..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Persona 4 - Mysterious Framerate Drop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Up until this point in the game, I haven't been having much of a problem at all running it. However, when I started it up today, I found that all of a sudden my framerate is in the pits.

Right now I'm backtracking through a level (Yukiko's castle) in order to take down an extra boss. My framerate is a good 20% below what it usually is in the dungeon, and during the boss battle itself, it's down to only 30% total of its total 60 FPS. In many situations where I'd typically get the full framerate, such as using a skill, I'm only getting 60% or so of the maximum. I've checked my processes to make sure that there isn't anything devouring my memory and restarted my computer -- but this weird slowdown is still persisting.

My specs are as follows:

Emulator:
PCSX2 Playground version 1.0.0395
I've got things set up so that they mirror the settings recommended in this image (apologizes for the compression; it's the only size I have). Thus far, this exact setup has served me well. I cannot think of a single thing that I've done or changed that could have warranted this sudden drop in performance.

Computer:
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.16 GHz
3 GB of memory
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series

Assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Most likely the extra character you got slows down the rendering. Try loading an old save and check whether it is also slower than before.
(02-16-2009, 10:37 PM)VeaaC Wrote: [ -> ]Most likely the extra character you got slows down the rendering. Try loading an old save and check whether it is also slower than before.

Nah, that isn't it. Even after Yukiko joined my party, things continued to run just fine. Last night I completed a spat of training in Kanji's dungeon (with Yukiko), and shut the game and computer off for the night. When I attempted to resume playing this morning, I was suddenly hit with this slowdown thing that I'm now suffering from. Gaining the extra party member isn't the problem.
This means the cause isn't with PCSX2. Maybe some background program slows your PC down ( Antivirus, RAID repair, Defrag... ), your PC is overheating ( the fan is clogged with dust ), you accidentally changed some PCSX2 settings ( Denormals are Zero, DX9 Mode instead of 10, turned MTGS or VU skip off ) or activated some power saving features for your CPU / GPU, updated your graphics driver.....

Maybe it's the additional character. Kanji's dungeon runs faster then Yukiko's, and you didn't notice yesterday. Just try loading an old save, that should clear things up.
how bout trying out the betas or snapshots... They helped my framerate pretty well... just a suggestion
He is using a laptop, it probably switched power modes or something.
Hi Howitzer Smile

I've recently finished Persona 4 on PCSX2 Playground, and the only framerate drops known are either on the commercial district or on some fights where some specific monsters are causing huge drops (like birds with lamps for example, the effects generating trouble).

Like the others said, either your laptop has switched power mode, but I would like to know which version of emulator do you use ? PCSX2 Playground version 1.0.0395 ok but the official one or a newer beta ? Try the new beta in this thread http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3716.html, the game should work better.

Do you often use savestates ? If yes try with another one this one is perhaps corrupted i dunno, or load the game by the menu.

Your FPS is only low in battles or also during the dungeon exploring ?
Did you try another game, in emulator or not ? It's perhaps a problem with your laptop.

On a side note, I never used VU skip mode in Persona 4, i didn't work well on this game for me, with a limit to 60 FPS, i never had troubles in my nearly 90h of gameplay in this game Smile