..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Major Loading issues and Framerate issues! Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Before you reply- NOTE: that I have gone through the entire configuration guide posted and I looked at the hardware requirements guide and my hardware meets the requirements.

I've recently been trying to play Star Wars Battlefront 2. The menus work fine and very smoothly. I've been testing the game on the map Kashyyk. The game loads smooth at first, then the progress bar freezes, it then jumps to the end. When I get in game my frame-rate immediately hits 19 fps. I have the audio is synced with the game so of course it gets super distorted. But the skybox isn't loaded. The sky is completely black and half the map is there. The rest is black unless unless I run towards it then it appears and what is behind me goes black. All core settings are at default except I am trying to run at 1080p (Switching to Native makes little to no difference for some reason)

NOTE: this only happens on Hardware settings of Direct 3D 11. When I go software everything runs a little smoother but still kind of slow. the map and sky is there but everything is extremely grainy (I'm guessing thats normal though)

All the floating particles are abscent the fog exists only in patches on the map and yes I did try enabling HW hack Alpha. This is true even in KH2 it looks like certain effects are missing.

FFX seems to work ok and so does KH2 but since I'm lacking a controller at the moment... I haven't gotten to any fights yet.

Anyways My hardware and software seem more than efficient to run this:
GPU: ATI HD Radeon 6450- Dx11, Shaders 5.0
CPU: Intel core i7-2600 @ 3.40Ghz (8 CPUs)
12Gb of RAM
1.4Tb hard drive 876Gb free space
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I don't know if this helps diagnose my problem or not but I have to rip the ISOs off my games to play off my Hard drive for any hope of playing smoothly. I have a super fast Bluray/DVD drive and yet the game is super choppy and unplayable off the disk.

I've been at this for weeks. Reading and watching tutorials to get this thing to run great. So I'm asking for any suggestions. What am I doing wrong??? Is it my GPU (Not listed in the hardware thread, but supposedly exceeds them)?
"PCSX2 requirements" not counting the needed cpu instructions and libraries are pretty much virtual since it trully depends on a game as each one differs from another;p.

HD6450 is low end gpu that might handle some rare games with slight upscalling, some others only at native and will be the bottleneck at the rest.:]. And that's generally your problem. If you had a limited budget you would do much better getting i5 instead of i7 and at least slightly better gpu, that radeon totally doesn't fit a sandy bridge i7 ~_~.

You can say that "native" doesn't help much, but you should still use it as it generally decreases all gpu work and helps getting closer to pass limitations which might not be too visible by just different res like memory bandwidth which ps2 games love and which your gpu does not have at all on today standards(and much less than the over X yo PS2 console;p). You might try "allow 8 bit textures" which can help on bandwidth limitations, but this depending on game can be as positive as negative on your game speed and might as well give only negative results on such gpu. Generally for hardware mode you would really need to think about upgrading your gpu, really there are way better gpu's around the cost of 1 AAA game, HD6450 was really an awful choice, it's an office class stuff, speed wise it doesn't differ soo much from integrated chips.

You might also think about adding some extra rendering threads(like 3 should be ok) which should speed up a bit software mode as that should be your general choice on that system untill you get a true gaming gpu. And if you care about the effects, software mode should be your general choice to begin with as many effects cannot be emulated properly in hardware and so they're commonly ugly, broken or totally non existent.

Oh and the speed of your dvd drive does not matter;p, PC drives differ by it's working logic from PS2 one, the latter is slow as hell, but spins pretty much all the time, on the other hand pc ones are very fast, but stop when not needed and soo when the game needs more data, pc dvd drive has to take a moment to "spin up" again which causes delay in game. On some drives it can be changed, but it's not worth, pc dvd drives weren't really build for constant use to begin with. And well that's the actual story why you get worser experience playing from dvd than from hdd.Tongue
(06-19-2013, 10:01 PM)miseru99 Wrote: [ -> ]"PCSX2 requirements" not counting the needed cpu instructions and libraries are pretty much virtual since it trully depends on a game as each one differs from another;p.

HD6450 is low end gpu that might handle some rare games with slight upscalling, some others only at native and will be the bottleneck at the rest.:]. And that's generally your problem. If you had a limited budget you would do much better getting i5 instead of i7 and at least slightly better gpu, that radeon totally doesn't fit a sandy bridge i7 ~_~.

You can say that "native" doesn't help much, but you should still use it as it generally decreases all gpu work and helps getting closer to pass limitations which might not be too visible by just different res like memory bandwidth which ps2 games love and which your gpu does not have at all on today standards(and much less than the over X yo PS2 console;p). You might try "allow 8 bit textures" which can help on bandwidth limitations, but this depending on game can be as positive as negative on your game speed and might as well give only negative results on such gpu. Generally for hardware mode you would really need to think about upgrading your gpu, really there are way better gpu's around the cost of 1 AAA game, HD6450 was really an awful choice, it's an office class stuff, speed wise it doesn't differ soo much from integrated chips.

You might also think about adding some extra rendering threads(like 3 should be ok) which should speed up a bit software mode as that should be your general choice on that system untill you get a true gaming gpu. And if you care about the effects, software mode should be your general choice to begin with as many effects cannot be emulated properly in hardware and so they're commonly ugly, broken or totally non existent.

Oh and the speed of your dvd drive does not matter;p, PC drives differ by it's working logic from PS2 one, the latter is slow as hell, but spins pretty much all the time, on the other hand pc ones are very fast, but stop when not needed and soo when the game needs more data, pc dvd drive has to take a moment to "spin up" again which causes delay in game. On some drives it can be changed, but it's not worth, pc dvd drives weren't really build for constant use to begin with. And well that's the actual story why you get worser experience playing from dvd than from hdd.Tongue

Thank you sooooo much. You have confirmed my fears but answered the best out of every website I've asked on haha

I really do need to upgrade my GPU for sure. The PC was a gift from my parents who know nothing about computers. If it was up to me I would have put a HD 6870 in there. I've been trying to get away with this GPU because it runs css and tf2 very well. But Since it can't even run PS2 games that is really sad.

I am on a budget now so I'm thinking of getting a HD7770 or a 7670. Do you think these would upscale and run PS2 games in 1080p at 60fps?
Oh well if it's a gift then still not soo bad;p. At least your parents didn't bought you a 8 core bulldozer(worst cpu for pcsx2 and generally most other stuff;p), would be much harder to exchange that than just getting extra gpu.

HD7770 sure 1080p should be no problem in most games, as for HD7670 it would rather mean typically something around 720p. It'll depend on the games and your other settings alot. I have a budget radeon myself and it's probably worth mentioning once again "allow 8 bit textures" as it helps alot in many games on those gpu's;p. For a comparism with my HD5670 gddr5 version I typicaly use x2(around 720p, but multiplier is typically more accurate) and some FXAA or similar shader x3(~1080p) is generally 5-10 fps under full so I rarely use it. There are few games I need to run at native through since I really like full fps through whole game more than having drops here and there.

Also make note that Nvidia gpu's are usually slightly faster in pcsx2, it not much of a difference usually but with few rare games it can be a bit more noticeable.