..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legend fixes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, well like most people I only came to the Pcsx2 to play the classics, now that I've lost my memory cards for my old games. I followed all the steps and converted my old Jak and Daxter game disc into an ISO playable on the PC, (NO! I don't know nor care where to get an illegal ISO of the game, Jak 2 sells for 3$ now so I presume the first game would be MAYBE a dollar. I suggest backing up your CD on your computer.)

Anyone who has played the game on the Pcsx2 emulator knows about the three main bugs: extreme lag from the start, missing eyes, and shadows coming up from the ground. I know fixes for some but not all, and some fixes can't be combined.

Lag bug: Personally I use this configuration on Gds -
Direct3D9 (Hardware)
Interlacing - Weave bff (second one), this fixed the shaking screen and didn't make the visuals look horrible.
[Scaling is up to you]
Texture filtering, Logarithm Z, and Alpha correction should all be checked.

Now go to emulation settings > Speedhacks and set them to this:

EECyclerate should be at 2, I don't put it on 3 because I can't play without the audio. All 'other hacks' under EECyclerate should be checked, they don't cause any noticeable problems.
VU Cycle stealing should be set to 2, I've tried higher options and they don't really help as much as they cause problems. Turn on only the flag hack.

I set my Interpolation on SPU to Cubic, only because I thought it helped, dunno if it does.

Eye fix: You can fix all characters eyes, at the cost of annoying shadows and coarse graphics. Just set your GDS plugin to Software mode. I wish I knew how to use software mode without the ugly graphics. Anyone have an idea?!

Shadow fix: Go into the root directory of PCSX2 and open your inis folder. Inside you'll find Gsdx.ini. Open the file up and at the end of your file add AllowHacks=1
Then open up your plugin settings, (where you changed texture filtering etc), and set Skipdraw hack to 5. Fixes the shadows completely, and I use SSE41 if that matters.

If anyone knows how to fix the lag (because I lag alot still) or how to fix the eye glitch without the ugly graphics please help! Otherwise I have to go out and buy new memory cards to play it on my PS2 and I'm not sure my disc is in the best condition.

--Known bugs with the fixes--
When you're using the shadow fix, the skipdraw hack causes some items and models in the game to become distorted or invisible. I have only SEEN one so far and haven't heard of any more so the hack does work. The glitch is at the 200 pounds of fish minigame, if you have the hack on then the edge of the net is invisible.

Almost all of the catapault rocks and other rocks on Misty island become invisible. Also the screen sometimes flashes during cutscenes in Rock Village. The red rats are missing a texture in their ass in boggy swamp.
Try pressing Insert while in GSdx software mode. It enables mipmapping which is said to help with this game
(02-28-2012, 11:53 PM)Bositman Wrote: [ -> ]Try pressing Insert while in GSdx software mode. It enables mipmapping which is said to help with this game

Bout to try it, also edited the topic with a list of bugs that the Draw hack does cause.

Edit: I saw no difference in the graphics when I pressed insert.
I just got into PCSX2 a couple days ago and this the first game I tried, So I'm not to knowledgeable on the program. But alpha hack stopped the shadow problems for me, don't think I even tried offset hack, I'm running with Direct3D11 because my computer can handle it, I think I use about the third interlacing mode (I just press f5 until I know its the right one >.>) other than that I just set preset hacks to 4. Game runs smooth, sound is pretty decent, There's still black eyes but I really don't know if there's anything you can do about that.
(02-29-2012, 12:14 AM)stanford Wrote: [ -> ]Bout to try it, also edited the topic with a list of bugs that the Draw hack does cause.

Edit: I saw no difference in the graphics when I pressed insert.

MipMap is enabled automatically in software mode. Just using software rendering should fix all your graphics problems (but yea, we know it's slow).
(02-29-2012, 01:02 PM)Millor Wrote: [ -> ]I just got into PCSX2 a couple days ago and this the first game I tried, So I'm not to knowledgeable on the program. But alpha hack stopped the shadow problems for me, don't think I even tried offset hack, I'm running with Direct3D11 because my computer can handle it, I think I use about the third interlacing mode (I just press f5 until I know its the right one >.>) other than that I just set preset hacks to 4. Game runs smooth, sound is pretty decent, There's still black eyes but I really don't know if there's anything you can do about that.

I posted the fix for it.
Sorry for necroing a thread, it's just this thread is the #1 result on google for those searching for an eye fix, and I found a nearly complete solution for giving jak and the right side of daxter eyes, and made sure it's reproducible that is bound to help some people who can't cope with the soul sucking pits found on the main character's faces and don't have an ultimate CPU gameplay that is unplayably slow.

The method is to start the game in software mode, and (thank goodness naughty dog put jak and daxter into the opening title sequence or I wouldn't have found this out) and go through the sequence until jak and daxter are both in view. then, exit the game via hitting escape, making the game still "run" in the background. then, change the game back to hardware mode and play it by doing a "fast" reboot. (full works too and was reproducible for me) then, there is a chance you will have both of jak's eyes as they should be (I think the right eye doesn't blink) and only daxter's right eye (still a black hole for a left eye, I tried for hours to mess with things to get both to no avail) the other chance is that their eyes will be there, but will look shiny and discolored. I got that a few times while trying this, and my solution was to completely exit pcsx2 and try again from the beginning.

after a long time of messing with settings without rebooting pcsx2, I was able to get daxter's left eye, but only with that weird shiny eye glitch. if anyone wants to continue with that lead, I'd love to know what you come up with.

I tried it on directx 9 and 11, but on 9 this solution makes the eyes they get looking upwards for some reason. It is completely reproducible for me with my settings (not too different from default) so hopefully it will work for others. I didn't test it with too many permutations of the settings, I've seen daxter do that jig probably 100 times by now.

This doesn't fix anyone else's eyes, only jak and 1/2 of daxter. everyone else is eyeless. furthermore, my guess is that if you were to render anything you wanted in software mode with eyes in game, then do the procedure mentioned above, there would be a chance to see their eyes. Also, the shadow fix works just fine as well, I have my skipdraw set to 2 with no issue. the game is now 3/4 times (get it?) more playable for me, and hopefully it works for everyone else. Good luck everyone.