..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: will the pcsx2 support to read isz image directly in future version?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have use the XBMC add-on:Roms Collection Browser to make a automative game system in htpc,I cppy many game images from my ps2 dvd,and i have to make the isz image,the isz image have high compression than other image formats, my nas have less space,i want to copy all my ps2 disc to the nas,however the pcsx2 can not support loading the isz iamge,and i need to mount the isz image to virtual drive...finally,let pcsx2 to read the virtual drive,the problem:will the pcsx2 support to read isz image directly in future version?
[attachment=47520]
(12-24-2013, 11:03 AM)jackyyn Wrote: [ -> ]I have use the XBMC add-on:Roms Collection Browser to make a automative game system in htpc,I cppy many game images from my ps2 dvd,and i have to make the isz image,the isz image have high compression than other image formats, my nas have less space,i want to copy all my ps2 disc to the nas,however the pcsx2 can not support loading the isz iamge,and i need to mount the isz image to virtual drive...finally,let pcsx2 to read the virtual drive,the problem:will the pcsx2 support to read isz image directly in future version?
Wouldn't that mean that you'd have to decompress the isz before you can read/mount it though?
(12-24-2013, 11:56 AM)Coornio Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't that mean that you'd have to decompress the isz before you can read/mount it though?

pcsx2 read isz image directly like reading iso image
(12-24-2013, 11:56 AM)Coornio Wrote: [ -> ]Wouldn't that mean that you'd have to decompress the isz before you can read/mount it though?

Is that how it works? I know emulators such SNES, NES, Genesis, cann all read zipped files.

(12-24-2013, 12:59 PM)jackyyn Wrote: [ -> ]pcsx2 read isz image directly like reading iso image

So are you now saying it can read the file? At first you said it can't but now it can? This is confusing.
(12-24-2013, 02:42 PM)fade2black001 Wrote: [ -> ]Is that how it works? I know emulators such SNES, NES, Genesis, cann all read zipped files.

So are you now saying it can read the file? At first you said it can't but now it can? This is confusing.
i meant is there any function in future pcsx2 version that pcsx2 can read the isz image directory without any 3rd tool like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tool,they can mount isz image with their virtual drive.

personally i wouldn't bother with isz files as if the tables get damaged, you lose your entire iso completely.. myself and others have started keeping an NTFS compressed folder on the drive with iso's in, it's not "quite" as good as directly zipping, but it's a lot less likely to be lost.
will it not let you load it if you show all files in the iso browser then select it? all ISZ is, is an ISO compressed with bzip or zlib, both of which i believe is currently supported.
I found this specification of the ISZ format: http://www.ezbsystems.com/isz/iszspec.txt

It appears to be a chunked compression, which is required for random access. Searching through PCSX2 sources, I couldn't find the string 'Isz!' which is the format signature/identifier, which leads me to believe it's not supported natively by PCSX2, but I haven't tried it myself.

PCSX2 does support chunked compression, with a proprietary format using bz, with the Linuz Iso plugin.

However, using chunks (with whatever internal compression) does reduce the compression ratio, since each chunk has to be compressed stand-alone, therefore not compressing redundancies between chunks.

Our experience shows that for compressed images, it's best to use NTFS compressed file. Just right click an iso image, properties, advanced, compress (or for the entire ISOs folder). It's an efficient compression, works fast, and completely transparent as far as PCSX2 is concerned.
(12-24-2013, 05:24 PM)avih Wrote: [ -> ]It appears to be a chunked compression, which is required for random access. Searching through PCSX2 sources, I couldn't find the string 'Isz!' which is the format signature/identifier, which leads me to believe it's not supported natively by PCSX2, but I haven't tried it myself.

This is why i wondered if PCSX2 would just do it anyway, if you read that spec

Quote:Chunk data may be compressed by ZLIB or BZIP2 method.
Worth a shot, but if we'd be betting, I'd have put my money on it not working Wink
I'd like to see support for compressed isz images, too as the usual NTFS compression isn't very good.
Pages: 1 2