..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: [bug report] GSDX- Sky and lighting FX in "Black"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My hardware:

Dell XPS420 (Q6600 @ 2.4ghz, Radeon HD 3870x2, 4gb RAM, Windows 7 x64)

Macbook Pro (June 2009) (T9600 @ 2.83ghz, Nvidia 9600M, 4gb RAM, Windows 7 x64 via bootcamp)

In the game "Black" (Criterion Software), the skybox is not visible if the game is started with either the DX9 or DX10 hardware renderer. If the game is started with either the DX9 or DX10 software renderer, when you go in game the skybox is correct and you can switch to the hardware rendered to speed up the emulation.

Unfortunately the hardware renderer does not show any of Black's depth-of-field, blur or lighting effects.

Screenshots to follow.

Kind regards
Dave
Game started in software mode, sky and lighting rendered correctly
[attachment=31724]

Game started in hardware mode, no sky or lighting effects
[attachment=31725]

Toggled from hardware mode to software mode with F9 - lighting effects are back again, but the sky is gone
[attachment=31726]

I don't know if it is my aging eyes, but the software mode screenshot seems to be 16-bit colour. Is that by design?
I don't know if this is useful, but I just found out that if you enable HW hacks, and set Skipdraw=3 then the reflective glass in windows will become visible in hardware mode. I didn't find anything that would enable the lighting effects though despite trying up to 25.

Kind regards
Dave
The GS has a dither mode which this game seems to use in sw mode, yea.
Dithering is not needed (or supported) in hardware modes.
(04-22-2012, 05:36 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]The GS has a dither mode which this game seems to use in sw mode, yea.
Dithering is not needed (or supported) in hardware modes.

Thanks for that, is there any way to toggle the dithering feature?

Kind regards
Dave
I did some reading around and found about about how GSDx handles post-processing (or rather doesn't) and found a thread about Metal Gear Solid and the discussion there was pretty enlightening.

I guess the missing graphical effects then are done in post-processing, which explains why they are not drawn in hardware mode because for whatever reason it can't be done.

I had a look in the GSDx code, and I see that there is a function that implements certain hacks based on the current game by setting particular skipdraw values. In this case I know that Black benefits from setting Skipdraw=3 (so you can see the glass in the windows), perhaps it should be added to the game-specific hacks function?