..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: hangs in FFX
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

I'm a pcxs2 newbie let me say firstly Smile I had an urge to play FFX again after many years without it. I bought a copy but seeing as I don't have a working PS2 any more (laser is toast) I tried it on PCXS2 and was suprised to find it works well out of the box.

Unfortunately I have found it freezing in several places. Thinking it was a bad disc I have since bought yet another copy in pristine condition but still I get freezes in exactly the same places (Like the cutscene when first entering Luca, when starting a blitzball game etc).

I don't know anything about tweaking PCXS2 for FFX but I've fiddled with some options and haven't managed to make any difference. Would be really grateful for some tips on this.

My machine specs follow:

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 16382 MB
CPU name = AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T Processor
Vendor/Model = AuthenticAMD (stepping 00)
CPU speed = 3.310 ghz (6 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = 178bfbff 00802009
x86EFlags = efd3fbff

x86 Features Detected:
MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3
MMX2 .. 3DNOW .. 3DNOW2.. SSE4a
Ok start by providing more info. Which PCSX2 version are you using? (you should be using the latest 0.9.8 release from our website). Plugins used? Have you changed any settings from their default values? Are you running the game directly from your disc or did you make an ISO image and run that instead?
(10-20-2011, 01:58 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]Ok start by providing more info. Which PCSX2 version are you using? (you should be using the latest 0.9.8 release from our website). Plugins used? Have you changed any settings from their default values? Are you running the game directly from your disc or did you make an ISO image and run that instead?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using the latest PCSX2 from the website last night (PCSX2 0.9.8.r4600).

Plugins are pretty much default:

GSDX-SSE2
PadSSSPSX
SPU2-x
cdvdGigaherz
USBNull
FWNull
DEV9Null

The only options I have changed from default were three hacks that looked somewhat relevant:

FFX videos fix
EE timing hack
Skip MPEG hack (which hasn't actually skipped any FMVs so far)

And "Use Synchronized MTGS" which I tried on the off-chance and didn't make any difference.

I've tried running straight from the disk and from an ISO ripped with Alcohol 120% as I found in the past that alcohol can sometimes rip past disc errors.

Please let me know if I can provide any other information.

Thanks
OK for starters switch the input plugin to Lilypad (much better and more reliable). Disable all hacks except the FFX videos fix and do NOT use synchronized MTGS (Tongue)
I'd suggest remaking your ISO with imgburn which is free and is known to make working images of PS2 games. Then make sure your ISO is NOT mounted in any external program like on a virtual Alcohol drive or daemon tools and run the ISO directly with the internal ISO reader PCSX2 has like this:
CDVD->Choose ISO, then ISO selector->Browse, find your ISO and System->Boot CD/DVD (fast)
(10-20-2011, 02:06 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]OK for starters switch the input plugin to Lilypad (much better and more reliable). Disable all hacks except the FFX videos fix and do NOT use synchronized MTGS (Tongue)
I'd suggest remaking your ISO with imgburn which is free and is known to make working images of PS2 games. Then make sure your ISO is NOT mounted in any external program like on a virtual Alcohol drive or daemon tools and run the ISO directly with the internal ISO reader PCSX2 has like this:
CDVD->Choose ISO, then ISO selector->Browse, find your ISO and System->Boot CD/DVD (fast)

Ok I've reconfigured with Lilypad, turned off everything I think I changed except for FFX videos fix and I'm just ripping from the pristine disc with imageburn. Luckily I have a save just before a guaranteed freeze so I will report back in a few.

Thanks
Unfortunately still crashing Sad The point i'm playing with at the moment is on the Thunder Plains where Yuna decides to stop and chat...silly girl. I'm not getting anything in the console and all disk access stops.
Well that's your problem Tongue Do not use states for this, the bug triggering on you can easily be recorded in the state thus each time you load it, you also load the bug no matter which settings you changed. Load from a memory card save and try again.
Ah ok, I was wondering about this. I'll have to start over from the beginning then. I was using the not-so-pristine disk and fiddling with the settings from pretty much the start. I'll see what happens, thanks.
Ugh so you never saved on a memory card? Wacko Never totally rely on states because they can also become corrupt in some cases and are generally not as stable as normal memory card saves.
(10-20-2011, 02:49 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]Ugh so you never saved on a memory card? Wacko Never totally rely on states because they can also become corrupt in some cases and are generally not as stable as normal memory card saves.

Oh i've got plenty of memory card saves, but all except one are after I started fiddling. I first used the save-states when you're on the ship going to luca for the first time. I used a save-state to let me retry the jecht shot minigame quickly. Since then I guess things were messing up.

I've just gone back to that first real save and I can now get past the Luca FMV Smile I guess only time will tell if it keeps going well but many thanks for getting me this step forward Laugh Now if only I could find a way to skip the lengthy cutscenes I will be happy Smile
Pages: 1 2