..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Got a new PC, will this work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I ordered a new PC and I'll go pick it up this Wednesday.
My last one was an Intel Pentium with Windows 7, 2 GB RAM and 1 GB of Graphics, I could play most of modern games with lag or crashes.

My new PC however is this one:
-Pro AMD FX-8230 X8 4.0GHz, 8MB, Sk AM3+
-1.8 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz Kingston
-1 TB Sata II 7200RMP 300MBs
-MB Asus M5A78LM LX Plus AM3+ DD3 1866 AMD FX Phenom II Athlon V/S/R
-Gab Ackteck Badem 500w mATX (WKGP-010)
-Asus Nvidia GeForce 210 Silent 1GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI
-DVDRW Samsung 22X OEM SATA

:/ Please tell me at least I'll be able to play some stuff.
I'm sorry but your graphics card is really bad. You will be able to play some games at native, but not a lot.
Yeah for best experience you definitely wanna up that GPU.
(01-19-2014, 09:43 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sorry but your graphics card is really bad. You will be able to play some games at native, but not a lot.

Think I'll be able to emulate Castlevania: Curse of Darkness and Forbidden Siren to an at least playeable speed?
You can always just try it. Although I think it will most likely be okay. Maybe some slowdown.
(01-19-2014, 10:43 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]You can always just try it. Although I think it will most likely be okay. Maybe some slowdown.

Ok, I'll do when I have it and tell you how it went Smile
Oh, btw. If you can't run it in hardware mode, you should be able to run in software mode with that CPU. You won't be able to turn on any upscaling or anything, it will be exactly like on PS2. But if you just wanna play it, when the time comes come back here if you can't figure out how to switch to software and need to(because you will also want to set extra rendering threads to 3 or maybe 4)
I personally just use Direct3D Overrider to force Vsync and Triple Buffering in games that otherwise don't have the options to support both of those features.

That said, my experience with ATI cards was hampered by absolutely terrible drivers back then, so I've been with Nvidia the past 10+ years and I have yet to have serious driver issues aside from the odd 'stretching' issue recently. Perhaps it is because I don't update my drivers all the time but only when it has been ~10 revisions that I feel an 'update' might help. I also do what I can to keep backups of the old drivers.

Nvidia drivers are nowhere near as bad as many people have said. Their drivers do have the advantage of not being as 'card-specific' as ATI drivers have been. That means that benefits, bug fixes, and changes to newer cards tend to be able to be more easily backported to other cards that support most of those features.

Other times though, Nvidia will shamelessly rip people off by not mentioning their card can support X feature and not supporting it in their official product. Then people need to use a 3rd party product instead.
In my case, CUDA on-board GPU-based x264 video recording through Nvidia is only *officially* supported by their 600+ series of cards through their 'GeForce Experience' application, while they ignore that the 500 series also supports CUDA and works just fine for recording. Unfortunately, I end up having to use Bandicam for that instead of getting official support for it from Nvidia.

So I'd say pick the company with the card that gives you the best price per performance ratio.
Wrong thread?
For Castlelvania will be fine.