..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: God of War 1 & 2 looks playable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I am here because I failed to solved my issues alone, although I spent some good hours searching the forums for some solutions.

So, here goes. One issue regarding God of War and, ofc, PCSX2.

My hardware config is:

CPU: AMD X2 5600+ @ 3200MHz
GPU: nVidia 9600GT (Dx10 capable)

Software used:

PCSX2: PCSX2 v0.9.6 and PCSX2 v1059 (alternatively ofc, with latest plugins included)

PCSX2 Configuration:

Graphics:

GSdx 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.14

Resolution: 1680x1050 60Hz (or any other - doesn't seem to make any difference)
Renderer: Direct3D10 (Hardware) (or Direct3D9 Hardware - doesn't seem to make any difference)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
D3D internal res: Native or custom (doesn't seem to make any difference)

Sound:

Interpolation: Linear
Module: XAudio 2

CPU Config:

Default settings
Frame limiting: various (doesn't make, again, any difference)

No idea what else I should include to help any of any of you, dear forum users, even more into -if possible- helping me. Smile

So the "problem" is that the game crawls to almost 23 frames per second after starting with 60 in menus, thus changing the game speed to it's correspondent value, linked to the frames per second one gets. Also, with the game, the sound is slowed, exactly like someone would put it's finger on a vinyl and slow it's rotation, releasing it in coordination with the FPS (sry but that's the comparison that came into my mind to describe the game's behavior Smile ).

Please note that this happens NO MATTER what settings I use or change, starting mostly with CPU, GPU settings. Therefore making me think that it might be software related (some settings, plugins, bad configuration, missing activated features).

So I am wondering:

1. Is my system really that slow? I read about people with similar systems getting decent and great performance from games under PCSX2. Isn't a dual-core AMD CPU clocked at 3GHz enough to avoid such slowdowns?
2. Is this performance normal in God of War?
3. Am I missing something? Some settings, plugins I might have skipped?
4. Am I asking the wrong questions?
5. What is the matrix? Tongue

Okay, thx for any kind of input provided and please remember to be kind to non-initiated beings.
(04-26-2009, 03:42 AM)echosierra Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2009, 02:13 AM)GreekAthlon Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-25-2009, 10:32 PM)JafT.64 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-25-2009, 01:40 PM)rammbbs7 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, i just used a different plugin and got rid of fog in gow. I got great internal resolution. Thought this might help some who are new to this. Don't know if i can post these, but complete credits to the developer. Also now i am struck at the temple where an old man is digging a grave. The emulator just hangs with a black screen. I made a patch to skip the video and it dint work. I think the game doesn't use SceMpegIsEnd. The console said unexpected mpeg error.

yeah sorry for that.

Man I looked angrily at the semi-visible face of the old man so many times, when my game hanged at the end of that video.
If you are running the game in 16:9 ratio, turn it back to 4:3. I'm talking about the game internal options, NOT the emulator options. That did it for me.
After passing that video, you can safely turn the ratio back to 16:9.

I haven't yet reached that spot, but i'm curious to know.Glare Do you mean that I have to put the aspect ratio at 4:3 (which I already have) or do you advise as to change the internal resolution to a resolution that is 4:3 (like 1024*768 or 1280*1024)Huh cause I play in 1280*1280?

He means inside of the game, change it to 4:3. You hit start (or select, can't remember) and it brings up a menu with the option to change the aspect ratio.

That being said, I've always run the game at 4:3 and it never froze on me there. No special hacks required, may be your game image.

Just as he says, its inside the game options. While gaming, press the Select button the choose Options, you'll see the option listed there.
(04-26-2009, 10:58 PM)Alias Wrote: [ -> ]Hello!

I am here because I failed to solved my issues alone, although I spent some good hours searching the forums for some solutions.

So, here goes. One issue regarding God of War and, ofc, PCSX2.

My hardware config is:

CPU: AMD X2 5600+ @ 3200MHz
GPU: nVidia 9600GT (Dx10 capable)

Software used:

PCSX2: PCSX2 v0.9.6 and PCSX2 v1059 (alternatively ofc, with latest plugins included)

PCSX2 Configuration:

Graphics:

GSdx 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSE2) 0.1.14

Resolution: 1680x1050 60Hz (or any other - doesn't seem to make any difference)
Renderer: Direct3D10 (Hardware) (or Direct3D9 Hardware - doesn't seem to make any difference)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
D3D internal res: Native or custom (doesn't seem to make any difference)

Sound:

Interpolation: Linear
Module: XAudio 2

CPU Config:

Default settings
Frame limiting: various (doesn't make, again, any difference)

No idea what else I should include to help any of any of you, dear forum users, even more into -if possible- helping me. Smile

So the "problem" is that the game crawls to almost 23 frames per second after starting with 60 in menus, thus changing the game speed to it's correspondent value, linked to the frames per second one gets. Also, with the game, the sound is slowed, exactly like someone would put it's finger on a vinyl and slow it's rotation, releasing it in coordination with the FPS (sry but that's the comparison that came into my mind to describe the game's behavior Smile ).

Please note that this happens NO MATTER what settings I use or change, starting mostly with CPU, GPU settings. Therefore making me think that it might be software related (some settings, plugins, bad configuration, missing activated features).

So I am wondering:

1. Is my system really that slow? I read about people with similar systems getting decent and great performance from games under PCSX2. Isn't a dual-core AMD CPU clocked at 3GHz enough to avoid such slowdowns?
2. Is this performance normal in God of War?
3. Am I missing something? Some settings, plugins I might have skipped?
4. Am I asking the wrong questions?
5. What is the matrix? Tongue

Okay, thx for any kind of input provided and please remember to be kind to non-initiated beings.

have you tried using the speed hacks at all?
Finished the game, yeahhh!!. Now I must really congratulate the Pcsx2 team and the various plugin coders, they have really done an unbelievable awesome job.

