..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Does true widescreen exist in the PCSX2 world?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So can we get proper widescreen or not currently? I can't find a way - at least with Gsdx. Tried on games that support 16:9 for sure: SSX on tour, Tekken 5, Silent Hill Origins, Soul Caliber. When switching the game to render differently, nothing happens. The ingame/menu graphics are identical.

It seems like the only thing that matters is what is set in the Video plugin,but that's taking a 4:3 image and simply displaying 3 different ways, that'l all - no real widescreen! PS2 bios and game set aspect ratios don't seem to register at all. The only thing that matters is what's in the plugin is set to - that's it. Video plugin renders everything at a 4:3 ratio and again gives you 3 different ways to view them: 16:9 and Stretch (both just stretch the image obviously), while 4:3 is the only way to get graphics looking correct.

Bottom line, as far as I can tell, the ONLY way to get graphics in any game to display at the correct ratio (buttons are circles) is to leave it at 4:3. But what about widescreen??!! I use Pcsx2 to get more from my PS2 games, not lose anything; and losing graphics is definetely a big thing! Is there something I'm missing to all of this. I trully hope so. Smile
If the game is meant to be 4:3 then there is no way that wide screen will look good aka fat characters.
Some games have an option in-game to enable widescreen, only these game will have no problem with 16:9/16:10 aspect ratio.
In games that are 4:3, I just stretch the screen, cause my monitor is wide screen, and everything looks good. There is nothing looking fat here, no sir. BUT.. If I put it to 16:9 it looks ugly. So I use stretch, because it looks OK.
FFXII for instance supports widescreen.
when you start a new game, you have to select 'widescreen', then you should press "F6" key to switch GSdx to use 16:9 aspect ratio.

theres plenty of other games that support widescreen as well.
Exactly Wink The game must support widescreen in the first place, then you can use the 16:9 format. I think there's no way to force 4:3 designed games to change into true wide screen, like magic, even for an emulator.
Wow, did all of you not read my 1 paragraph?? That's all I'm talking about. I listed off games that support widescreen but they are not being allow to render widescreen. No game on PCSX2 will render, for me at least, at a widescreen ratio. FFXII or any of the other 1300 games!

Or you guys saying that you can load a widescreen supporting game (FFXII) change the display to render at 16:9, you see the graphics change aspect ratio and you get true, TRUE widescreen??? What about the games listed in my last post? They all support 16:9 but never can change in game graphics?

Could this have to do with my bios revision or some crazy setting somewhere? I really know what I'm doing here - I'm a game test lead for Microsoft, so I have a really good understanding of proper graphics rendering ...and rendering graphics properly for 4:3 and 16:9 is a technical requirement for MS that I've been checking for years.

Anyway let me know what's going on here, please...Blush
I use FF12 with widescreen, so yes, it works fine.
Quote:I'm a game test lead for Microsoft, so I have a really good understanding of proper graphics rendering ...and rendering graphics properly for 4:3 and 16:9 is a technical requirement for MS that I've been checking for years.

Big deal.......Laugh hahaha...

This is 4:3
[attachment=14761]

This is 16:9 (A.k.a widescreen)
[attachment=14760]
Right, it also works perfectly with star ocean 3.
The game HAS to properly support it though. If you select widescreen in its options, and nothing changes, then you found a bug of some kind.. Tongue2
In Tekken 5 it also work good. I have laptop so this is 16:9. If i checked 4:3 ratio and res 640x480 (full screen) in gsdx plugin and in game change ratio on 16:9, characters in fight have normal width and height Smile
Pages: 1 2