..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Shadow of colossus running quite slow.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I'm trying to run shadow of the colossus (Hardware Dx11, 1920x1080) using VU cycling 2 and the game still runs quite sluggish, It's not a great experience, it says I'm getting 60fps but it feels like 15-20fps and is almost unplayable, is there anything I can do to improve this? Specs below, thankyou very much.

Phenom X6 1090T @ 4ghz
6870 @ stock
Use native mode in gsdx or at most x2 since usually upscaling will cause a slowdown
get the latest SVN and try MTVU, it may improve the speed cause it will allow the use of a third core, Also try lowering VU cycle steeling, it can sometimes cause false FPS readings
You will need to use some VU Cycle Stealing with this game,
whether you like it or not.

The game can still feel off when at 60fps.
It's just unique in the way it was made to use the PS2.

You can try utilizing the Turbo feature of PCSX2.
Set the Turbo to around 150% in the Emulation Settings.
Toggle Turbo mode in-game with the Shift key.
(03-05-2012, 12:37 AM)Rezard Wrote: [ -> ]You will need to use some VU Cycle Stealing with this game,
whether you like it or not.

The game can still feel off when at 60fps.
It's just unique in the way it was made to use the PS2.

You can try utilizing the Turbo feature of PCSX2.
Set the Turbo to around 150% in the Emulation Settings.
Toggle Turbo mode in-game with the Shift key.

I gave the turbo thing a go, it just seemed to make everything go faster but didn't improve smoothness, still feels like I'm playing 15fps., I heard there's something like MTUV or similar which utilizes multiple cores to emulate rather than just two?
I also changed the resolution to native and it's exactly the same, except it also looks much worse.
I do appreciate the help though, thankyou thus far!
Make sure you're not using any other Speedhacks than the VU stealing.
I can tell you from 5Ghz,
it is single handedly responsible for me getting even 60fps on the read out.

Make sure you're not using too high of a internal resolution.
Just use native for now. More should certainly be possible in the long run.

Also make sure you haven't changed so much from the default settings of PCSX2.
If you're unsure, just clear the settings and start fresh.

The work-in-progress of the PCSX2 emulator can be downloaded from our main site.
The MTVU hack (under Speedhacks) can prove useful, indeed.
It can also have negative impact on a few games.
It's always worth giving it a try.

lnk to official SVN downloads
(03-05-2012, 01:01 AM)Rezard Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure you're not using any other Speedhacks than the VU stealing.
I can tell you from 5Ghz,
it is single handedly responsible for me getting even 60fps on the read out.

Make sure you're not using too high of a internal resolution.
Just use native for now. More should certainly be possible in the long run.

Also make sure you haven't changed so much from the default settings of PCSX2.
If you're unsure, just clear the settings and start fresh.

The work-in-progress of the PCSX2 emulator can be downloaded from our main site.
The MTVU hack (under Speedhacks) can prove useful, indeed.
It can also have negative impact on a few games.
It's always worth giving it a try.

lnk to official SVN downloads

Thankyou for the link, I'll give the MTVU a try now and report back, I'll also disable all other speedhacks other than VU stealing (is 2 recommended?).
Also, by "I can tell you from 5Ghz" are you referring to the clock speed on your processor? The 2500k is a completely different kettle of fish to the X6, in terms of raw processing power they're both fairly equal if all cores are utilized, however due to the low IPC of the X6 (100% performance split over 6 cores rather than the four on your sandy) low threaded applications such as this don't do as well, which is a shame, if it used all 6 threads then we'd be talking Biggrin.
Okie doke, gave MTVU a shot and it doesn't seem to do anything for me either, I tried it by itself and with VU stealing set to "2".
However it could be VU stealing, with it off I get around 40-50 FPS meaning everything is in slow motion, and with it on I get the very frustrating seemingly low FPS gameplay.
Aha! MTUV + EE Cycling at "3" seems to do it perfectly, smooth, 60fps, no juttering or low FPS gameplay!
(03-05-2012, 01:54 AM)Eltocliousus Wrote: [ -> ]Aha! MTUV + EE Cycling at "3" seems to do it perfectly, smooth, 60fps, no juttering or low FPS gameplay!
...and you'll surely get random crashes...
Pages: 1 2