..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: New - ISO compression - help testing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
(05-13-2014, 01:18 PM)avih Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is not to think of approaches for the solutions. You guys seem to get back to this issue, but this is not a problem - all the "solutions" exist and are easy to come up with.

The issue is that it requires much more attention (and code) once you get to actually coding it, and has more pitfalls along the way. So it was not a good first choice. It's certainly a good second choice though, and it always was - once gzip is stable enough.

Please don't try to convince me anymore that lzma2 based formats can be used. I know they can. If you want to help, don't offer approaches, and instead code it yourself, else, take my word that it's a more complex solution and wait patiently until I maybe get to it.

Dude:

Blyss Sarania Wrote:Obviously I'm not pushing the issue, but just suggesting a possible workaround if you ever decide to go this route!

I wasn't trying to convince you of anything. I was just stating my thoughts on the matter. What I suggested was meant as a way to make things easier if you do decide to implement it at some point.
Have you ever thought about lzma2 based formats? I have read somewhere that they can beat the cr*p out of most other algorithms. Maybe one can convince you to include this?
Maybe you read his post?
Great addition avih, I really like it. Someone mentioned that you could compress the .iso files with the Linuz Iso plugin but from my (very limited) testing, 7-Zip achieves a better compressed file using .gz than Linuz Iso does with .bz2. Also seeing as how that plugin was removed from the most recent SVN builds, I'd say this feature is more relevant than ever! I also agree with your point that a standards-compliant .gz file is preferred over Linuz Iso's proprietary .bz2 solution.

One thing I would like to add is that I would love to see PCSX2 raise awareness of this feature. If it wasn't for the fact that I was perusing the forums, I would have never known about ISO compression (PCSX2's built-in one nor Linuz Iso's one) at all. I'm not really sure how you would do that but it's something that I think more people would use if they knew about it.

Cheers!
(04-20-2014, 12:48 AM)avih Wrote: [ -> ]rama and me tested it with few ISOs and bin (from cue/bin pair) compressed files, and it seems to be working well. It should also work with other supported ISO formats like nrg etc, but we didn't test it yet.

Confirmed working with gzipped .mdf files. Smile
(04-28-2014, 04:53 PM)rama Wrote: [ -> ]It's a problem avih Smile
Yeah, it's a problem avih Laugh
I tried to remove it myself, thinking that it might be a temp file being created until I closed PCSX2.

If you need some inspiration, ffms2 call his index *.ffindex and LSMASHSource call it *.lwi.

edit : Ah yeah... Did I say that I like this feature ? No ? Well... now it's done Tongue2
(09-08-2014, 10:41 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: [ -> ]One thing I would like to add is that I would love to see PCSX2 raise awareness of this feature. If it wasn't for the fact that I was perusing the forums, I would have never known about ISO compression (PCSX2's built-in one nor Linuz Iso's one) at all. I'm not really sure how you would do that but it's something that I think more people would use if they knew about it.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-New-ISO-c...#pid372765
(12-31-2014, 10:47 PM)Yama Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, it's a problem avih Laugh
I tried to remove it myself, thinking that it might be a temp file being created until I closed PCSX2.

If you need some inspiration, ffms2 call his index *.ffindex and LSMASHSource call it *.lwi.

edit : Ah yeah... Did I say that I like this feature ? No ? Well... now it's done Tongue2

Knock yourself out Wink https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/commit/e525f9

Examples:
At PCSX2_ui.ini: default: GzipIsoIndexTemplate=$(f).pindex.tmp
$(f).pindex - a popular request.
cache.gz/$(f).pindex - relative to pcsx2.exe (if the dir exists).
%appdata%/pcsx2/cache.gz/$(f).pindex - should end up at 'cache.gz' subdir of the default install docs dir.

If you change the default then you'll have to rename/move the index files yourself or else PCSX2 will just create a new one according to the new template.

Note that 2 examples at the commit message at the link are incorrect and invalid since they end with $(f) - which is supposed create a file with the same name as the iso file (even if at a different dir) - and therefore will be refused. The examples above are correct.
Nice, works as expected Smile
(01-01-2015, 06:02 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: [ -> ]http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-New-ISO-c...#pid372765

I was talking more along the lines of a news post on the main site or something. But as far as making it so people are more aware about it through PCSX2's UI, there has to be a way to do it. Maybe make it so compressed iso support is an option that you can turn on and off in the emulator settings so people actually see it there when perusing the settings?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16