..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: frame rate drops randomly on stud of a pc....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
There are many games that will run full speed 99.9% of the time even on less than elite hardware. Look at my system in my signature. I can play tons of games with no slowdown.
(08-21-2014, 04:52 AM)markyrocks69 Wrote: [ -> ]I've enabled speed hacks to the max.

Don't do this. Unless you have a very weak system this will only slow you down. Only enable recommended speedhacks (tickboxes) and keep the sliders at the lowest level.For some games the MTVU-hack will help a lot as well.
What I say "to the max" I mean as high as they'll go without breaking the game. My system runs grand turismo 3 at full speed 99% of the time it's the other 1% where the speed hacks help. That and for whatever reason the track special stage runs like garbage in hw mode but decently in sw mode.

@blyss that oc'd processor you got is pretty decent. I looked at comparison and apparently for graphics intensive programs it performs similarly to mine. Now I don't know what that means exactly but dammit I just want to play games
(08-21-2014, 03:01 PM)markyrocks69 Wrote: [ -> ]What I say "to the max" I mean as high as they'll go without breaking the game. My system runs grand turismo 3 at full speed 99% of the time it's the other 1% where the speed hacks help. That and for whatever reason the track special stage runs like garbage in hw mode but decently in sw mode.

@blyss that oc'd processor you got is pretty decent. I looked at comparison and apparently for graphics intensive programs it performs similarly to mine. Now I don't know what that means exactly but dammit I just want to play games

Your cpu is actually far faster for pcsx2 due to the much higher single threaded performance.
^ Yeah, what he said. Since PCSX2 only uses 2 cores, or 3 with MTVU, raw single threaded power helps more than cores. Your STP is 2276, and mine is 1650 after my overlcock.

Around 1600 STP is the point where MOST games will be full speed around 95% of the time. Your CPU handily beats mine for PCSX2. Except for the 2-3 games that will lag on even the godliest system, you should have no problems.
(08-21-2014, 11:26 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: [ -> ]^ Yeah, what he said. Since PCSX2 only uses 2 cores, or 3 with MTVU, raw single threaded power helps more than cores. Your STP is 2276, and mine is 1650 after my overlcock.

Around 1600 STP is the point where MOST games will be full speed around 95% of the time. Your CPU handily beats mine for PCSX2. Except for the 2-3 games that will lag on even the godliest system, you should have no problems.
Well I wasn't trying to get into a pissing match. I used to be an amd man myself so wasn't trying to point out the negative. Apparently it doesn't matter what your single threaded performance is bc I cannot play at 100% full speed so what's the difference. Anyway a point I been thinking about is people be talking about number of cores ect..... on my system pcsx2 uses every core equally. I'd understand if one or 2 were at 100% but when it says a percentage all core are relatively used the same amount. Does hyperthreading. Make any difference?
Single threaded performance yada yada in hardware mode my cpu is barely pushed passed 20% and my gpu is only used to 60-80%. I could understand frame drops if I had cores maxed out and my gpu was thermal throttling and pissing itself.... just not the case. That why I'm confused bc I could have a pcsx2 game playing with watch dogs playing in the background and I'd still probably have power to spare.
I wasn't bashing my own processor, I was pointing out that I have no trouble running games on a processor that is not as fast as yours for PCSX2. It make no sense what you are experiencing. Have you tried running Resource Monitor and see if anything is thrashing your hard drive?

PCSX2 can't use more than 3 threads EXCEPT in software mode. There is no way "it's using your cores equally" because it's completely impossible, UNLESS you are running in software mode.

Have you checked to make sure PCSX2 is using your 770 and not the integrated chip in your 4770k?
Thanks Bliss for that useful bit of information... I think that is why software mode runs better than hardware mode for me I have an unlocked i7 (8 threads) so i have mtvu checked and also 4 extra rendering threads on the GS plugin... I think that trumps hardware mode in my case
Ok I have turned windows visual appearance to maximize performance and turned off all nonessential start up programs. So only stuff I have running is pcsx2. My main hdd is ssd so it can take a good beating and still be fast and here is a video showing my cores being used. Pcsx2 frame drop. ..: http://youtu.be/zsvEU1TCbOM
You can only see the first couple but it looks the same across the board. Which as I said before is confusing bc I've seen and read pcsx2 was only supposed to use 2 cores, 3 with the one hack in hw mode. I'm on vacation so won't be able to do any testing till next week but I think I'm going to try turning off hyperthreading and see if it makes a difference.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7