..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: PSOne Widescreen Patches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-22-2016, 05:01 AM)El_Patas Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean that pcsx2 in a next version emulates also de psx? and which search values could be used in the addresses of 24000000 to 241FFFFF?

Best regards.
Yes, PSX emulation will be added in a next version. And those addresses are the PCSX2 equivalent of ePSXe 1.9.25's 00A8B6A0 to 00C8B69F range.
(09-21-2016, 11:13 AM)Esppiral Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if I can link to other forums so if anyone is interested or is willing to help, look for "Sega Saturn Widescreen Hacks"

Thanks.

Post your widescreen codes for other games and I will create for them hex codes.
(09-22-2016, 09:30 AM)ShaolinAssassin Wrote: [ -> ]@ElPatas : I've this this information few days ago, but I cant find it anymore. If I remind correctly, it was in PCSX2 previous versions - and PS1 emulation was dropped down after to focus on PS2 emulation. Something like that - PCSX2 advanced users could answer you better that I do, I'm a n00b at it  

Edit : my bad, not true.

(09-22-2016, 11:27 AM)FlatOut Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, PSX emulation will be added in a next version. And those addresses are the PCSX2 equivalent of ePSXe 1.9.25's 00A8B6A0 to 00C8B69F range.

Ah, i see, i had no idea that they did something like this, we'll see how is the game compatibility.
And the search values we are using now:

1000 -> 0C00
1004 -> 0C03
1999 -> 1333
199A -> 1334
12AA -> 0E00
111A -> 0CD3
1400 -> 0F00
1164 -> 0D0B
0B98 -> 08B2

could still work with the cheat engine attached to pcsx2?

Best regards.
Yes, everything will work the same. Just attach cheat engine to PCSX2 and search for the usual values between the new addresses I posted.

But you don't need to subtract 00A8B6A0 or add 80000000 anymore, so you can skip step 8 from the tutorial on the first page. Just like PS2 games the address you find is the one to use. Smile
This sounds really interesting, let's se when is out how good is all.
Thank you very much for the information. Smile 

Best regards.
(07-11-2014, 07:35 PM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the official thread for PS1 Widescreen patches.

Similarly to the PS2 one, here you can discuss, post and request widescreen patches for PS1 games.
Have in mind that same rules apply, for example strict 2D games and 2D-heavy games (like ones with 2D backgrounds) are mostly out of the question (See Digimon World 2 and Legend Of Dragoon patches issues).

The latest collection of patches is provided by El_Patas and can be found in this post:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PSOne-Wid...#pid477709

PS1 games in general are harder to patch compared to PS2 games, or better said, there is a less universal way of patching games.
The idea is pretty similar to the generic PS2 widescreen patching (like the mathematics used) and it's the best that can be done for now if you have no assembly code knowledge.

Here's a (slightly updated) tutorial:

1. Open epsxe 1.9.25 (Yes, it has to be epsxe 1.9.25 and not any other emulator/version, it's the only emulator/version with static memory, required for this tutorial) and attach Cheat Engine (32bit) to it.
2. Set a range of search of 00A8B6A0 to 00C8B69F
3. Change the Value Type to 2 bytes
4. While on a 3D area in the game, check the hex option next to the "Value" space and put one of the values below and click "First Scan":

199A
12AA
111A

5. While still on a 3D area do a couple of consecutive searches (using the "Next Scan" button), then move your camera and your character a bit and press a couple of times again the next search button.
6. You will end up with a number of results that you need to check in the same way like PS2 widescreen hack searching method. Make a save state and start modifying values according to this list:

Initial Value (4:3) -> Modified Value (16:9)

1000 -> 0C00
1004 -> 0C03
1999 -> 1333
199A -> 1334
12AA -> 0E00
111A -> 0CD3
1400 -> 0F00
1164 -> 0D0B
0B98 -> 08B2

7.Once you notice something like the size or the zoom gets modified try to isolate the address responsible. Have in mind that PS1 games and emulators are more prone to crashes than PS2, you might have to reload the savestate and re-attach your Cheat Engine session to epsxe keeping the current searches when asked. Also if you come across a height modifier or a zoom modifier but not a width modifier you can hit Ctrl+B and search with the debugger nearby addresses (+-200) manually for a possible height modifier, most of the times they are near to each other.
8. Once you have found the address responsible, you need to do a bit of math using a Hex Calculator (Windows provide one already). Because 00A8B6A0 represents address 80000000 on PS1's memory, you need to subtract 00A8B6A0 from the resulting address (the address you found that modifies the width) and add the result to 80000000.
9. You're ready, feel free to post the result in this thread! Also if you want to provide an Eyefinity patch, here's a list of value replacements:

Initial Value (4:3) -> Modified Value (Eyefinity)

1000 -> 0400
1004 -> 0401
1999 -> 0666
199A -> 0667
12AA -> 0800
111A -> 0446
1400 -> 0800
1164 -> 0459
0B98 -> 02E6

Thanx in advance to everybody contributing to this thread!

Hello, i was wondering if there is a way to force a game to run on stretched 16:9 ratio through some Gameshark codes... Or if such a procedure may bring some results in a mostly 2D game.

What i'm thinking about is SaGa Frontier, a game that would just forced to 16:9 actually look surprisingly good:

[Image: g7ol10S.png]

[Image: Dhp5lmc.png]

The backgrounds are pre-rendered so i imagine a more optimized version would have to work on them...

In any case as said before just forcing the aspect ratio looks really good so if i could achieve that it would be already a great thing. And maybe a start to a more proper widescreen hack.

BTW, i read all the above but i'm a bit confused; does it only work for the 3d games and sections? If so that wouldn't work at all on this game... If it is so what should i be looking for to make it so the game renders stretched all the time even on real hardware? Some GS codes may do the magic for example?

Many thanks in advance for the time you'll all take for reading, and in case for answering!
@karsten, get the widescreen is not possible with pre-rendered backgrounds and 2D backgrounds,
nobody reached it with anything.
Not work at all in the Saga Frontier, sorry.

Best regards.
(10-06-2016, 03:06 AM)El_P atas Wrote: [ -> ]@karsten, get the widescreen is not possible with pre-rendered backgrounds and 2D backgrounds,
nobody reached it with anything.
Not work at all in the Saga Frontier, sorry.

Best regards.

Thanks for your answer, it's not possible even by force-stretching without optimization? Like just telling game "go 16:9" no matter what
(10-06-2016, 06:03 PM)karsten Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your answer, it's not possible even by force-stretching without optimization? Like just telling game "go 16:9" no matter what

I don't know what do you mean about force-stretching without optimization, if you refer to apply something in emulators is not possible,
i'm not expert and i can't give you technical explanations, the only which i know is that pre-rendered and 2D backgrounds are stored
in a different way in the videogames than the 3D rendered backgrounds, and probably they are stored in a different place in each game,
you can't force what you don't know where is, and how it works.
Nobody reached this with the PS2 games which they have more years making patches and more tools/people with knowledge, more less
with PSX games, even we don't have a more perfect and efective way for search the codes for a lot of great 3D games which don't
have the codes.

Best regards.
I can explain it. Basically prerendered means that what you see on the screen is all that exists. There is no other video information to display. Prerendered backgrounds are like giant, flat photographs on your TV screen and they were designed with old, square shaped monitors in mind. Let's say you draw a square picture of a forest with ms paint. If you decided later on you want that picture to be in widescreen then you have to go back in and manually draw extra stuff on the sides and prerendered backgrounds are the same way. If you wanted SaGa Frontier in widescreen the developers would have to go back and remake the backgrounds with extra stuff on the sides.