..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Horrible playability with PCSX2.. all versions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey guys, was hopin one of yall could help me out..
I've checked out a bunch of threads, seen a bunch of youtube videos an tried a bunch of different things.. BUT playability has always been verrrrrry ***** Glare .... I've been tryin to play Kingdom Hearts 2, an its killin me that I cant Sad

first off tho...
I'm usin a MacBook Pro 15" w/ Lion; 10.7.2
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
w/ a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB...

I've tried different Mac ports, but all come up very short... so I got Parallels, an I've been runnin a 64bit version of Windows 7

I ran PCSX2 0.9.7, 0.9.8, playground, "ultimate", all of em, but nuthin aside from playground was ever very stable on my comp..

fps. would float between 18-30.. EE% would go from 38-88 depending on whats happening, and GS% would go between 0-12.. UI never went higher than 2..

I've tried aaalll these different settings, an all different kinds of things, an while some things do help, it never gets to the point where I can enjoy it.. I'm hopin I'm jus doin somethin wrong...
But Obviously it wont hit PS2 regular quality or speed.. but other Emulators I've used on my Mac were pretty smooth, an accordin to everybody elses results, I'm slackin :'(

can one of yall help tho? maybe post images of what you're usin, advice, or whatever you think'll help.. thanks LaughBiggrinHappy
I'm not very familiar with the Mac side of PCSX2, but let me tell you what I know. Smile

Your processor is fairly slow, and your GPU is quite weak.
Emulating most games will surely push it to it's limits, but thet often will not give you good, full speed.

Make sure you keep the internal resolution low (i.e. Native).
Enable Speedhacks, and apply more to the slider(s) as needed.
This will typically show you about the best your system can do with the given game.
:\

thanks for layin it out for me, but now I dont feel any better about the situation lol

There's this one thread about "good settings for low end comps" or somethin... that one didn't help much.. I've had some success with the speedhacks tho...

question tho... Which version of pcsx2 is.. better? I got a buncha dif versions currently downloaded an I've been skippin thru em lol but I really wanna hit one, an jus stick with it
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Sad

On what PCSX2 version, the best may depend on the specific game if something needing fixing got fixed more recently, or inadvertently got broke somewhere along the way. Typically the latest official and stable release does best (currently 0.9.8).

If I remember right, Kingdom Hearts 2 has run pretty well for some time, but you may ultimately be looking at a GPU limitation with it. Have you tried entering a custom internal res below that of native (i.e. 384x384)? Or allowing 8-bit Textures?
0.9.6 is the highest version for mac
with video plugin zz oglpg 0.1.0 being the newest video plugin.

KH2 should run fine on your computer with speedhacks and other settings tweaked for performance. Make sure that you're not running anything extra on your computer to enable all resources. So no internet browser, perferably no music, etc etc.

With your machine and speed hacks, a custom fps limiter and clamp modes set to lowest you should be able to run the game with a decent fps...
(01-04-2012, 04:11 AM)Rezard Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Sad

On what PCSX2 version, the best may depend on the specific game if something needing fixing got fixed more recently, or inadvertently got broke somewhere along the way. Typically the latest official and stable release does best (currently 0.9.8).

If I remember right, Kingdom Hearts 2 has run pretty well for some time, but you may ultimately be looking at a GPU limitation with it. Have you tried entering a custom internal res below that of native (i.e. 384x384)? Or allowing 8-bit Textures?

8bit textures is not required for KH2, actually it kills fps