..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: About x2/x3 hacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Remember in last revisions Jake Stine optimezed cycle timing in X3 Hack, it was nearly perfect, but i've made some tests
I run Naruto Shippuuden Accel2
x2 and x3 hacks ON stable 60 fps framerate,but still some sound/graphics misstiming, graphics looks slowed down a little bit, when sound is normal
only x3 hack ON x2-OFF still stable 60 fps framerate, and here the miracle perfect timing, and the graphics looks faster then with the both hacks
And another test with NTSC Bios (SCPH-70004)
Tested on the momen on the first screen where is "Sony Compter Entertainment" written
The both hacks or just x2 hack: Graphics render has noticeble slowdowns when the framerate 60fps
no hacks or just X3 hack ON: Perfect speed, and timing, framerate 60 fps of course
I think the problem is somewhere in X2 hack
X3 hack is only used if X2 hack is also enabled. So X3-only checked is the same as having no hacks at all checked.

The "slow graphics" you experience with speedhacks enabled is not an emulator glitch. It is a function of the games and the PS2 that the emulator is properly emulating. This and audio sync are the two main problems of X2 and X3 speed hacks. The speedhacks work by basically slowing down the PS2's CPUs (the EE/IOP). The x2 hack runs the EE at an effective rate of 150mhz instead of 300mhz, and X3 runs it at around 100mhz. This allows the emulator to do half (or less) as much work to execute the emulated code (1/3rd as many instructions processed per frame for X3 hack!), but it also means that some games will literally think that the PS2 can't keep up with the workload, and they slow down to 30fps to compensate for the slower PS2 cpu.

What I should probably do is implement a new 1.5x speedhack, which should be enough to keep most games from throttling themselves to 30fps, while still offering 10-20% speedup (depending on game).
Thanks for xplaining, ise that is X3 only really uselles independently without X2)
(12-20-2008, 08:51 PM)Air Wrote: [ -> ]What I should probably do is implement a new 1.5x speedhack, which should be enough to keep most games from throttling themselves to 30fps, while still offering 10-20% speedup (depending on game).
Another x Hack huh? would be greatHappy
thank you very much for explaining, but this information has to be in the speed hacks menu. i always activated the x2/x3 hacks ("big speedup in most games!") and when i deactivate it now, some games run alot smoother than before. okami for example has a lot of stuttering when the x2/x3 hacks are activated. i never realised that before, although i read the guide and all things i could find in the internet Huh
The X2/X3 speedhacks most commonly break audio and FMV smoothness. Unfortunately even a 1.5x speedhack would do the same on most FMVs. The FMVs are that sensitive. If you want FMVs to play properly you'll have to leave the speedhacks unchecked for now.

And yeah, there should probably be a note in the options box, or in a FAQ. Smile
Maybe this post at ngemu can help you, devs, or give some ideas...

http://forums.ngemu.com/1548276-post1282.html