..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Custom Shaders for GSdx
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
that SSAO shader doesn't look bad for a start. how'd ya do it? is that based on color or you did edge detection? also...

you can recode the plugin to have access to the depthbuffer as a texture if you'd want that. just saying.
Yeah, the shader thing should be updated to give access to depth buffer for such effects. Also, to pass on some macros with window/render sizes like Pete's OGL2. And also, some random number/timer/counter for noise effects.

That was the idea, this was the start... and it kinda stalled. =P

#EDIT: Also pass on custom parameters, and make it GUI friendly and all that fancy user friendly stuff.
yeah. perhaps that'd work great @krossx. but the whole post shader thing is a lil too much of gimmick. besides the good AA it's just for xtra eyecandy. the color controls shadeboost now are really worth something more. just saying. don't push it. Wink
(12-08-2012, 06:52 PM)xstyla Wrote: [ -> ]yeah. perhaps that'd work great @krossx. but the whole post shader thing is a lil too much of gimmick. besides the good AA it's just for xtra eyecandy. the color controls shadeboost now are really worth something more. just saying. don't push it. Wink

If everyone thought like that, we probably wouldn't even have PCSX2 now.

KrossX, I say you go girlfriend! Biggrin

I'm with you on it anyway, If I can help, let me know.
xstyla - wrong, post shaders are very important. In fact I wouldn't bother at all with PS1 emulation without them (and I wish N64 emulators had them!).

Keep up the great work.
lol. i didn't say not to do it. just that it's more eyecandy then technical help. means not changing compatibility or anything. so it's a gimmick first. good to have but not that necessary in terms of pure emulation. get it? Wink
Well, without proper extra tools/info being given to the shader mechanism from PCSX2 itself, the shaders are not shaders but they are nothing more than instagram photo effects but just for PCSX2. There is a line separating a shader and an effect and that is that shaders do exactly the same work as effects but they have more info to "work" on like depth, transparency, edge pointers etc. With nothing being given from PCSX2 you are pretty limmited to what you can do, so in the case of antialiasing via a proper effect you get FXAA which is pretty like a controversial topic how good the results are but if you were able to give more info to the shading mechanism you can get what we call today TXAA which is almost a replacement of 8x MSAA for me with equal or less performance used on FXAA. Facts are facts and these don't change no matter what "but"s you can put in an argument.
OT, but I got my color-based SSAO shader working correctly on PCSXR using Pete's OGL2 Tongue I converted a few things like depth checks I had wrong for my old GLSL version for psx.

Have a look below, or in attachments, if anyone's interested.

Obviously this is a sprite background, and it's going off of pixel color, but it's the same in the worldmap/3d space/battles etc.

Shader Off
[Image: off-1.jpeg]

Shader On
[Image: on-1.jpeg]

Do I get a highfive for SSAO on PS1? Tongue
You would be able to do some shaders that would work for Petes opengl2 for epsxe? I would love some FXAA and shaders that Clean up Jaggs on sprites and 3d for my ps1 games that I all use on expse with pete open gl2 plugin.

Specifically I looking for making Text more boxy in games that use both 3d and sprites while still cleaning up the jagges. Btw I tried the gdsxfxaa renamed is shader.fx and put it next to exe for pcsx2 dont see it works cant say i see difference between it and default though.

And if you dont mind an explanation on how you got the shaders to work with pete open gl2 cause I tried alot of shader for the plugin and i never seen difference between any of them also no pete open gl dont use .fx, other then they all remove jaggies from both 3d and sprites and text. but at highest form was super blurry.
I'm not home at the moment, but when I am during the week, I can port the nvidia fxaa to glsl if I have the time. I can also upload my own shader I wrote for Pete's OGL2 a while back, If people wanted it.

It's a multi shader, FXAA, Bloom, and SSAO. Which is configurable via shader settings, and you can also turn each aspect of the shader off, or on, eg: if you only wanted fxaa, or fxaa and bloom, or just ssao etc.

It's the shader used in the FF8 screens above.

What GPU do you have though? it doesn't work as well on older gpu's.