..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Help upgrading computer to run PCSX2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(Don't see a pure tech-support forum, so I hope this is the right place to ask.)

Trying to swap over and use this instead of my regular PS2, as it is in the process of (slowly) dying, ran into problems attempting to run it. Bit of a hardware moron, but apparently my current graphics card (Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller) (I Think. Only graphics related item in my device manager.) isn't up to snuff, since I'm told I'm not compatible with Pixel Shader 2. Now, obviously I need to replace my graphics card, but I have NO idea where to go to replace it, or what kind of card to get that would work with this program. Can anyone point me at one that is both cheap and functional? I plan to ditch my current PoS desktop in about a year, and convert to a custom-built laptop, so I don't want to sink a ton of money into this.

Also, how can I tell if my processor is up to running this? Requirements say * CPU that supports SSE2 (Pentium 4 and up, Athlon64 and up), but That's all greek to me. From the control paner, system icon gives me a window which labels my computer as:

Intel®
Celeron® CPU 2.00Ghz
2.00Ghz, 512 MB of ram.

(Yes, it says 2.00 ghz twice, don't know why.) Is that supposed to be my processor speed? Kept line structure intact there, if it matters.

Finally, while 512 is the minimum listed, I'm also looking at upgrading that as well. For my Windows XP Service Pack 2 computer, would upgrading to 2GB be enough?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
I don't have suggestion about your graphics card but I can say that your CPU will degrade your performance in PCSX2 a lot even with speedhacks turned on. Sad
your system, as a whole, is well below the minimum requirement for what i would consider the lighter games.
Which part? I already mentioned attempting to upgrade the RAM and Video card... Processor need it too? And if so, is it even possible to upgrade the processor without replacing the entire innards?

Please keep in mind, I'm not exactly intelligent in this regard.

Edit: And, if so, just how far should I upgrade the various components? (again, cost is an issue, though information will also go towards that future-to-be-built computer.
(09-21-2012, 07:09 PM)Lord Light Wrote: [ -> ]Which part? I already mentioned attempting to upgrade the RAM and Video card... Processor need it too? And if so, is it even possible to upgrade the processor without replacing the entire innards?

Please keep in mind, I'm not exactly intelligent in this regard.

Edit: And, if so, just how far should I upgrade the various components? (again, cost is an issue, though information will also go towards that future-to-be-built computer.
I couldn't make up from your information if you had a old or newer Celeron CPU, but your Graphics chip is from 2004 so I assume it's rather old already.

No, your motherboard got a CPU socket and newer CPUs don't fit in there. It also doesn't support DDR3 RAM and doesn't have a PCIe slot for newer videocards and your HDD is a lot slower than the standard nowadays. Upgrading your current desktop would be a waste of money in my opinion.

You could pretty much throw everything in it away if you decide to get a new desktop if you wanted. Tongue

I'd advise to buy a new desktop. If you could tell me your budget I might be able to help you out.
Got around $300 at the moment. If I don't spend *ANYTHING* I can pull around $80 additional to that a month. (I am literally paid less then minimum wage, but in the current economy... I won't complain.) If it helps, I have NO objection to hitting a 'bare minimum' setup, and adding more to it later. But yes, anything you can tell me about how to go about building a new computer, be it laptop (preference) or desktop, capable of running PCSX2 with 90% of games at full tilt (Based off computer capability. I know the emulator will never be perfect, and as such some problems will arise, but I want to make sure the problems AREN'T from my computer), would be MORE then appreciated. About my only real requirement is using Windows XP as an operating system. I will NOT touch vista with a 10 mile long pole. Too many conflicts, and too much old software that would stop working. (Like **** I'll give up my classic games just because they're old.)

Do please remember though, that I'm a hardware moron, so any information you give kinda needs to be idiot-proofed... *grins*

Edit: And yes, I do know that 300$ isn't going to build a computer. I'm WELL aware of that. I expect the minimum cost for a bare-bones build to run in the 500-600$ range, with more money for upgrades down the line.
If I'm not mistaken Newegg is the best and cheapest place in America to build your own desktop so I used that, I wouldn't go with a Laptop if you are tight on cash.

I couldn't figure out how you can link a shopping cart on Newegg so I just made a printscreen of it for now.

http://imageshack.us/a/img528/9836/2142.jpg

With the i3 you would be sitting around 380~ dollar and with the i5 you'd be around 480~ dollar. Though i3 can emulate pretty much everything too, it's still a dual-core, with the i5 you're pretty much set for a looong time and it gives you options for the future because it's unlocked for overclocking. Tongue

I didn't add a graphics card because for emulating both the HD2000 and HD3000 do a decent job, it's not really gonna hold you back. It's better to buy a expensive cpu than to waste money on a mediocre cpu and graphics card. You can always save up and buy a graphics cards and better power supply later.

You probably know someone that could help you putting everything together. Tongue A pre-build isn't really that much more expensive, you have decent pre-builds in the 500-600$ range.
http://i.imgur.com/7gF1f.png What about a good ol' i7? Considrably cheap and surprisingly one of the best. Oh and the pic looks kinda weird because I screencapped it on my phone.