..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: [Enhancement] PCSX2 GUI (Windows)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Hello PCSX2 users,

The current GUI for Windows version of PCSX2 has received a lots of remarks from users that it's hard to interpret the functionality of each and every settings, so to prepare for the next stable release we are deciding on revamping the core GUI and the GSdx Plugin settings a more standard way. Smile

Obviously the new GUI should be decided based on the users preference, that's the purpose of this thread.

The Motive is to remove unnecessary options and make the GUI more simple and straight forward for the newbie users to interact with. also, need to add some neat description for all the options in the GSdx plugin settings and additionally make it look a bit more standard (or) modern (Visual styles).

Here's the Idea,

Core GUI:- [Emulator settings]

1/ Tab Titles of Emulation settings

When normal users start to take a look at the Emulation settings, they would probably be confused due to the Tab title "EE/IOP", "VUs", "GS", "GS Window". It could be changed to something more easier for the users to understand.
Tags: (Less Priority) , (Maybe not needed ? ).

2/ Removal of Gamefixes Tab

[Image: dnRRPT1.png]

Unofficial Youtube Videos are usually one of the conflicts which misleads users to use the following Tab when it's not actually needed, and eventually when the users who were misleaded experience a problem because of such customization turn out on the forums and ask for support, the unreasonable usage of the manual game fixes are usually the Issue.

To prevent this we could easily get rid of this Tab and make it to be only reliable on Automatic game fixes. if there comes a time when the users need to use the manual game fixes, we could still suggest them to use it through the INI file and update the game DB so that such instances would never happen again.

Tags: Need Opinions from users , (Less Priority).

3/ Recommended Hacks in Speedhacks tab

Remove all the Safe recommended hacks from the Speedhacks Tab and enable them by default. ["Enable INTC Spin detection" , "Enable Wait Loop Detection" , "mVU Flag Hack"] by the way, I'm not including MTVU in the list for various reasons.

Tags: (Medium Priority) , Need Ref's opinion , Need Opinions from users.

GSdx Plugin settings:-

1/ Landscape over Portrait

Yeah, using a Landscape based dialog over a portrait one is pretty useful, it creates lot of space for placing options and adding description texts for each options which would be better than crowded tooltips.

Tags: (High Priority), Need Opinions from users

These are pretty much the current basic things we have to deal with, let's deal the issues one at a time and make progress at a rapid rate, each and every opinion is appreciated. also remember, The changes will only take place if the majority of people agree with it. Smile

Note: This a draft which will be pushed to the developer discussion forums after the stuff gets checked by refraction.
Core GUI:

1. We could expand these so they say like "Core CPU's" and "Vector Units", possibly combine the GS and GS Window tabs as this has always annoyed me, Not sure we can make this much simpler beyond this, unless somebody has a better name for Vector units? I was thinking "3D Calculations" but they might confuse this with the GS.

2. I don't think removal is the answer, these can be very handy for fixing users problems easily without having to talk them through how to make a patch etc. Maybe a firefox style "There be dragons ahead" style screen that clearly states the options do not increase speed at all and will move likely break games than fix them, only enable under instruction from forums.pcsx2.net. Once they click "I understand" it then shows the gamefixes.

3. Not sure about removing them, we could cut down the bulk by having 1 tick box for all 3 maybe?

GSDX:
1. Not sure if it needs to be landscape over portrait as such but it could do with tabbing or widening to fit in all the options. But also things need reorganising and possibly hiding of options which aren't relevant to the current renderer (except the software settings as we can obviously F9 toggle to that). Are ones like Alpha correction still used in DX9 I wonder, I've not touched that in ages.

Oh and OpenCL needs to be either hidden while it's disabled in the code or turning on, either way Tongue
1/ yeah, we must intergrate some of those tabs and use some kind of simple words for title. (I think we might get some nice suggestions from the users)

2/ I don't think there is a necessity for users to make a patch , if users feel that some games should have a certain automatic gamefix, we could commit it in the GameDB ourselves. Smile

also, I feel that situation might be much cleaner this way. though the unofficial YT videos are usually the things misleading people. and no clue about this "Dragon style", you mean something like user agreement license where they agree (or) decline ? I don't think that would work Tongue2

3/ If it doesn't cause any problems then, why not ?

GSDX:

1/ I thought of adding more tabs to differentiate between the options and have it similar to Linux. also, Landscape does have an advantage over portrait. (more space for description text similar to the one for hacks dialog). by hide, you mean to completely to remove it from the dialog ? I think we could use a separate tab for hardware, software mode instad.

also about Opencl, I didn't bother much about it since there was a possibility that gabest might work on it anytime soon.
How about we open this up for more public discussion, if you're serious about taking this on ssakash. I think we've lost touch with how daunting the emulator can be at first, since we've all configured it so many times before.
For GSdx: lots of tabs are annoying for a quick screen-shot of the configuration. At least on linux I have only a couple of hacks Tongue2 and less useless option (such as fba) Tongue2
(07-22-2015, 12:21 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: [ -> ]How about we open this up for more public discussion, if you're serious about taking this on ssakash.
you probably missed this on the OP:

Quote:Note: This a draft which will be pushed to the developer discussion forums after the stuff gets checked by refraction.

Quote: I think we've lost touch with how daunting the emulator can be at first, since we've all configured it so many times before.

Yeah, that's the reason why I had included all those "Need Opinions from users" Tags. they might be bit more familiar with how daunting it might have been. Tongue2

(07-22-2015, 12:23 PM)gregory Wrote: [ -> ]For GSdx: lots of tabs are annoying for a quick screen-shot of the configuration. At least on linux I have only a couple of hacks Tongue2 and less useless option (such as fba) Tongue2

actually, I got inspired by linux GUI to make this change.
Ahh, I did miss that.
For the gamefix tab. Here an idea

Remove the automatic/enable gamefix box.

Just add only a checkbox to disable the gamefix.
If the user click on it
=> pop up a fat warning with Ok/Cancel
=> if users click ok, display the game fix configuration choice.

For sure people actives this stuff. It is marked as "enable Gamefix", you won't activate a gamefix?
(07-22-2015, 12:24 PM)ssakash Wrote: [ -> ]actually, I got inspired by linux GUI to make this change.
Yes but it doesn't mean I did the best choice Tongue2 I made this choice because people complains on they 480p display (I have a 27''....). It know how to code tab Tongue2
(07-22-2015, 12:29 PM)gregory Wrote: [ -> ]For the gamefix tab. Here an idea

Remove the automatic/enable gamefix box.

Just add only a checkbox to disable the gamefix.
If the user click on it
=> pop up a fat warning with Ok/Cancel
=> if users click ok, display the game fix configuration choice.

For sure people actives this stuff. It is marked as "enable Gamefix", you won't activate a gamefix?

do you mean basically remove the enable button and just make it so if they click on one of them (the first time only?) it warns them, then they can save it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11