..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix 60fps hack.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Hey everybody, I didn't know where I should put that but If you are curious how the game would look in 60fps instead of somekind of unstable 30fps here's a trick you can do if you have a pretty decent machine to handle it.

First go to GS Settings and set the Base Framerate Adjust to 200%.
This will result the game to have double speed which is from 59.94 to 119,88. Check if you get stable near that framerate without serious slowdowns, if you do you most possibly can get 60fps without any issue.
Next step, is go to SPU2-X and set the Synchronizing Mode to Async Mix. This should fix the crazy speedup of audio. (Except the game music I think but I try to find a workaround on that too)
Last, in order to kill that double speed effect from the game, add to your pnach cheat this line:

Code:
// Half game speed
patch=1,EE,20349E0C,word,3F000000 // 3F800000

or use Cheat engine to modify the address 20349E0C to 3F000000.
This should bring back normal speed to the game but the effective framerate is still double so from 30fps you get 60fps and the game looks two times smoother.

For now I can't fix the music so if you get annoyed by it I could post a cheat to mute it, everything else should work fine.

I bet this would work with other games too that you have control of their ingame speed.

Cheers!

EDIT:

Representing addresses/codes for the normal versions of Kingdom Hearts 2:

NTSC-U
Code:
// Half game speed
patch=1,EE,20356F3C,word,3F000000 // 3F800000

PAL
Code:
// Half game speed
patch=1,EE,203795E4,word,3F000000 // 3F800000

EDIT 2: Alternate Method (Code Native):

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Kingdom-H...#pid309055

EDIT 3: There's a new code for the Final Mix version of the game that lets you enable 60FPS but has a conditional that whenever a cutscene comes it will revert to 30FPS to avoid double speed. I guess this is the recommended code to use.

It is included on Useful Cheats folder on the PS2 Widescreen Archive:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Wid...#pid271674

But before you jump into it here's a known issues list:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Kingdom-H...#pid486254
I wonder if you can unlock the framerate cap by hex code instead of patching or if PCSX2 can unlock all games to 60fps or higher
I bet you can, but there are dozens of stuff depended on that would affect alot of other stuff like the game's timer and the Atlantica minigames.
Let's hope the sound is the only thing going out sync with that patch. Can you report the overhead in terms of EE usage over the normal play, that could help to calculate the minimal CPU horse power to run it.
IS kingdom hearts 2 internally locked at 30fps? What about all PS2 games?
Not all PS2 games are locked at 30fps, but alot if not most of them are.
There are games that will vary even depending on the mode you play them.
Does the trick "modify the address 20349E0C to 3F000000" work on other games?
Sounds like a direct exploitation of the interlace used in the TV output. Unless I misunderstood that hack is like making the game progressive.

Answering a post above, having FPS above 60 is meaningless for the console format, it is not like PC where the events are synchronized by real time.
Now, 30 (or 25) FPS exploits the fact that the FPS is effectively doubled by the interlace at the price of quality, and the extra deinterlace phase needed by PC monitors is not a concern for the console itself.
(12-06-2012, 03:41 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a direct exploitation of the interlace used in the TV output. Unless I misunderstood that hack is like making the game progressive.

Answering a post above, having FPS above 60 is meaningless for the console format, it is not like PC where the events are synchronized by real time.
Now, 30 (or 25) FPS exploits the fact that the FPS is effectively doubled by the interlace at the price of quality, and the extra deinterlace phase needed by PC monitors is not a concern for the console itself.
No no no, it has nothing to do with video output and it's manipulation, there is no difference in the video output at all, it just raises/lowers game's internal speed.
(11-10-2012, 05:04 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: [ -> ](...)
I bet this would work with other games too that you have control of their ingame speed.
(...)

Just an example of same thing forgotten in time. - Soo yeah like in that example you can use this adress in both ways, the other meaning decreasing requirements(for both cpu/gpu) by accurate frameskipping. I mention that mostly couse from the passed time and all little bugs it had with Magna Carta I wouldn't really use it to increase playing quality as fps increase isn't all soo important when the game works as desired, but it for sure is a good way for desperates with very old/weak hardware as anything is better than slow motion and this really was better than built-in pcsx2 frame skipping.
If I recall cinematics weren't affected by it at all, meaning they would run at the emu speed, so instead of setting "Base Framerate Adjust" it's better to set it as turbo and have it under Tab key or R3 with LilyPad hack to quickly switch it back at 100% during them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18