..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Moving the cheats folder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So I've successfully moved all the other default folders to the directory of my choosing. However, I cannot move the cheats_ws.zip to the directory of my choosing.

In the PCSX2_ui configuration file I found and changed the values to:
Code:
UseDefaultCheats=disabled
UseDefaultCheatsWS=disabled
Cheats=C:\\Users\\****\\Games\\Playstation 2\\PCSX2 Settings\\Cheats
CheatsWS=C:\\Users\\****\\Games\\Playstation 2\\PCSX2 Settings\\Cheats

However when I run PCSX2 and look at the console I see:
Code:
The Cheats folder ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\PCSX2\cheats') is inaccessible. Skipping...
Overall 0 Cheats loaded
The Widescreen hacks folder ('C:\Users\****\Documents\PCSX2\cheats_ws') is inaccessible. Skipping...
Overall 0 Widescreen hacks loaded
[wx] can't open file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Games\PCSX2\cheats_ws.zip' (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)

I looked in the registry to see if PCSX2 stored the value there but alas there was nothing.

Did the authors do something silly like hard code these directories? The paths specified in the config file are being ignored albeit the folders will be created when I run PCSX2 should the folders not exist. The path that replaced the default Documents path in the registry is being ignored as well. There is also no place in the UI to change these directories either.
Just download the GIT versions. It'll automatically make the directory to the root folder of PCSX2.
(12-22-2014, 03:42 PM)KeyToTruth12 Wrote: [ -> ]Just download the GIT versions. It'll automatically make the directory to the root folder of PCSX2.

That's not really the issue though.

You can't change it to a folder you yourself specify, even if you tell it not to use the default folder location and specify a folder yourself. It'll always try to load from the default location.

This happens in the latest GIT versions too. Been trying to get the cheats folder inside My Documents for ages, but it always reads it from the root pcsx2 folder instead.
(12-22-2014, 05:06 PM)Ryudo Wrote: [ -> ]That's not really the issue though.

You can't change it to a folder you yourself specify, even if you tell it not to use the default folder location and specify a folder yourself. It'll always try to load from the default location.

This happens in the latest GIT versions too. Been trying to get the cheats folder inside My Documents for ages, but it always reads it from the root pcsx2 folder instead.

Yes. That's an annoying place to have that folder since it is prone to editing. I also don't want it in my Documents folder because that's the wrong folder for storing application data.
You can probably put a file named:
portable.ini
in your program directory with the content:
Code:
RunWizard=0

Then it should load the cheats out of the program directory. Again you can not change the path if it doesn't work for the non-portable version.

Funny fact: in your mydocuments you have a folder created by windows called "AppData".. So maybe not the worst idea to put such stuff into my documents.

Another story is that cheats were initially only controlled by the end-users. Therefore the folder was put into my documents. This changed with the introduction of ws_patches but the system was kept the same.
99.99% of access rights related issues in Windows Vista and newer are due the install at C:\Program Files (x86) or any other specially protected Windows folder.

Instead trying to workaround the problem and starting fancy things like having to run as administrator or worse... reinstall the emulator elsewhere, preferably outside the C: and be happy.

Edit: This is valid for PC games which use mods and/or plugins also. Shame on you MicroSoft.

Edit2: So instead moving the cheat folder consider moving the whole PCSX2 folder...
(12-23-2014, 12:02 AM)willkuer Wrote: [ -> ]You can probably put a file named:
portable.ini
in your program directory with the content:
Code:
RunWizard=0

Then it should load the cheats out of the program directory. Again you can not change the path if it doesn't work for the non-portable version.

Funny fact: in your mydocuments you have a folder created by windows called "AppData".. So maybe not the worst idea to put such stuff into my documents.

AppData is in C:\Users\Name not C:\Users\Name\Documents.

I use the documents folder for my documents. I try as much as I can to take application data and move it somewhere else if they allow it to be moved out of Documents. Software is supposed to use C:\ProgramData, C:\Users\Name\AppData, C:\Program Files\YourApplication, or the registry for these things. They're not supposed to dump the data in Documents and treat it as some sort of repository for application information.

Of course, Microsoft who gives the above guidelines to developers violates it all the time. Visual Studio violates it. GFWL violated it all the time which is amusing because Windows used to have a file in the user profile called Saved Games yet GWFL games dumped their saves in Documents instead.

