..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Snowblind Progress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I haven't tried playing either dark alliance yet, but I made it to the plane of water on Return to Arms... I plan on playing through all of them to see and I actually was just thinking I would try OpenGL instead of directx to see how much of a difference gregory's improvements make Laugh
Carsomyr - can you post a complete list of the settings you're using? I'd like to try to get mine to play similarly, but at the moment, I'm just struggling to keep a constant framerate, especially near flames or in caves, and my GS% always takes a massive dip when my FPS drops below 40ish.

I think my biggest issue is that I don't have an CPU that I can OC, being a laptop, so it maxes out at 3.3Ghz with the turbo-boost active.
(06-26-2015, 04:25 PM)tregolani Wrote: [ -> ]3.3Ghz with the turbo-boost active.

exactly.... I wouldn't expect to see turbo boost active... So better to consider that your cpu is in the 2-3GHz range... just as it is specified.
(06-26-2015, 04:52 PM)willkuer Wrote: [ -> ]exactly.... I wouldn't expect to see turbo boost active... So better to consider that your cpu is in the 2-3GHz range... just as it is specified.

Huh, really? I would think with how taxing the games are, it would kick over the turbo. I'll have to do some clock speed monitoring when I get home. I wonder if there is a way to manually turn on the turbo boost or have it turn on for certain programs.

Do you think that's my GS%/FPS bottleneck? I don't think it's my GPU, but I don't seem to see a difference regardless of whether I run in DX11 HW or SW...
It isn't likely you'll see full 60fps, Gregory is aware of the issue, and it's more or less we have capped the PCI-e bandwidth. switching from 2x scaling to native doesn't change it at all. EE never gets above 40% for me. when the slow downs happen i get between 30 and 40fps.

Allow 8-bit textures may help however, send me from completely unplayable to playable just heavy slow downs from time to time in caves.
turbo boost is only active if one or two cores are maxed out and others idle. And only for a short time. When your cpu uses too much power and produces too much heat turbo boost shuts itself off. I would expect that for the first seconds you can enjoy turbo boost but afterwards you play at stock speed. (especially in sw mode with some extra rendering threads)
Constant 60fps for these games is impossible right now. I have an i5 3570k personally and the games all dip into the 20s for me. the issue is GS% stays around 90%-100% constantly. As I said turn off the widescreen hacks and play with the camera zoomed all the way in using the right stick to help minimize FPS drops. The drops are going to happen to matter what on these games tho.
can't you invert the zoom part of the widescreen hack to reduce the rendered screen size? (assuming that there is some zooming done in the widescreen hack)
(06-26-2015, 04:59 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: [ -> ]It isn't likely you'll see full 60fps, Gregory is aware of the issue, and it's more or less we have capped the PCI-e bandwidth. switching from 2x scaling to native doesn't change it at all. EE never gets above 40% for me. when the slow downs happen i get between 30 and 40fps.

Allow 8-bit textures may help however, send me from completely unplayable to playable just heavy slow downs from time to time in caves.

This is exactly what I'm seeing as well.

I'm not much of a tech junkie, so I might be asking a silly question but......What would the reason be for DX11 HW mode not seeming to provide any sort of improvement over SW mode in terms of rendering speed or FPS?

Also, if you answered that in your last response....sorry for not understanding. Can you ELI5, or at least point me to somewhere I can do a bit of learning to better understand it? Nvm, did a bit of research and now I understand it a bit better.

Edit: going to do some tests with OGL HW mode, see if that makes any difference. From the GSDX 2.0 post, it sounds like that is the larger focus right now for Gregory.
(06-26-2015, 04:25 PM)tregolani Wrote: [ -> ]Carsomyr - can you post a complete list of the settings you're using? I'd like to try to get mine to play similarly, but at the moment, I'm just struggling to keep a constant framerate, especially near flames or in caves, and my GS% always takes a massive dip when my FPS drops below 40ish.

I think my biggest issue is that I don't have an CPU that I can OC, being a laptop, so it maxes out at 3.3Ghz with the turbo-boost active.

I have enabled 8-bit textures, and I'm using EE/VU hacks set at 2. MTVU is OFF, It seems to run slower for me while it's on... wihtout OCing i get a steady 60 on the planes unless I stand too close to a save/torch, and on the clockwork plane in the cave my FPS drops to a steady 45-50ish. While OCed (1 core @ 4 GHz, 2 @ 3.8 GHz, and 4 @ 3.6 GHz) I basically get ~10 FPS increase where all my slowdowns occur. That was using DX11 HW mode, next time I play I'm gonna use OpenGL to compare Tongue

EDIT: Just thought I'd mention on my rig I need those speedhacks to hit 60 FPS... it does cause an occasional flicker but it's barely noticeable Laugh
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8