..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: How to make pcsx2 run faster (I know this has been asked before...)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello fellow emulator players. I haven't used this emulator for years and I know this question has been asked before (since I read some threads that were posted for this same question) but do anyone know of any kind of configurations that can help make the pcsx2 run faster? Besides overclocking because I want to have that as my last option. I have the recent version of pcsx2 (of what I can find) and I tried running my Monster Rancher 4 game from an iso (I tried by cd but it gives me the bsod every time). The game can run, but it is a bit slow even though my fps is at around 55-60fps. Here are my specs and pcsx2 configurations:

32-bit Windows 7 Professional
3GB Ram
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ 2.8GHz
NVIDIA Geforce 9500 GT

pcsx2 configurations:

GSdx 5280(MSVC 16.00, SSE2) 0.1.156
-800x600 60Hz Resolution
-Direct3D10(Hardware) Renderer
-Auto Interlacing
-Stretch Aspect Ratio
-Native PS2 resolution D3D Enhancements
-Disabled Shade Boost
-Texture Filtering
-Allowed 8-bit textures
-Disabled HW Hacks
-Disabled edge anti-aliasing

LilyPad svn(r5258) 0.11.0 (using my MadCatz Xbox360 controller)

SPU2-X r5259 2.0.0
-Default settings

Linuz Iso CDVD 0.9.0
-Default Settings with no compressing or decompressing iso

USBnull Driver 0.7.0
FWnull Driver 0.7.0
DEV9null Driver 0.5.0

Any help will very much be appreciated Smile. If you believe it is the sound settings then I will need help on that, I usually leave settings at default if I don't understand what they do or what effect it will have.
Im sure this has been posted before but..

make sure your DirectX drivers are up-to-date
make sure your GPU/screen-drivers are up-to-date
close other running programs in the background
on Speedhacks, activate every speedhack that does not break
the game

test how the game performs in Turbo/disabled framelimiting

make sure your EE/IOP & VUs & GS & GS Window settings are optimal..

try a smaller Screen Resolution (if you're low on VRAM, this may help)

make sure your plugins are up-to-date, and specially GSdx.

in GSdx window, disable interlacing, and try all the different rendering modes (or at least, check both Hardware rendering fps and Software rendering FPS) - although in your case, i believe your GPU (hardware-rendering) is better than your CPU (software-rendering) !!

also, since you're in windows 7, make sure windows 7 Power Options mode is "High Performance" ("Balanced" is default in windows 7) (also i suggest turning it back to "Balanced" when you're done. High-Performace makes your CPU sweat and use much more power than Balanced, also it makes your pc hotter)

if any mods here knows a more thurow answer, please delete this post
I know this sounds rather simple, but try to close any open internet browser as well. That should give some little speed boost.
(06-17-2012, 07:56 AM)Gespenst Wrote: [ -> ]I know this sounds rather simple, but try to close any open internet browser as well. That should give some little speed boost.

better say close any resource hog background apps before running pcsx2
Truth be told by looking at your system specs the speed you are getting is like heaven..
Pcsx2 slows down even on mid range rigs on most games so your best bet would be to get a proper upgrade if you are planning to do that anytime soon.
Happy emulating Smile

And if you want help on upgrading and choosing the right components please post back.
We are more than happy to help you out Laugh
(06-17-2012, 04:37 PM)PostalDude Wrote: [ -> ]Truth be told by looking at your system specs the speed you are getting is like heaven..
Pcsx2 slows down even on mid range rigs on most games so your best bet would be to get a proper upgrade if you are planning to do that anytime soon.
Happy emulating Smile

The speed is pretty nice but I am planning to upgrade my computer soon after I pay off my loans from college (working as a temp engineer for a game company right now). Thanks everyone for the help. Now I'm going to go through the settings and change them a bit to increase the visual appearance while keeping my steady 60fps that I have now.
Does this really works??

Please am new to this website , I just want my emulator to be faster cause I have alot of games
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.