..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Automatically managed Folder Memory Card - Public Test
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Both but more prominent on PCSX2 AFAIK. This has no reason to affect it at all.
Every game I'm going to list works (though limited testing for games I haven't started)
Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia, Ar Tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica
Atelier Iris - Eternal Mana, Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny, Atelier Iris 3: Grand Phantasm
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
Champions of Norath, Champions: Return to Arms
Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, Final Fantasy XII: IZJS
Kinetica
Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II ~Final Mix~
Radiata Stories
Rogue Galaxy
Persona 3: FES, Persona 4
Star Ocean 3
Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss

On most cases, it seems that loading and saving works either a little or a lot faster than the conventional memory card way, although I actually haven't done timed tests, just something I felt and noticed while testing.
Memory Card speed should be identical to how it used to be, the only reason it's slow normally is because we are simulating the flash writing speed (like real memory cards)
Why do you do this? Is the ps2 checking if the reading/writing rates are too high?
it's not completely intentional, but command rates and writes happen at a certain speed, we just emulate that, we don't physically say "this is flash memory so do it a million times slower", writing to a memory card isn't as simple as just copying data to an address.
(06-24-2015, 05:06 AM)Arcadius Wrote: [ -> ]On most cases, it seems that loading and saving works either a little or a lot faster than the conventional memory card way, although I actually haven't done timed tests, just something I felt and noticed while testing.

This is either a placebo effect, or your memory cards are on a slow storage device and you're actually noticing the I/O. "Conventional" FileMemoryCards write data to the storage as the game is writing it, small data chunks at a time, while the Folder type writes to RAM and then flushes that out to storage in one big operation once all writes are done. It might also be a byproduct of your antivirus intercepting I/O requests (see this Dolphin commit, which might actually be worth looking into for PCSX2 FileMemoryCards as well).

Either way, there should be no difference on the actual emulation side of things.
Same thing happened in Dolphin, can confirm. We eventually made it so even the memcard writes were done to RAM and then asynchronously flushed.
New build: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5268...st-rev6.7z

Improvements include support for save file deletion (MGS3 saves no longer increase in size the more often you overwrite them, temporary suspend saves like Tales of Destiny now work right; note that saves aren't actually deleted, just renamed and no longer indexed, you can rename them back if you want to 'restore' them), better support for file systems that are bigger than what a 8MB memory card can fit (saves can no longer half-index and show up as corrupted), better support for games that auto-highlight the save last written to, and some general performance improvements on flushing.

I suspect this will be the last test build unless major issues are found.
Here's another, with the latest commits from master: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5268...st-rev7.7z

Please actually test this! If this works fine for everyone the feature will be added to the official builds!
(07-12-2015, 03:49 PM)AdmiralCurtiss Wrote: [ -> ]Here's another, with the latest commits from master: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5268...st-rev7.7z

Please actually test this! If this works fine for everyone the feature will be added to the official builds!

Great to hear, will test tonight
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10