lot of technical reasons raised in the thread I just mentioned...

[1] Though Jake's been known to help out despite not having Linux. And a few of the people in the forum and googlecode, such as Zeydlitz, have been very helpful as far as the Linux side goes.
Arcum, i want to thank you for your work in the linux side of the emu, also maybe you can help me to try the last svn versions in my linux (ubuntu) 64 bit system, i would like to test it and also help reporting some bugs.
Firstly i thought there is no way to make it work, but then i knew that it is possible by using this 32 bit chroot configuration, the thing is that i decided to try but looking for it in some webpages it seems not so easy, and also most of the guides i've found are incomplete and different between them!, also it seems i should use a lot of hard disk for it no?. My question is: Is this necessary for compile it or also to run it, i mean if like you said you put some beta builds, do i need the 32 bit chroot configuration to run this binaries too??, is there another way around? any guide you can recommend me?

Thanks so much, and looking forward for your answer.