..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Cheat Engine on MGS2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I've been doing some forum searching and have found that the memory addresses change for ammo each time you go to a different level (e.g. from a connecting bridge into one of the struts).

I've come across this thread that appears to be trying to explain how to use (insert software name here) to adjust ammo, but the poor English combined with me not knowing what it all means is resulting in me not being able to do what he asks.

Can anyone help me figure out how to adjust ammo for guns and items in MGS2, on PCSX2? I am using Cheat Engine, but I'm open to using another piece of software if it will do the job better.

Thanks in advance to those who help.
Well I never played this game and didn't know that this problem exists but I am quite sure I understood what tadatada wrote.

0. Read tutorial about cheat engine or ask again.
1. Use/Install/Run cheat engine
2. Create a savestate as backup. Always reload if you fail.
3. search for one of the three strings (address finder):
Code:
(1) Search string "r_tnk" and add 142(Hex) to the result address. (Tanker)
(2) Search string "r_plt" and add 292(Hex) to the result address. (Plant)
(3) Search string "r_vr" and add 292(Hex) to the result address. (VR)
4. For all results in this list (except the already tried ones):
4a. Add the mentioned offset to the address to get the possible M9 Ammo address and change the value(=Ammo) to a higher value.
4a1. The ammo changes -> you found your address -> manipulate as you like-> GoTo Finish
4a2. The ammo does not change -> reload savestate start again with 3. -> GoTo 3
As you have listed it, it is namely step 4a that I don't know how to do.

Although I have gotta be honest, I ain't sure what's being referred to by Savestates (admittedly I haven't done the tutorial, I hate tutorials...) - is that a feature in Cheat Engine?
no savestate is a feature in pcsx2. It saves the current state of the emulator (Quicksave) and writes it into a file. You can activate it by pressing F1. You can cycle different savestate slots by F2 and load a savestate (Quickload) by F3. You will love this feature. But be aware that savestates are sometimes not stable and can create emulation bugs. It is highly recommended to save as often as possible to a real memcard.

About step 4a.
When you found this specific address 0012AA23 (hex) after seaching for "r_tnk" you need to add the offset 142 (hex). This you can do by windows calculater. Set its mode to programming and the base system to hexadecimal. Copy paste or put the original address into the calculater, press plus and copy or put the offset, press equals.. You will get a new address. In my example it will be: 0012AB65(hex). This address could point to the value of your ammo. So the value at this address needs to be increased. If the ammo changes you found your address. If not that's the wrong address and you need to start again 3 (or 4 as the result of 3 should always be the same) by reloading your savestate (F3).
(07-31-2015, 05:54 PM)willkuer Wrote: [ -> ]no savestate is a feature in pcsx2. It saves the current state of the emulator (Quicksave) and writes it into a file. You can activate it by pressing F1. You can cycle different savestate slots by F2 and load a savestate (Quickload) by F3. You will love this feature. But be aware that savestates are sometimes not stable and can create emulation bugs. It is highly recommended to save as often as possible to a real memcard.

About step 4a.
When you found this specific address 0012AA23 (hex) after seaching for "r_tnk" you need to add the offset 142 (hex). This you can do by windows calculater. Set its mode to programming and the base system to hexadecimal. Copy paste or put the original address into the calculater, press plus and copy or put the offset, press equals.. You will get a new address. In my example it will be: 0012AB65(hex). This address could point to the value of your ammo. So the value at this address needs to be increased. If the ammo changes you found your address. If not that's the wrong address and you need to start again 3 (or 4 as the result of 3 should always be the same) by reloading your savestate (F3).

And suddenly it makes much more sense. Thank you very much kind sir. Smile