..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Ratchet and clank 3 Texture Hacking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay today i was changing values in widescreen helper, in 2xx range i changed 00000050 to 00000049 in software mode and it seems that mipmapping artifacts showed up which leads me to ask what changed when the value changed? Did the textures become corrupted, is it something to do with the way the game goes about creating mipmaps?

[attachment=51463]
Ratchet and Clank games need software mode in GSdx because only software mode supports proper mipmapping. I am not sure how you managed to break them in software mode, but perhaps you just confused the renderer.
(07-05-2014, 04:59 AM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]Ratchet and Clank games need software mode in GSdx because only software mode supports proper mipmapping. I am not sure how you managed to break them in software mode, but perhaps you just confused the renderer.

nope im in software mode but it only breaks when i change a value between 5-60. I would assume they are uv hacks.
Mipmapping is calculated from the camera location, you mess with the camera and you mess with mipmapping Tongue2
(07-05-2014, 11:19 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]Mipmapping is calculated from the camera location, you mess with the camera and you mess with mipmapping Tongue2

The camera isn't affected at all, no incease in FOV is seen and no change of location or orientation is changed so i'm sure it is a UV hack.

What im wondering is does the game store each texture with varying sizes or does the ps2 calculate texture size?
well an interesting test, what happens if you go the other way? so change it from 50 to 51 or 52, does that stop the mipmapping from happening in hardware? or lessen it in any way?
(07-09-2014, 02:44 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]well an interesting test, what happens if you go the other way? so change it from 50 to 51 or 52, does that stop the mipmapping from happening in hardware? or lessen it in any way?

Unfortunately not but changing the values creates very interesting results and hardware mode shows visual changes aswell.

Also using skipdraw to remove fog in hardware seems to change colours of mipmaps a little but i wonder if results would change if there was a skipdraw hack for software mode.
(07-09-2014, 02:44 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]well an interesting test, what happens if you go the other way? so change it from 50 to 51 or 52, does that stop the mipmapping from happening in hardware? or lessen it in any way?

Also I noticed that changing values actually replaces certain textures with skewed or smaller resolution versions. If I assume that the texture is dynamically toggled, I could replaced textures from far enough distance with close distance textures, it should look correct.