And yes, when I say finished, I really mean "rolling-credits-challenge-of-the-gods-unlocked" finished, and not "white/black-screen-after-Ares-battle" finished.

The only problem I had in the final battle was something related to the problem I discussed about the gravedigger video hanging if 16:9 ratio was selected. It happened to the final video after defeating Ares third form, I got a black screen at the end of it, but changing the ratio to 4:3 got me past it, and allowed me to take my rightful throne in Olympus Biggrin.

Now to the setup, hoping you guys could finish it too:
Pcsx2 rev1058 (the latest speed hack works wonder for this game)
-All CPU options checked.
-EE Use 2x Cycle rate, VU Cycle Stealing (Slight speedup), INTC Sync Hack, Enable IOP 2x Cycle Rate, WaitCycles Sync Hack, Idle-Loop Fast Forward.
-Both round modes to Chop/Zero, Both Clamp modes to None, Flush and Denormals checked.
GSdx rev873m modified version
-DX9 Hardware + Pixel Shader 3
-1280x1280 int. resolution, dropped to 1024 in busy places.
-Texture Filtering, Logarithmic Z, Wait VSync, Alpha Correction checked.
ZeroSPU2 0.4.4 (Edited: PlayGround rev665 don't play sounds of FMVs and videos, this older version works fine)
CDVDolio 0.1.0 (someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread, thanks to that guy, maybe this was the one that made the difference)
Lylipad rev1025

About the modified version of the graphics plugin I can't tell you much, aside from pressing the Compile button I don't know anything about programming so you'll have to google for it just like me.

Now it sound fine until now, but I had some annoying graphic/sound problems, the most notable was that the FMVs lacked sound, aside from the introductorial one. Maybe because some speedhack, but I already knew them so I was just happy running the game at full-speed.
Some floor, wall and ceiling textures disappeared in some sections of the game when looking at them from a certain angle, but it didn't impeded me from continuing, and they were really just a few sections.
I also had some strange white screens during the video before the battle against the 100 Kratoses, but the game continued fine.

Now some screenies Biggrin:
[Image: gowfinished1.th.jpg] [Image: gowfinished2.th.jpg] [Image: gowfinished3.th.jpg] [Image: gowfinished4.th.jpg]
[Image: gowfinished5.th.jpg] [Image: gowfinished6.th.jpg] [Image: gowfinished7.th.jpg]

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some challenges of the gods to beat.
Good luck.

EDIT: Nearly forgot it. My game is a DVD9 ISO image, NTSC-U format, code SCUS-97399.
EDIT2: So you know I resolved the sound not playing on FMVs and bonus videos. It had something to do with the sound plugin I was using, it worked fine before, but I update pcsx2 regularly as the revisions come out. I changed to an older official version of ZeroSPU2 and the sound came back.
(04-27-2009, 02:14 AM)JafT.64 Wrote: [ -> ]Finished the game, yeahhh!!. Now I must really congratulate the Pcsx2 team and the various plugin coders, they have really done an unbelievable awesome job.

Good luck.

questions:

Pal, or NTSC?

and did you have to patch it to finish the game?
(04-27-2009, 02:18 AM)Saiki Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2009, 02:14 AM)JafT.64 Wrote: [ -> ]Finished the game, yeahhh!!. Now I must really congratulate the Pcsx2 team and the various plugin coders, they have really done an unbelievable awesome job.

Good luck.

questions:

Pal, or NTSC?

DVD info added to the main post, and I didn't need any patches just turn the screen ratio to 4:3 to get past exactly 2 videos that hanged in the end.
(04-27-2009, 02:29 AM)JafT.64 Wrote: [ -> ]

Good luck.

questions:

Pal, or NTSC?

DVD info added to the main post, and I didn't need any patches just turn the screen ratio to 4:3 to get past exactly 2 videos that hanged in the end.

hm.. I couldn't pass pandora's bridge without patching it Angry how'd you manage to?

oh.. and it that the greatest hits one or the original?
(04-25-2009, 10:32 PM)JafT.64 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-25-2009, 01:40 PM)rammbbs7 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, i just used a different plugin and got rid of fog in gow. I got great internal resolution. Thought this might help some who are new to this. Don't know if i can post these, but complete credits to the developer. Also now i am struck at the temple where an old man is digging a grave. The emulator just hangs with a black screen. I made a patch to skip the video and it dint work. I think the game doesn't use SceMpegIsEnd. The console said unexpected mpeg error.

yeah sorry for that.

Man I looked angrily at the semi-visible face of the old man so many times, when my game hanged at the end of that video.
If you are running the game in 16:9 ratio, turn it back to 4:3. I'm talking about the game internal options, NOT the emulator options. That did it for me.
After passing that video, you can safely turn the ratio back to 16:9.

wow, just worked perfectly. Wonderful. Thanks a lot.
(04-27-2009, 02:35 AM)Saiki Wrote: [ -> ]

Good luck.

questions:

Pal, or NTSC?

hm.. I couldn't pass pandora's bridge without patching it Angry how'd you manage to?

Its just the original, its a kind of old ISO I had used to make a backup disc. And now that I think of it, I remember having patched it with Toxic Dual Layer Image Patcher to be able to use it on the PS2. But I don't think it could make a difference.
(04-27-2009, 03:54 AM)JafT.64 Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2009, 02:35 AM)Saiki Wrote: [ -> ]

Good luck.

questions:

Pal, or NTSC?

Its just the original, its a kind of old ISO I had used to make a backup disc. And now that I think of it, I remember having patched it with Toxic Dual Layer Image Patcher to be able to use it on the PS2. But I don't think it could make a difference.

yes it could. I used the gh version and had to patch it as well