..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: need help on choosing a cpu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i wanna buy a laptop to play a few ps2 games as well for other uses but im not sure wich cpu is better for playing ps2 games.

Intel® Core™ i7-960, 8MB L3 Cache, 3.2-3.46GHz (Desktop CPU)

or

Intel® Core™ i7-2860QM, 8MB L3 Cache, 2.5-3.6GHz

last one is sandy bridge first one is not. Also the games i want to play are dark cloud and romancing saga so if anyone knows them can you tell me if the cpu can run it at full speed thanks in advance!
Those processors are waaaaay more than enough for those 2 games.

The Sandy Bridge would do better.
Wow really? The second one has sandy bridge but only 2.5 ghz the first is still i7 and has 3.2 ghz so yeah im little confuse there but ive heard about sandy bridge being better for pcxs2. Thanks alot for the response!
Sandy is a little better when compared at the same clock, and even the first instance of Turbo from the 2860QM will put it at 3.3Ghz. The 960 will not see that 3.46Ghz boost (that's just on 1 core), and will only boost to 3.33Ghz in the end.

So, you're comparing a 3.3Ghz 2nd gen to a 3.33Ghz 1st gen. Admittedly a close call, but the Sandy comes out with an edge (and does it more efficiently).
I see, well now atleast i know i can run the games even with either of them so thanks alot for the help also ill be goin with the sandy bridge presumably as ive heard alot about it.