..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Power surge on Persona 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay guys,

I am having a serious problem. While playing Persona 3 FES my computer is shutting down itself. It happened like three times during The Journey, but it is constantly happening while playing The Answer to the point of being unplayable. In the past I never had a problem with this on anything else, even stuff like Tera online on max everything or playing FFX on PCSx2 didn't cause the power surges.

My PC specs are:

MB: Asus Z87-Plus
CPU: Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz (Turbo @3.90GHz)
GPU: GeForce GTX 760
RAM: 16 GB
HDD: 256 GB SSD + 2TB 7200 rpm HDD
Monitors: dual full HD AOC

I am not sure anymore what PSU do I have. It's either 500w or 750w. I unfortunately can't check because I can't open the computer due to warranty still intact and I don't want to go to the store if it's just some setting. Is there any software way to check the PSU?

I tried to turn off the Asus Power Surge protection in BIOS since on lots of forums they said that it's not really accurate and causes more problems than it prevents, but that didn't help at all.

Any ideas what could be trigging the surges?
Okay additional info. I found and checked the bill and my PSU is: Enermax Naxn ENP500AGT 500W
sounds like a bad PSU to me. and trust me since you have a warranty you're better off getting it replace. a bad psu can cause a lot of lot damage in the long run.
Also 500w psu might not be enough to power that system so you might be better off upgrading to 650 to 700w power supply.
and on a final note i look up the minimum requirement for your gti 760 on the nividia webpage and it states you need a 500w minimum for your card, which dont leave a lot of head room for the rest of your system.
500w is way more then enough for his system, I'm running a very cheap 550w PSU and my pc is full with hardware. The wattage isn't what is important to a PSU it's the Amps on the 12v+ Eitherway it doesn't necessary means he got a bad PSU, there might be something else that's not correct.
Open the Administrative Tools at the Windows Control Panel and then "Computer Management". From there click the little triangle at "Event Viewer" and select "Windows Logs" and finally "System". You may want to filter on the Critical and Error messages.

That should give you some idea of what is happening in your system in general.

Any heavy application could cause temperature issues which could lead to protective shutdown. Yet that might mean some other hardware issue, memory error (failure) may lead to shutdowns too.

Try this before trying and replacing any hardware device.

In time: the System Log returns a code you can seek about at the Internet or report back here.

Edit: You need to be under administrative account to access the logs.
Well...

The logs didn't really do much good, there of course were the critical logs with the crashes but they were just stating that the computer shut down unexpectedly.

I don't think it's a temperature problem since there aren't any indications that the computer will shut down like lagging or sudden speed up of the fans and the computer doesn't shut down while CPU is on 100% @ around 90C and GPU under load as well when processing videos.

When I was building the system, I was told that 500W should be more than enough (and according to my calculations, the computer shouldn't take more than 400W. On the other side as ragingmonkey said, GTX 760 is listed as 500W minimum, the PSUs are never working with 100% efficiency and the computer wasn't cleaned up from dust since I bought it 3/4 year ago which also could lower the efficiency a bit. I wrote email to the store and they said that according to the symptoms it probably really is either faulty or just not strong enough PSU and since it's under warranty I'll be taking it to them for some tests and possible replacement for a stronger PSU.

Thanks for the input guys.
that's a setting in the bios, if your CPU is 90 Degrees Celcius, seriously start cleaning out your PC and buy a better cooler (Including better paste) 70+ Degrees for a long period will damage the CPU or actually fry it.
^ The TJ Max on that cpu is 105C

But still I wouldn't run it that hot...
Pages: 1 2 3 4