..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Feedback on my PC upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Old Laptop (4 years old):

Intel i5 2.27GHz / 4GB RAM / GTS 360M

New Laptop:

Intel i7 2.4GHz / 12GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM / GTX 670M

I get pretty good results with my old laptop - I play most games at 2x/2x and get 20-30FPS. I don't know much about computer hardware - will I see a big difference in performance with my planned upgrade?

Thanks Smile
20-30 FPS isn't good on PCSX2 since that's half-speed. As for your new hardware, it looks really good. It should run most games just fine.
(03-04-2013, 04:21 AM)metalmallow Wrote: [ -> ]20-30 FPS isn't good on PCSX2 since that's half-speed. As for your new hardware, it looks really good. It should run most games just fine.

Hmm, at 30 it sounds like the music is playing at full speed and the action feels "right" - isn't 30 fps standard? Higher is always nicer of course...
50 fps for pal, 60 fps for NTSC -> those are the standard fps.
you will get an improvement with this new rig, but it won't be a giant leap.
maybe you will gain from 5 to 10 fps, but not more, I think
i5 and i7 are my top-picks. I been playing Dragon Quest VIII and Gran Turismo 4 on a 3rd-gen i3, and only Turbo would output these games at 30fps to get a 60fps rate. Is your newest CPU 3rd-gen?!
Thanks everyone - yeah I been playing DQ8 pretty smoothly but want to play some platformers and they seem a bit slow. I'll report in a few weeks on how to upgrade results went.