..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Shadow of the Colossus !!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
Out of curiosity why does the offset hack cause the overbloom problem?

see screens:
first is DX10/11 software
second is DX10/11 hardware (has the distracting offset on the background and on the player)
third is DX10/11 hardware with offset enabled
[Image: Fullscreen%20capture%2016062010%2011325%20AM.jpg]

[Image: Fullscreen%20capture%2016062010%2011346%20AM.jpg]

[Image: Fullscreen%20capture%2016062010%2011402%20AM.jpg]
(06-16-2010, 07:23 AM)Stabby Wrote: [ -> ]Out of curiosity why does the offset hack cause the overbloom problem?

IMHO, that's because the offset hack creates thin white border on the top and left sides of the screen... The game engine treats this as a "very bright" area and emits excess bloom from there... You may clearly see that border using my modified GSDX with bloom disabled...

On the other hand, without the hack there's a thin black border on the bottom and right sides, that is treated as a "sink" for the bloom... Smile
Hm... Either my rig is too weak for this game or I missed smth in the config:

Intel Q6600@3,2Ghz
4gb Ram
GForce GTX-285
@win7 64bit

dx10 hw
2x native res
VU Cycle Steal 2x
mVU Flag hack + Wait Loop and INTC check

I get ~45-50fps (60 fps indoors lol) (game is running in NTSC + progressive scan)

Is there anything that could be done about it? Or is it just the limit of my PC?

@eliot_cougar: Could you plz provide the link to your mod of GS?
Your not going to go over 60fps; I have EE cyclerate and VU stealing at 3 and all "other hacks" checked.
(06-21-2010, 02:30 PM)TheQwertiest Wrote: [ -> ]Hm... Either my rig is too weak for this game or I missed smth in the config:

Intel Q6600@3,2Ghz
4gb Ram
GForce GTX-285
@win7 64bit

dx10 hw
2x native res
VU Cycle Steal 2x
mVU Flag hack + Wait Loop and INTC check

I get ~45-50fps (60 fps indoors lol) (game is running in NTSC + progressive scan)

Is there anything that could be done about it? Or is it just the limit of my PC?

@eliot_cougar: Could you plz provide the link to your mod of GS?
First of all, try to use the latest SVN...
Second - disable "Progressive scan"... It has somewhat larger render target... The game has no movies, so you'll never see interlacing...
Third - The game should run at 60fps with VU cycle stealing 2...

For me it runs at 60fps with occasional slow-downs using [email protected]... I don't know about the influence of 64bit OS on the performance though...

PS: I did some tests and found that my "hack" doesn't work in "Progressive" mode... It seems that the game has different TBP0 for bloom overlay in progressive mode...
I asked the same question in another thread but I got no response,so I'm asking it again it this one.
I just got Shadow of the colossus,I played until I killed the fourth one.
but I don't find it that interesting,are things gonna get better or is it gonna stay the same way?
(I really think I should go exchange/trade the CD right now!)

Sorry for double posting,but the guy won't accept trading it unless it's on the same day.
(06-21-2010, 04:34 PM)eliot_cougar Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, try to use the latest SVN...
Second - disable "Progressive scan"... It has somewhat larger render target... The game has no movies, so you'll never see interlacing...
Third - The game should run at 60fps with VU cycle stealing 2...

For me it runs at 60fps with occasional slow-downs using [email protected]... I don't know about the influence of 64bit OS on the performance though...

PS: I did some tests and found that my "hack" doesn't work in "Progressive" mode... It seems that the game has different TBP0 for bloom overlay in progressive mode...

Meh... Problem solved... It seems I've accidentally changed render method to DX9 at one moment hence the fps drop.
Can you still give me the link to the 'non-progressive' bloom hack plz? =)

Btw, as I can understand shadow offset bug is fixed by "UserHacks_HalfPixelOffset=1" line in .ini, right?

(06-21-2010, 06:34 PM)l[Shady]l Wrote: [ -> ]I asked the same question in another thread but I got no response,so I'm asking it again it this one.
but I don't find it that interesting,are things gonna get better or is it gonna stay the same way?

Sorry for double posting,but the guy won't accept trading it unless it's on the same day.

As it is the case with all forms of entertainment, in the end it all comes down to personal judgement. The game itself is very good it has its flaws but it IS good. The thing is that not everyone can endure these flaws - the main one is that it'll take more than half of a game for story to proceed. The story itself is awesome though =)

You can read a good review here (be careful it has some (little)spoilers!!!): http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2005/...ossus.html
(06-21-2010, 06:34 PM)l[Shady]l Wrote: [ -> ]I asked the same question in another thread but I got no response,so I'm asking it again it this one.

if you're that board then yes exchange the game ... you may have heard that SotC is an amazing game, which it is, but it's relentless* in it's pursuit of it's idea and that can be very off putting.

*In a large extent that is why it's considered such an incredible game.

but as always
YMMV
(06-21-2010, 06:44 PM)TheQwertiest Wrote: [ -> ]Meh... Problem solved... It seems I've accidentally changed render method to DX9 at one moment hence the fps drop.
Can you still give me the link to the 'non-progressive' bloom hack plz? =)

Btw, as I can understand shadow offset bug is fixed by "UserHacks_HalfPixelOffset=1" line in .ini, right?

I've sent the link already, check the PM...

Your CPU is quite powerful... Try to play with VU cycle stealing = 1... There're some crashes on that setting being 2...

Anyway, when you'll reach second cutscene (several templars riding to the temple on horses), hit Esc, go to settings and disable speedhacks... The cutscene will be slow, but at least the game will not crash... Another crash is during the "Credits" sequence...

add "allowHacks=1" to the gsdx.ini... It will let you change hacks through UI much easier...

It's an action/puzzle game... If you bored with puzzles - exchange it... Some colossi are very challenging, some are not so fun... Last one is simply EPIC...
Or better way - make an iso and then exchange it LaughDDD
(06-21-2010, 07:14 PM)eliot_cougar Wrote: [ -> ]I've sent the link already, check the PM...
Yeah, got it, thx )
Quote:Your CPU is quite powerful... Try to play with VU cycle stealing = 1... There're some crashes on that setting being 2...
Nah... It's not that powerful - with x1 fps goes down to 45-50 when fighting coloss. Weird thing though: 45fps with x1 cycle stealing feels smoother than x2 with 60 fps o.O
Quote:Anyway, when you'll reach second cutscene (several templars riding to the temple on horses), hit Esc, go to settings and disable speedhacks... The cutscene will be slow, but at least the game will not crash... Another crash is during the "Credits" sequence...

add "allowHacks=1" to the gsdx.ini... It will let you change hacks through UI much easier...
Thx for the heads up =)

PS: Don't you find it amusing that 2 guys with the same native language are using only English when talking to each other? =)))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37