..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: New - ISO compression - help testing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(07-09-2015, 11:30 AM)omnikam Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the pigz tip, it uses all my cores and compresses in around 30-60 sec per Iso
Now a tip for some of you that would like to Automate the process somewhat
1 Put All your Ps2 iso files in a folder, This folder should ONLY contain Ps2 iso`s
2 Put pigz.exe in same folder as Ps2 iso`s
3 create a bat file and paste the following into it (new text doccument with extention changed to bat)
for /r %%i in (*.iso) do (
pigz -9 "%%i")

4 double click bat to start, it will go through every iso in the folder and at maximin compression convert and delete the original iso. If you want to keep the original iso then chang the bat to this

for /r %%i in (*.iso) do (
pigz -k -9 "%%i")

funny enough i did exactly this last night! although I'm using maxcso, i did the following so it deletes the original too

Code:
@ECHO OFF
FOR %%I IN (*.iso) DO (
  maxcso "%%I"
  DEL "%%I"
)
(07-09-2015, 11:41 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]funny enough i did exactly this last night! although I'm using maxcso, i did the following so it deletes the original too

Code:
@ECHO OFF
FOR %%I IN (*.iso) DO (
  maxcso "%%I"
  DEL "%%I"
)
Nice. Dont ya just LOVE how bat scripting never goes out of style Biggrin
(07-09-2015, 11:55 AM)omnikam Wrote: [ -> ]Nice. Dont ya just LOVE how bat scripting never goes out of style Biggrin

Batch files are exceedingly handy Tongue I started CSO'ing everything manually, but i kept forgetting, took ages and got really bored lol. This way i can leave it going when im AFK.

Oh pro tip. Don't run it on an NTFS compressed folder, it will cause blue screens Tongue
Hmm Xenosaga - Episode 1 caused Pcsx2 to crash, first compressed game not to work. Can anyone else confirm its not compatable?
I get an error code -3 index cant be created
(07-09-2015, 03:11 PM)omnikam Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm Xenosaga - Episode 1 caused Pcsx2 to crash, first compressed game not to work. Can anyone else confirm its not compatable?
I get an error code -3 index cant be created

I don't have this game, but for those who do, what exactly are you trying to confirm?

- That the uncompressed game doesn't work?
- That the compression fails? gz? with pigz? or CSO?
- That playing the compressed ISO fails?

etc.

FWIW, I haven't heard any reports where the uncompressed ISO plays fine but the compressed (gz) ISO doesn't.
My first guess is becasue Xenosaga is potentially a dual layer disc (at least the 3rd one is), maybe its a problem with gz and files > 4GB?
(07-09-2015, 03:33 PM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]My first guess is becasue Xenosaga is potentially a dual layer disc (at least the 3rd one is), maybe its a problem with gz and files > 4GB?

IIRC I made sure gz play works with > 4G (before compression) images. I don't think I had images which ended up > 4G after compression (shouldn't be hard to do so, but IIRC I haven't tested it).

Anyway, it's still not clear to me what exactly failed and at what stage.
Yes Avih - That playing the compressed ISO fails
Ive tried on many over 5gig compressed games, All working apart from Xenosaga - Episode 1
Im going to make another image and try again
Looking like a bad or corrupt Iso
Update, Definatly a bad .gz Will report back when i have a fresh one
(07-09-2015, 03:42 PM)omnikam Wrote: [ -> ]Yes Avih - That playing the compressed ISO fails
Ive tried on many over 5gig compressed games, All working apart from Xenosaga - Episode 1
Im going to make another image and try again
Looking like a bad or corrupt Iso

Did you compress to gzip or CSO? If gzip, which program did you use to compress it?

Try this instead:
1. Make sure the original uncompressed ISO plays fine - if it doesn't, then the original image is corrupted.
2. Uncompress the compressed image with 7z.
3. Try to play the new image you just uncompressed (NOT the original uncompressed one).

If it plays, then it probably means that the compression is fine and the issue is within PCSX2.

If it doesn't play then it probably means that the compression somehow didn't work well - try to use a different tool to do the compression.
I used gzip via pigz.exe, unfortunatly pigz deleted my original 8 gig iso
I used 7-z to uncompress the gzip image, but it fails,and if i use unpigz.exe the resulting image is smaller than the compressed image, and corrupt
Unfortunatly this game is part of a collection of Ps2 games stollen from my house during a move, so im not able to create another image. I believe there are two versions of this game, a 3 disc one and a single DL 8 gig version. If anyone on this forum reading this has the 8 gig DL i ask if they might test it and report back
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16