..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: MGS2 Fine, MGS3 Trippy...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, my rig:
i7 950 oc'd to 4.00GHz
Sapphire HD6870 1GB
6GB Corsair XMS3 RAM
Windows 7 Professional x64

Currently running MGS2 at 60fps, occasional slowdowns to 50-52fps (apart from when in the rain, then its down at 40ish and thermal goggles don't work) on these settings:
PCSX2 0.9.8
GSdx 4600 SSE41 Direct3D11 (Hardware), Native
No Sound
EE/IOP on Default
VU's on default (apart from taking photos of Ray, in which case I use superVU [legacy] on VU0 and VU1)
Speedhacks enabled:
EE Cyclerate: 1
VU Cycle Stealing: 1
INTC Spin Detection enabled
mVU flag hack enabled

These same settings used in MGS3 yield this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/33495355.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/10/79254180.jpg/

Anyone to any clue as to get rid of the trippy graphics? Another issue are some psychadelic colours when looking at water (doesn't occur on land, so I reckon some sort of reflection bug?)
Software mode of GSdx should fix it (thermal googles in MGS2 too) Just make sure you set it to 3 rendering threads to get decent speed.
Thanks for the info
Just tried with 3 and 4 rendering threads on both games.
Not as fast but less buggy. Thermal goggles in MGS3 yields 42fps.
What is the highest number of rendering threads one can use?
I am upgrading my PC with another HD6870, so I can CF.
Would that improve my speed when using DX11 (software)? (I know emulators are more about the CPU power, but my Noctua nh-d14 is keeping the temps where I want them, so I am not oc'ing more)
You can use up to 8 or something but above 3 or 4 the FPS increase is negligible, but you can give it a try. No crossfire will have absolutely 0 impact on PCSX2 and when you're using software mode your graphics card is basically staying idle and not processing anything, with the whole load being on your processor.
Yeah, using 8 yields little result. Ahh well, seeing as I am not going to oc my cpu any more, I shall just have to experiment with settings around DX11 software. Thanks for your help.
You'd need a Sandy Bridge at 4.5GHz or higher.