..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: HTPC, HDTV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone!

If I were to set up PCSX2 on an HTPC, and connect the PC to an HDTV, how would it look? I remember hearing that the hardware PS2 is absolutely horrible on an HDTV, no matter which way you slice it. PCSX2 works great on my LED monitor, but I'm a little worried that I'll get a nice, expensive TV only to find out I can't play any of my PS2 games on it. x.x

Thanks a lot. Smile
(11-16-2013, 10:21 AM)AnotherWinter Wrote: [ -> ]Hello everyone!

If I were to set up PCSX2 on an HTPC, and connect the PC to an HDTV, how would it look? I remember hearing that the hardware PS2 is absolutely horrible on an HDTV, no matter which way you slice it. PCSX2 works great on my LED monitor, but I'm a little worried that I'll get a nice, expensive TV only to find out I can't play any of my PS2 games on it. x.x

Thanks a lot. Smile

Depends on size/resolution of TV. I have a 25 inch HDTV (720P) (that only turns on for 10 minutes) and:

The textures look nasty IMO.

But the polys will look great if you can 4-6x it.

Edit: The polys should even look fine on a 4k UHDTV considering 640x480 at 6x is

3840 x 2880

and 4k is 3840 × 2160

I.E. PCSX2 at 6x for most games is higher than 4k resolution.
(11-16-2013, 10:24 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]Depends on size/resolution of TV. I have a 25 inch HDTV (720P) (that only turns on for 10 minutes) and:

The textures look nasty IMO.

But the polys will look great if you can 4-6x it.

Edit: The polys should even look fine on a 4k UHDTV considering 640x480 at 6x is

3840 x 2880

and 4k is 3840 × 2160

I.E. PCSX2 at 6x for most games is higher than 4k resolution.

Aw, damn. I guess I'll have to abandon all hope of playing any PS2 game on a 55 inch TV. :s

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it.
(11-16-2013, 10:27 AM)AnotherWinter Wrote: [ -> ]Aw, damn. I guess I'll have to abandon all hope of playing any PS2 game on a 55 inch TV. :s

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it.

You could just go blind like me and not care. Smile

Vision:

20/60 left eye, 20/120 right eye.

But yes, the textures are gonna look pretty assy at that size.
It would be nice to have a custom texture loading feature like Dolphin has in PCSX2. :o
(11-16-2013, 10:35 AM)metalmallow Wrote: [ -> ]It would be nice to have a custom texture loading feature like Dolphin has in PCSX2. :o

But then someone has to make the textures too.

Bicubic... lanczos... xbrz... anything but bilinear!

I could write any of those in BASIC inside a day. I have written bilinear, bicubic, hqx, scalex, filters in basic before. But then I've said all this before, haven't I? lol

Edit:

FLEH!

I was gonna just look at the texture upscale source code, but the PCSX2 source is freaking huge(I just looked for the first time). Especially counting all the plugins.

My brain breaks at around 3000 lines of code(the biggest program I've written is ~10000 altogether)
As long as there is a community behind it, I think it's way better to redo the textures by hand at a much higher resolution than using a filter.
(11-16-2013, 10:21 AM)AnotherWinter Wrote: [ -> ]I remember hearing that the hardware PS2 is absolutely horrible on an HDTV, no matter which way you slice it. PCSX2 works great on my LED monitor

You can`t compare a real PS2 vs an emulator.
PS2 always runs at Native resolution like 512x448 or 640x480 and that looks horrible on big HDTVs.

If you can run PCSX2 with at least x3 or x4 Scaling it will look good on an HDTV, same as your Monitor maybe even a bit better.
(11-16-2013, 11:02 AM)Grove4L Wrote: [ -> ]You can`t compare a real PS2 vs an emulator.
PS2 always runs at Native resolution like 512x448 or 640x480 and that looks horrible on big HDTVs.
Yeah; I was asking because I was hoping the emulated version would at least be better. Tongue

(11-16-2013, 11:02 AM)Grove4L Wrote: [ -> ]If you can run PCSX2 with at least x3 or x4 Scaling it will look good on an HDTV, same as your Monitor maybe even a bit better.
Good to hear it, then!
I'm using 42" FullHD LED TV - 3d picture looks really good when using scaling x3+
I mostly use x4 or TV's native 1920x1080, and it's almost perfect
do not forget about such incredible thing, as widescreen patches

2d pictures, such as interfaces, look little crappy, but you can lower your TV's sharpness to 20-30%.
it will make interfaces and textures look smoother
another way - there's a possibility of using some shaders to apply some light blur effect to picture

some games, which are to run in software mode for some reason, will look horrible, but definitely better, than running from real PS2,
due to WS patches & antialiasing. in worst cases, emu's scanlines (F7) may also help
Pages: 1 2