..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: mtvu hack question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Under the presumption I got from everyone that recommended this is that it runs on another thread on you CPU. My question is if I turn off hyperthreading on my CPU will it still run the MTVU hack like its running on a third core. Reasons i'm asking is because I am trying to reduce the heat my cpu is producing and I have read serveral threads that turning off the Hyperthreading can do this.
if you turn off hyperthreading, you'll be limited to however many Physical cores you have, if you have an i7 with 8 logical cores, then you have 4 Physical cores and MTVU should still work, if you have a dual core with four threads, don't disable hyperthreading+^_^+ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading
I am currently running an i7 2600k processor, and I am getting 65 degrees celsius~ with max stress testing, I just want to reduce it and I think that from what I have read the hyperthreading can be turned off to reduce the high temps so I was considering doing it. the only programs I run on my computer are WoW, and few other games and PCSX2 which none of them ever reach max capacity on my cpu so having 8 logical threads doesn't increase the performance or so I would think.
if you want to run it in software mode, you can tell pcsx2 to use as many SW threads as you want to. In that case, more than 4 cores may be useful.
(03-11-2012, 10:46 AM)Flokk Wrote: [ -> ]I am currently running an i7 2600k processor, and I am getting 65 degrees celsius~ with max stress testing, I just want to reduce it and I think that from what I have read the hyperthreading can be turned off to reduce the high temps so I was considering doing it. the only programs I run on my computer are WoW, and few other games and PCSX2 which none of them ever reach max capacity on my cpu so having 8 logical threads doesn't increase the performance or so I would think.
65° under stress testing isn't too bad, not bad enough for me to turn off hyper-threading+^_^+ it's when you hit the 70-80° mark that you should be scared (with a desktop anyway, laptops these days like to run hot. 61° idle state at stock frequencies for mine)
I think it was more for me to push the OC even higher than 4.9 more so than anything but yeah, I understand. I think i'm gonna just try it and see how PCSX2 and wow run and then decide from there what I want too do.
(03-11-2012, 11:18 AM)Flokk Wrote: [ -> ]I think it was more for me to push the OC even higher than 4.9 more so than anything but yeah, I understand. I think i'm gonna just try it and see how PCSX2 and wow run and then decide from there what I want too do.

Ok! best of luck!! although considering what you play (WoW, PCSX2) isn't 4.79 GHz more then enough? (I'd give for that, i can barely maintain 60FPS at native as it is, still better then my PS2 though! i5-2410 on a mobo that can't be OCed by any means... can't wait to build a new rig+^_^+)
I don't like using CPU-Z's that get rejected don't know why it is rejecting it when I have the OC at 4.9 ghz, it is good enough I just have this rig to play around with and use until i get my ~new~ rig in April, but assuming yes it is good enough I just want to see what more I can do and right now 60 - 65 degrees is the highest I am willing to go in temp before stopping. So It's really more of a dry run for me. But I still want to be able to run the games I plan on running only on the rig without issue and about 90% of my time now has gone to pcsx2 I can't get enough of the old games I used to play xD. So that's why I am asking about the HT for this specifically i could care less if wow runs slower with it off. Also I gave you a rep up you're really helpful!
Turning off hyper-threading will cool your cpu down around 5c but if your only getting 65s under full load then i dot see a reason too. My laptop gets up to 80c under full load and its happy to sit there for hours, so i wouldn't worry Smile
hyperthreading disabled can drop a processor a good 15c with the right cooling
Pages: 1 2