..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Ratchet and Clank on High end hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all! I was able to get Ratchet and Clank ripped from my disk and in an ISO format. With VU stealing at 1 and 3 or more cpu's selected I get a constant 60 fps. It's great! In small areas everything is smooth. However in huge vistas there is considible slow down even though the fps stays at 60. With the limiter off it is in the 90's and the smoothest areas in the 100's granted it's fast. I have tested every setting and nothing makes those vistas smoother. Hardware and Software mode don't help. (I play in software mode it fixes the awful graphics and I can run it!) What do you guys suggest. It's really annoying. I may end up just playing it at an unlocked framerate. Or use turbo when it gets laggy. Turbo being set to unlock the framerrate.

AMD FX-6300 3.6ghz
GPU-Radeon HD 7950
not much you can do, unfortunately.
First, even If your CPU isn't the best for pcsx2, it's still quite good.
But this game will anyways make any CPU suffer. It's ATM one of the most demanding ones.
That game seems to defy the emulation at this point, so it's not only a hardware power issue alone. BTW this game is a known troublemaker and there is not much to do from the end user side to enhance it other than speedhacks and this may make the game sluggish despite the FPS.

Software mode could make things yet slower for that machine but you might want to experiment.
(05-15-2013, 02:02 AM)frillybob Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all! I was able to get Ratchet and Clank ripped from my disk and in an ISO format. With VU stealing at 1 and 3 or more cpu's selected I get a constant 60 fps. It's great! In small areas everything is smooth. However in huge vistas there is considible slow down even though the fps stays at 60. With the limiter off it is in the 90's and the smoothest areas in the 100's granted it's fast. I have tested every setting and nothing makes those vistas smoother. Hardware and Software mode don't help. (I play in software mode it fixes the awful graphics and I can run it!) What do you guys suggest. It's really annoying. I may end up just playing it at an unlocked framerate. Or use turbo when it gets laggy. Turbo being set to unlock the framerrate.

AMD FX-6300 3.6ghz
GPU-Radeon HD 7950

This part, at least, is because you're using VU cycle steal. Essentially what you're doing is "underclocking" the PS2 to make it easier to emulate. So you're getting "full speed" on a PS2 running about half speed.

As mentioned above, the ratchet and clank games are known to be massively PC intensive, so your choices are to try and play it without VU or EE cycle hacks and get frame drop, or to use them and get slow downs.