..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Custom Shaders for GSdx
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looks great! Laugh

My only qualm is that in some games, especially ones with dark environments, the shader makes it super dark to the point where some detail is lost.
Some games are very sensitive to shaders. It works much better in bright environments.

Here's an example from Haunting Ground, in which you can't see the cracks on the wall with the shader turned on. Resident Evil Outbreak also suffers from this.

[attachment=43477]
I've updated it a bit further, since. I didn't think anyone was really interested though, so I haven't uploaded it here yet.

@mroussev,
No worries, glad you like it. (Edit: That's the Tales of the Abyss config of the shader you're using btw, it doesn't have bloom on as default, because ToTA already has a strong high pass)

@devina,
Unfortunately, there is no magic config that will look equally good on all games. That is why I've included so many options Tongue, They may look a bit daunting at first, but after tweaking them once, you'll get the hang of them.

For HG I would try a different contrast curve, maybe 11, or 12 (Curves_formula), and also maybe lower the black level detection for the tonemapping (BlackLevel)

You can also (what I do myself) when you find a nice config that you like for a particular game, you can copy it, and save it in a folder called eg: PCSX2Fx -> "Haunting Ground Config" etc, and experiment with settings. You can change anything, that you'd like about the shader visually, via the config settings.
(03-30-2013, 01:26 AM)Asmodean Wrote: [ -> ]I've updated it a bit further, since. I didn't think anyone was really interested though, so I haven't uploaded it here yet.

I'm interested. Could you please upload? Smile
Is there any way to change the default button which toggles shaders? Just asking cause I play with a keyboard and have page up already bound to something else as I use the numpad extensively (and num 9 also happens to be page up)...so in certain games I'm accidentally toggling shaders all the time when I move the camera and whatnot. Tongue

Thanks in advance.
(03-31-2013, 05:12 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm interested. Could you please upload? Smile
Sure thing, will do later. Edit: Should be updated now, in the shader post.

(03-31-2013, 09:41 PM)Finzy Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any way to change the default button which toggles shaders? Just asking cause I play with a keyboard and have page up already bound to something else as I use the numpad extensively (and num 9 also happens to be page up)...so in certain games I'm accidentally toggling shaders all the time when I move the camera and whatnot. Tongue

Thanks in advance.

So far as I know, not at the moment, I'm afraid. What you can do, is add fxaa=1 to GSdx.ini, and the shader will enable itself as default, upon launch. I would seriously suggest playing with a gamepad, if you're not already doing so.
(03-31-2013, 11:54 PM)Asmodean Wrote: [ -> ]Sure thing, will do later. Edit: Should be updated now, in the shader post.

Thanks. If the BLOOM_PASS is enabled, the screen is a little bit too bright; the shadow of character's sprite is almost unnoticeable. Do you have any suggestions? I'm playing Persona 4.

Also, are 4xMSALv2.fx, GSDXFxaa.fx, 5XBR.fx part of PCSX2Fx or separate shaders? If they are separate, is it possible to use them and PCSX2Fx together?
(04-01-2013, 10:21 AM)xemnas99 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. If the BLOOM_PASS is enabled, the screen is a little bit too bright; the shadow of character's sprite is almost unnoticeable. Do you have any suggestions? I'm playing Persona 4.

Well, for one, you could disable the bloom (I'll be changing that when I get a chance anyway, I'm not happy with it), or you can, lower BloomPower, you can lower Gamma, or make BlackLevel higher (BlackLevel is the tone mapping shadow correction, WhitePoint is the white correction)

You can adjust all these, and test easily by hitting escape on your keyboard to pause the emulator, open up the shader, and change the values, then save and resume the emu to see the changes. Try out as many settings as you like to personalise the effects for your own preference. (Read the setting comments, for what they do. If the setting doesn't have a comment, it means I didn't think you should change it)

(04-01-2013, 10:21 AM)xemnas99 Wrote: [ -> ]Also, are 4xMSALv2.fx, GSDXFxaa.fx, 5XBR.fx part of PCSX2Fx or separate shaders? If they are separate, is it possible to use them and PCSX2Fx together?

There's really no point in using those in the current shader. 4xMSAL is inferior to FXAA for PCSX2, the GSDXFxaa, is a much older version of the FXAA already in there, and 5XBR is only nice for really low res sprite games.

I may add Sprite Interpolation, in the next version (2DAA) but you can only use one type of post processing AA at one time anyway. If there is a want for these to be added, they can be added easily enough.
Thanks for the explanation. Your PCSX2Fx shader is totally awesome. I really appreciate it.

Currently, I disable the bloom effect and the graphics look very nice. When I have time, I might try adjust the settings.

What is the different between 2DAA and FXAA? It would be nice if you add it as I guess in some games using 2DAA might be better.

By the way, it seems that enabling FXAA with scaling 3x make the graphics a little bit smoother than scaling 4x. Do you have any idea about this? I thought that the graphics should be smoother with higher scaling.

OT: Is your PSX FX shader supposed to work with ePSXe? I tried it but it didn't work. I'm using a Radeon HD 7870.
FXAA detects edges, and smooths/offsets them, it will be less noticeable/diminishing returns, the higher the resolution is. This is the case with virtually all Antialiasing.

My PSX shader has had virtually no external testing, most people just download and that's it. Very few people actually return with some feedback. I haven't found an appropriate place to post it for testers yet. It should work fine for Nvidia, as it was composed on a 680. I've to sort it for AMD cards (/sigh opengl)

I personally think my psx shader, looks nicer than the pcsx2 one I've done, but I'm not actually finished with either yet, they're pretty big, so far as these shaders go. The psx version should also work with Aali's Final Fantasy PC Driver, but I've yet to test it, as I don't have it installed currently. I won't be uploading it to Qhimm, until I'm able to tested it.
Asmodean, I haven't forgotten about the shader, I just haven't had time due to work and now being sick with pneumonia.

Once I'm healthy i will get you some feedback. No worries Laugh