..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: FPS to fast for my games on Psxc2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok first my specs are

i3 3240 3.40ghz
8GB Ram
GTX 770 4GB
Windows 7 home 64bit sp1
Psx2 1.2.1

Framerates are wayy to fast. Ive tried playing games like God of War and it goes between 90 fps and 130 alot making it playable to a point but in some areas its really not. Im playing sphinx and the cursed mummy right now and fps stays between 95-120 ingame. How do I lower it a lil? Ive tried certain things like adjusting the framerate and slowmo and turbo down to 50 and it was wayy to low like in the 20s so maybe just adjust that then??
Try F4 or tab to turn the framelimiter on.
Press F4 to turn on the limiter. Conversely, you could go to Config > Emulation Settings > GS and do it there.
(10-08-2014, 05:25 AM)Chrono3177 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok first my specs are

i3 3240 3.40ghz
8GB Ram
GTX 770 4GB
Windows 7 home 64bit sp1
Psx2 1.2.1

Framerates are wayy to fast. Ive tried playing games like God of War and it goes between 90 fps and 130 alot making it playable to a point but in some areas its really not. Im playing sphinx and the cursed mummy right now and fps stays between 95-120 ingame. How do I lower it a lil? Ive tried certain things like adjusting the framerate and slowmo and turbo down to 50 and it was wayy to low like in the 20s so maybe just adjust that then??

well why dont you try increasing the internal resolution to sum things up...
(10-09-2014, 05:34 PM)s.sakash Wrote: [ -> ]well why dont you try increasing the internal resolution to sum things up...

Because won't work, the best he would achieve is totally unstable FPS.

Notice the framelimiter is a control, meant to make the FPS stable (supposing the machine is able to keep it above the limit) while overloading the system is totally depending on the instant/moment load and so changing all the time.

Besides the upscale is almost totally depending on the GPU, not exactly a function of the emulator, just a nice plus the PC graphic system allows without overtaxing the actual emulation too much.

Edit: Just noticed nobody mentioned the Turbo mode, activated by the TAB key which works like a increment over the base FPS (yet limited to the value where possible), for instance a 20% turbo grants steady 72 FPS if the machine can keep it, that's the main difference from the framlimiter which just remove all restrictions on FPS but making it unstable, what is less useful in some case, depend on the wanted effect.
(10-09-2014, 10:22 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]Besides the upscale is almost totally depending on the GPU, not exactly a function of the emulator, just a nice plus the PC graphic system allows without overtaxing the actual emulation too much.

The upscaling doesn't only stress the GPU, it also stresses the GS thread which is ran on the CPU. So turning up the resolution will negatively affect CPU usage as well.
(10-09-2014, 10:22 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]Because won't work, the best he would achieve is totally unstable FPS.

Notice the framelimiter is a control, meant to make the FPS stable (supposing the machine is able to keep it above the limit) while overloading the system is totally depending on the instant/moment load and so changing all the time.

Besides the upscale is almost totally depending on the GPU, not exactly a function of the emulator, just a nice plus the PC graphic system allows without overtaxing the actual emulation too much.

Edit: Just noticed nobody mentioned the Turbo mode, activated by the TAB key which works like a increment over the base FPS (yet limited to the value where possible), for instance a 20% turbo grants steady 72 FPS if the machine can keep it, that's the main difference from the framlimiter which just remove all restrictions on FPS but making it unstable, what is less useful in some case, depend on the wanted effect.

i wouldnt say it stresses only the gpu , it also takes a quite a toll on cpu as well and it would make him reduce some fps and play with a better graphics visual......
Was not said it does not stress the emulation, was said it is done on the GPU side almost completely. Yet that does not change the FPS reduction achieved is totally depending on the load as stated before and then unstable, what was the whole point.

Edit: what is being confused with overtaxing the GS is that under too much upscale the GPU just loses the capacity to keep up its normal GS task (I wonder why?). The toll on the CPU is telling to the GPU the amount of desired upscale.
(10-10-2014, 04:00 PM)s.sakash Wrote: [ -> ]i wouldnt say it stresses only the gpu , it also takes a quite a toll on cpu as well and it would make him reduce some fps and play with a better graphics visual......

(10-09-2014, 11:00 PM)karasuhebi Wrote: [ -> ]The upscaling doesn't only stress the GPU, it also stresses the GS thread which is ran on the CPU. So turning up the resolution will negatively affect CPU usage as well.

I've seen people say this a few time here before. I've compared gs load(and cpu load) in multiple games between native and 4x IR and I'm not seeing any difference.