..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Running Okami on full speed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all

Okami is my definite favorite game on the PS2, and when my console died on me, I thought I would never be able to play it again. Some hope rose when I saw that it was playable on PCSX2. Or so I thought.

I can get good speeds when little is going on on the screen, but when on broad environments, the FPS drop below 50 which kills it for me. The game as a whole has really big places.

I'm looking into upgrading my computer specs, and it would be great if, with this upgrade, I got to play these high-end games on PCSX2 (also another emulator, Dolphin, in which I have terrible slowdowns with Wii games such as New Super Mario Bros Wii).

Anyway, here are my specs:

CPU AMD Athlon II X3 445
Graphics Card 1024MB GeForce GTS 250
RAM 4 Gb
Windows 7 64-bit SP1

If there's maybe a way to run Okami better with my specs without upgrading anything, it'd be great. I'm running PCSX2 0.9.7.3876 (svn), which is a little faster, and PCSX2 0.9.8, which is a tad bit slower. The configuration I'm using is the default.

Thanks in advance

PS. I understand emulation is a work in progress, and by "full speed" on the title, I really mean the full speed that is currently achievable.
Try the latest SVN: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
After you grab it, check the new MTVU speed hack and see if it helps. Just so you know it's your processor that is limiting you in this game
Whoa, that... That did it! The was significant progress in FPS. It's not constantly in fullspeed, but I can finally look at the broad fields without the massive slowdowns.

What exactly does this speed hack do? Does it use multiple cores to increase speed?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the hasty and efficient reply. I'll surely keep that builds page bookmarked.
(10-03-2011, 02:37 AM)rick_meadows Wrote: [ -> ]Does it use multiple cores to increase speed?

Short answer, yes. Long answer http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-blog-Threading-VU1
Wow, the long answer is bit too long to read.