..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: pcsx2 started shuting down my computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Been using pcsx2 for well over a year, even yesterday with no problem, but today i come back home, go over my God of War 2 boss saves on Titan difficulty for kicks and around 10-15 minutes in, my computer turns off without a warning. This happened 4 times in a row and only for the pcsx2 emulator.

As I said, i was playing the emulator just fine yesterday, and i have no inkling as to what might be causing it.

My computer has 4 gigs of ram (3 usable due to XP), video card is NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT and using a NON-OC dual core processor 3.100 ghz.
Running windows XP 32 bit.

Plugins in use, and up until now working just fine: Gsdx 4600 0.1.16 SSE2; SPU2-X r4600m 1.4.0 and Linuz Iso CDVD 0.9.0

Top 2 reasons for pc shutting down is getting overheated, which is ruled out by the fact that its winter over here, and my processor is not oc-ed. The other is new hardware which is also out, since my pc has the same parts for 2 years now.

So, i guess thats about it.
Even if it's winter, if your CPU cooler broke down you will still get overheating, so check your temps with coretemp. It also might be a PSU problem or a nasty driver problem (although that is unlikely since you wouldn't get your PC turning off)
(11-19-2011, 09:31 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]Even if it's winter, if your CPU cooler broke down you will still get overheating, so check your temps with coretemp. It also might be a PSU problem or a nasty driver problem (although that is unlikely since you wouldn't get your PC turning off)

Im inclined to believe that its not the cooler. otherwise it would shut down occasionally, but it only does when playing pscx2
PCSX2 taxes your CPU more than any PC game would, the only other thing that would put such load on your CPU would be video encoding or stress testing tools. You can find out fast by running an application like prime95.
(11-19-2011, 09:46 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]PCSX2 taxes your CPU more than any PC game would, the only other thing that would put such load on your CPU would be video encoding or stress testing tools. You can find out fast by running an application like prime95.

as per your previous suggestion, i installed coretemp. The Emulator ***** my pc down at 70 degrees Celsius Tj. Max 70 and a cpu #0 temp at 50, after having sustained it for a while.
Uh you mean while running PCSX2 your CPU got up to 50c then it shut down? If so, try running prime95 for a while, see if you still get a shutdown. In that case I would guess it's a PSU problem
(11-19-2011, 10:13 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]Uh you mean while running PCSX2 your CPU got up to 50c then it shut down? If so, try running prime95 for a while, see if you still get a shutdown. In that case I would guess it's a PSU problem

Can you give me a quick run-down of what to do with prime95? Im sure i will get it after going through the readme's, but im kinda anxious to get this fixed sooner.
When you open it you get a prompt for torture test, just select the first one (Small FFTs). If you don't get that dialog just go to Options->Torture test and select Small FFTs and press ok.
Edit: get this one: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home...me95.shtml
(11-19-2011, 10:21 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]When you open it you get a prompt for torture test, just select the first one (Small FFTs). If you don't get that dialog just go to Options->Torture test and select Small FFTs and press ok.
Edit: get this one: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home...me95.shtml

This is the result i got, and i dont know what to make of it. Also, Running Prime95 ALONE raised my CPU temp to 57 Celsius, and i dont see how that helps.

[Image: zzzzzzzzzb.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And number 2

[Image: zzzzzzzzzr.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Yeah leave it running for 30 mins or so. 57c will not damage your CPU and the point is to find which component of your PC is failing.
Pages: 1 2