..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: PCSX2 Wiki collaboration thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
(07-14-2014, 01:41 AM)Tonygiang Wrote: [ -> ]I could only guess, since if you did imply that, you'd be correct. The wiki surely doesn't have...

I'm sorry, I over reacted a little bit. People have been making it look like I said stuff I didn't say lately and it gets to me. I shouldn't have assumed that was your intention.

But anyway, it's not correct to say devs have no use for it. A lot of time when I am providing support I reference the wiki(although I am not a dev). It would be more correct I think to say the devs don't contribute much.

(07-14-2014, 01:12 PM)Tonygiang Wrote: [ -> ]Since this is still a thing, should we just merge the compatibility list and the wiki into 1? Right now there are still more than 1 place to update compatibility information.

I'm not sure of the logistics of that. See the compatibility site at pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html is actually pulled by a scraper from the public compatibility list on the forum.
(07-14-2014, 01:13 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure of the logistics of that. See the compatibility site at pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html is actually pulled by a scraper from the public compatibility list on the forum.

It's better to have 1 centralized place for compatibility, isn't it?
It makes sense, yes.

To that end I can definitely tell you the public compatibility list will most likely be that central place. However, searching our forums is a PITA which is why a robot scraper automatically scrapes that forum to update http://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html and make it more easily accessible to people. A massive amount of work has went into the compatibility forums and the logistics of moving that all to the Wiki are just hard to imagine, even if we had many contributors.

As for the wiki, this would be my idea. Pull the compatibility information in the infobox from the forum the same way the other site does. Then users can fill in the additional information normal wiki style. This shouldn't be too hard to implement.
I am looking in to creating a proper template for the reports. Although I've done plenty of editing on Wikipedia and the like, CREATING a template is new to me, so it may takes some time.

Edit, actually, to do that, I think I need more permissions than I have. On the wiki, I have just a normal user account that I just created lol.
(07-14-2014, 01:44 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]It makes sense, yes.

To that end I can definitely tell you the public compatibility list will most likely be that central place. However, searching our forums is a PITA which is why a robot scraper automatically scrapes that forum to update http://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html and make it more easily accessible to people. A massive amount of work has went into the compatibility forums and the logistics of moving that all to the Wiki are just hard to imagine, even if we had many contributors.

As for the wiki, this would be my idea. Pull the compatibility information in the infobox from the forum the same way the other site does. Then users can fill in the additional information normal wiki style. This shouldn't be too hard to implement.

I really don't think choosing the forum as the place to centralize would be wise.

For one thing, a forum is simply not made for collaborative works, a wiki is. The public compatibility list is maintained by mods and each testers update their own results, hence limited in manpower. The wiki can be crowd-sourced, editors can compensate for each other. Searching and sorting through the public compatibility list is just unintuitive. It has to be done from the front page, that means searching/sorting and results are in 2 different places, or fragmentation in other words. On the wiki, are not only searching/sorting and results in the same place, we can mark pages as stubs to call the attention of other editors to fill in. We have a summary box to describe out edits, we have a history window to monitor what the page has went through, we have an instant list filtered by compatibility level to let devs know which games are still problematic (and yay for 200 entries/page). It's stuff like that makes a wiki suitable for collaborative works.

In the worst case, centralizing it on the forum can lead to the compatibility section of PPSSPP. I'll let you guys figure out what's wrong with it from a glance.

Honestly, I'd prefer pulling the public compatibility list and dump a bunch of stub pages (in the new template of course) of games not currently in the wiki, then we'll take care of them from there. For duplicated entries, we can take it steady.
(07-14-2014, 02:32 PM)Tonygiang Wrote: [ -> ]I really don't think choosing the forum as the place to centralize would be wise.

For one thing, a forum is simply not made for collaborative works, a wiki is. The public compatibility list is maintained by mods and each testers update their own results, hence limited in manpower. The wiki can be crowd-sourced, editors can compensate for each other. Searching and sorting through the public compatibility list is just unintuitive. It has to be done from the front page, that means searching/sorting and results are in 2 different places, or fragmentation in other words. On the wiki, are not only searching/sorting and results in the same place, we can mark pages as stubs to call the attention of other editors to fill in. We have a summary box to describe out edits, we have a history window to monitor what the page has went through, we have an instant list filtered by compatibility level to let devs know which games are still problematic (and yay for 200 entries/page). It's stuff like that makes a wiki suitable for collaborative works.

In the worst case, centralizing it on the forum can lead to the compatibility section of PPSSPP. I'll let you guys figure out what's wrong with it from a glance.

Honestly, I'd prefer pulling the public compatibility list and dump a bunch of stub pages (in the new template of course) of games not currently in the wiki, then we'll take care of them from there. For duplicated entries, we can take it steady.

Choosing the forum as the place is already done. It was done a long time ago. Their are several thousand articles in it. It's a huge undertaking to change that. And it's not my decision either. In fact, for the longest time their was no public list. The powers that be were extremely hesitant to let users do the testing. I don't know why, but they were. So I seriously doubt that they would allow it to be done away with so easily.

And it's not maintained by mods or devs. All we do is update the first post so the scraper can scrape properly. That's it. Anyone with a forum account can post their results in the public list. The only thing they can't do is create threads there, but when a request is made, the thread is usually created within a couple of hours.

Yes, the list for PPSSPP is a mess. But we have one rule that they do not, and that makes ours a lot cleaner - we don't allow tech support questions and discussions in our compatibility forum. It's for results and discussion of those results only.

Now, using the compatibility list to generate stub pages for the wiki for games not already in it, that definitely seems like a reasonable idea.
(07-14-2014, 02:52 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]The powers that be were extremely hesitant to let users do the testing. I don't know why, but they were.

This is the most head-scratching thing I've never heard of up until now.
Beats me. I wasn't a moderator, or even a normal forum member back then.
(07-14-2014, 03:23 PM)Tonygiang Wrote: [ -> ]This is the most head-scratching thing I've never heard of up until now.

At the time we had quite a few active testers and we could rely more on their testing than the average user and it kept the reports consistant in terms of layout and information reported.

We have opened it to the public now with mostly success, but occasionally we do get really poor reports and idiots just asking support questions on the compatibility list, which is something we wanted to avoid (for each of checking on bugs/information)
So you guys had many dedicated internal testers back then. I guess that makes sense then.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20