---

Anyway, I'm not going to move the emulator out of C:\Programs Files (x86). Moving it doesn't stop it from constantly creating an empty PCSX2 folder in Documents either nor does it fix the issue of being able to set paths in the config file but having the emulator ignore those custom paths. It's an easy fix. I suppose it's a wait for the developers to fix it kind of thing.
(12-23-2014, 04:43 AM)Solid Knight Wrote: [ -> ]AppData is in C:\Users\Name not C:\Users\Name\Documents.

I use the documents folder for my documents. I try as much as I can to take application data and move it somewhere else if they allow it to be moved out of Documents. Software is supposed to use C:\ProgramData, C:\Users\Name\AppData, C:\Program Files\YourApplication, or the registry for these things. They're not supposed to dump the data in Documents and treat it as some sort of repository for application information.

Of course, Microsoft who gives the above guidelines to developers violates it all the time. Visual Studio violates it. GFWL violated it all the time which is amusing because Windows used to have a file in the user profile called Saved Games yet GWFL games dumped their saves in Documents instead.

---

Anyway, I'm not going to move the emulator out of C:\Programs Files (x86). Moving it doesn't stop it from constantly creating an empty PCSX2 folder in Documents either nor does it fix the issue of being able to set paths in the config file but having the emulator ignore those custom paths. It's an easy fix. I suppose it's a wait for the developers to fix it kind of thing.
Do as you wish. now and the future, are you paying the price.

Besides I said nothing about keeping support files inside the documents or whatsoever, just don't try running applications from inside those folders. Even Steam learned this the hard way and now not only allow as recommend installing games outside the Program files folders even if Steam itself is there.

Edit: The last line in the quote made me laugh, so you expect the devs to fix Security issues from MS itself? ask this to Bethesda as well and pray.
(12-23-2014, 12:58 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]99.99% of access rights related issues in Windows Vista and newer are due the install at C:\Program Files (x86) or any other specially protected Windows folder.

Instead trying to workaround the problem and starting fancy things like having to run as administrator or worse... reinstall the emulator elsewhere, preferably outside the C: and be happy.

Edit: This is valid for PC games which use mods and/or plugins also. Shame on you MicroSoft.

Edit2: So instead moving the cheat folder consider moving the whole PCSX2 folder...

It's not a matter of permission issues at all. And 'Installing' it elsewhere won't fix this.
For the record; The buildbot GIT versions don't even have an installer, so that's impossible to do in the first place.

To sum up the issue again:
  • Configure PCSX2 in the .ini file to change the DEFAULT cheats folder (or cheats_ws) folder.
  • What happens is that it just ignores whatever you set, and still attempts to search for the folder inside the root pcsx2 directory for cheats.
    This has nothing to do with permission settings, because the settings ARE stored and Saved, PCSX2 just chooses to not do what you said and just follows its own 'internal/invisible' setting.

As for the issue that he's mentioning that PCSX2 constantly recreates folders - That's true as well. For example: I have no need for a cheats_ws folder at all, because I load all of them via the cheats_ws.zip database so I removed the folders, but upon starting pcsx2 it simply recreates the folder albeit completely empty and just makes for a messy folder organization.

I actually want the cheats folder moved inside My Documents folder because all my PCSX2 versions use that folder for everything else (memory cards and bios included, as well as various .ini config files), saving me a whole bunch of time of having to reconfigure everything when downloading new revisions. But right now it keeps demanding the cheats folder to be inside the PCSX2 root directory, thus I end up having to copy .pnach files from older versions, etc etc.

(12-23-2014, 04:54 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: The last line in the quote made me laugh, so you expect the devs to fix Security issues from MS itself? ask this to Bethesda as well and pray.

PCSX2 recreating folders has nothing to do with Microsoft, or Windows folder permissions or security issues.
And PCSX2 really does ignore the line of setting custom cheats/cheats_ws folders. PCSX2 does this, not Windows.
It's ignoring the line inside an .ini config file. Therefore it's something the Devs will need to take a look at. It works perfectly fine for every other custom folder line being configured in the PCSX2_ui.ini.
(12-23-2014, 04:54 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: [ -> ]The last line in the quote made me laugh, so you expect the devs to fix Security issues from MS itself? ask this to Bethesda as well and pray.

I don't think you understand what is being talked about here. PCSX2 ignores specified user directories for Cheats and CheatsWS when you set them up in the PCSX2_ui.ini file. What does that have to do with Microsoft?
Pages: 1 2