..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Performance Recording + Facecam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone,

i want to first state my problem:
I make youtube videos and I started to play on the PCSX2 emulator,
first their was no real performance problem when playing, recording the footage and recording the footage of my camcorder. But now somehow it lags like hell, while I didn't change any settings. I am only recording at 720p without anti-alaising or any additional stuff.

To make it short:
PCSX2 + screen capture + webcam recording = lagging of PCSX2

My specs are as followed:
- i5 2500k
- nvidia gtx 560ti
- 8gb ddr3
- 60gb ssd (running windows 8 x64 on it, no additional storage for emulator and games)
- 1,5 tb hdd (two partitions / on first the emulator is installed - second the footage is recorded on)

What would you suggest to make the lagging go away, and be able to record with better graphics (1080p, texture filtering, etc)?
I thought about first formatting my whole system (it needs it anyway) and to go back to win7 x64, i also wanted to buy two hdds for recording (if so, should i put them into raid or put them seperatly?) or maybe one is enough?
where should i install the emulator on and where should i put the iso (which i created from my legal copy of the game, because reading from the dvd-drive was even slower (sound))

Please leave me some "setup" suggestions

Thx in advance
First of all what game you are trying to play then your pc specification,then the settings you use for game.
(09-07-2013, 02:21 PM)VaderPlaysGames Wrote: [ -> ]first their was no real performance problem when playing, recording the footage and recording the footage of my camcorder. But now somehow it lags like hell, while I didn't change any settings.

Just to understand your problem, one day playing and recording works fine without lag, and the next day you do exactly the same but now it does lag?

If that's the case, then clearly something changed in between. If it's not the settings, then maybe it's the game, or your system, or a virus, etc.
I guss maybe you press f9 accidently. Press it again may solve your issue.
(09-07-2013, 04:10 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: [ -> ]First of all what game you are trying to play then your pc specification,then the settings you use for game.

I play Legacy of Kain - Blood Omen 2
my specs are in the first post
the settings are set according to the guide on this forum.
I use the avx gs plugin
Direct X11 (hardware) with custom resolution of 1280x720

(09-07-2013, 04:15 PM)avih Wrote: [ -> ]Just to understand your problem, one day playing and recording works fine without lag, and the next day you do exactly the same but now it does lag?

If that's the case, then clearly something changed in between. If it's not the settings, then maybe it's the game, or your system, or a virus, etc.

Its not one day on another it was like 2 weeks in between, no settings have changed, no viruses, or "system changes", only free space on both disks has changed (less) because that is not the only thing I am recording.

(09-07-2013, 04:24 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: [ -> ]I guss maybe you press f9 accidently. Press it again may solve your issue.

When I press F9 the graphics become ***** as ***** but it still lags in certain areas of a level, or when there are multiple enemies. (without recording, no problems)
(09-07-2013, 05:12 PM)VaderPlaysGames Wrote: [ -> ]Its not one day on another it was like 2 weeks in between, no settings have changed, no viruses, or "system changes", only free space on both disks has changed (less) because that is not the only thing I am recording.

On that case, I'd guess what you need is a new HDD (or free up enough space and defrag, or SSD etc) rather than the settings changes you asked help with in your OP.
Change avx to sse41 or sse2. Because avx works nice in software mode rather then in hardware mode.
(09-07-2013, 06:37 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: [ -> ]Change avx to sse41 or sse2. Because avx works nice in software mode rather then in hardware mode.

Completely irrelevant. These are CPU instruction sets, and you always pick the highest one supported by your CPU in case of SSE. It has nothing to do with which one works best in what type of rendering.
(09-07-2013, 06:37 PM)Brock lessner Wrote: [ -> ]Change avx to sse41 or sse2. Because avx works nice in software mode rather then in hardware mode.

This is wrong. The only difference between the two would be in software mode. Software mode will be slightly better on AVX, in hardware mode there will be no difference between the two.

Being a streamer myself, I can tell you your problem is you're asking too much of your CPU. Your best bet would be lessen the stress via your streaming software. Set the encoder settings to the fastest available. This will lower the quality of the stream a bit, but it should restore the smoothness of the stream.
(09-07-2013, 10:51 PM)Koji Wrote: [ -> ]This is wrong. The only difference between the two would be in software mode. Software mode will be slightly better on AVX, in hardware mode there will be no difference between the two.

Being a streamer myself, I can tell you your problem is you're asking too much of your CPU. Your best bet would be lessen the stress via your streaming software. Set the encoder settings to the fastest available. This will lower the quality of the stream a bit, but it should restore the smoothness of the stream.

Mh... It's just funny that the emulator needs so mush performance, while for instance Saints Row 4 with all the "ultra" settings + recording with fraps uncompressed + record with facecam does not need so much power as the emulator (my cpu is maybe at 70% while playing saints row and recording)
Pages: 1 2