..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: New Gaming Rig Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:PS2 processors are inferior compared to a quad core system, so why are some games not able to run on high end systems? It seems like to me a Quad Core Gaming rig with a high end video card would be able to run any PS2 game while laughing at it. Especially since it can run things like GTA V and Witcher 3..
because you aren't porting games (running them natively on your system) but emulating the whole PS2 then running games on it.
Avois at all costs comapring PC games with emulated ones if you don't want to look ridiculous.
It's like comparing apples and oranges
Quote:Is the PS2 and PC just THAT different??
definietely.
that's why accurate emilation requires so much raw power.
(09-30-2015, 06:26 AM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]because you aren't porting games (running them natively on your system) but emulating the whole PS2 then running games on it.
Avois at all costs comapring PC games with emulated ones if you don't want to look ridiculous.
It's like comparing apples and oranges
definietely.
that's why accurate emilation requires so much raw power.

I don't think comparing things makes people look ridiculous at all. In order to understand things we have to compare them to other things we already know. Once upon a time someone did compare apples to oranges and thats why we know an apple is an apple and an orange is an orange. None the less, we will never gain any knowledge if we don't ASK questions and compare our ideas. A lot of people call that philosophy.

I understand completely how the emulator has to actually emulate the entire PS2 system. Where I get hung up however, is the PS2 its self is a very low end system, its specs are trash. So to me, even with having to emulate an entire console, it would seem a high end system would have no trouble.

Here is some food for thought, why do we need to emulate the PS2 as a whole? Games require RAM, Processor, MB, and graphics to operate. While these pieces may be different as in a ps2 graphics card is MUCH different from a PC graphics card but they do the same thing. So what if instead of trying to emulate an entire PS2, we just use that same power to convert a ps2 game into a format in which out PC hardware can run it with no trouble.

Who knows maybe thats what they are already doing maybe that sounds stupid to some. I love this project and everything they do here. It just blows my mind that system 10x as fast as a ps2 have a hard time emulating a ps2 game. Our systems have the "raw power" to not only play ps2 level games, but some can actually play 3D games. To me it seems like its not the computers holding us back but our knowledge on how to truly utilize their power in an efficient manner.

Either way, thank you to all who helped me, I hope everyone is having a wonderful day,

Best of Wishes,
0Z
(09-30-2015, 05:49 PM)0Z3ro0 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think comparing things makes people look ridiculous at all. In order to understand things we have to compare them to other things we already know. Once upon a time someone did compare apples to oranges and thats why we know an apple is an apple and an orange is an orange. None the less, we will never gain any knowledge if we don't ASK questions and compare our ideas. A lot of people call that philosophy.

I understand completely how the emulator has to actually emulate the entire PS2 system. Where I get hung up however, is the PS2 its self is a very low end system, its specs are trash. So to me, even with having to emulate an entire console, it would seem a high end system would have no trouble.

Here is some food for thought, why do we need to emulate the PS2 as a whole? Games require RAM, Processor, MB, and graphics to operate. While these pieces may be different as in a ps2 graphics card is MUCH different from a PC graphics card but they do the same thing. So what if instead of trying to emulate an entire PS2, we just use that same power to convert a ps2 game into a format in which out PC hardware can run it with no trouble.

Who knows maybe thats what they are already doing maybe that sounds stupid to some. I love this project and everything they do here. It just blows my mind that system 10x as fast as a ps2 have a hard time emulating a ps2 game. Our systems have the "raw power" to not only play ps2 level games, but some can actually play 3D games. To me it seems like its not the computers holding us back but our knowledge on how to truly utilize their power in an efficient manner.

Either way, thank you to all who helped me, I hope everyone is having a wonderful day,

Best of Wishes,
0Z

Originally posted by Refraction:

A lot of people seem to compare PS2 emulation to the other consoles such as Gamecube and PSX. Why are they faster? well the simple fact is the consoles are much simpler than the PS2, thus less code, bandwidth and development time is required.

This is a list of the things the emulator needs to emulate, i shall compare to the PSX.

EE (Emotion Engine) core = The PS2's main processor which runs 8x faster than the PSX processor with registers twice the size (128bits) although in general cases only 64 bits are used, where the PSX uses 32bits as a general rule. The other difference is the R5900 (EE) has many extra instructions, multimedia instructions and extra co processors which aren't in the PSX, so we have a processor that's 8x faster and at least 3 times more complex.

IOP (In Out Processor) core = This is identical to the PSX core, it is the same chip with a few extra dma channels, it is also clocked 3mhz higher than the PSX but we can assume its basically the same chip.

VUs (Vector Units) = The PS2's equivalent to the graphics engine on the PSX, it is seen as an extra processor (yes another one) although the PSX one was 4 times slower than the VU and also the VU has its own memory and run independently from the main CPU where as the PSX one is cpu dependent. This is the main reason for the slow 3d games on PCSX2, intense vertex processing done by the game using 4 32bit vertex's which makes up the 128bit floating point registers that it contains. This unit also processes textures and 2d information on a part of the unit called the VIF which unpacks texture data and sends it to the GS.
Oh, did we mention there's 2 of these units (VU0 and VU1)?

SPU2 (Sound Processing Unit 2) = This is literally, the SPU found on the PSX but doubled, so there is now 2 of them to handle

GS (Graphics Synthesizer) = This is the PS2 version of the GPU, which does a similar job, but has the ability to do anti aliasing and all sorts of other fancy things, although some were rarely used, this does all the vertex/texture mapping that you see on the screen.

SIF = Now this didn't appear on the PSX, it connects the IOP to the EE and is used to transfer data between the 2, as the DVD, sound etc is situated on the IOP side, pretty much laid out as the PSX was. Although its function seems simple, its required that we emulate it which takes extra time as expected.

These are the main, intensively used parts of the PS2 which are used in the emulator, as you can tell from the comparison that the PS2 is much more complex than the PSX and requires a lot more time. To add insult to injury on the real machine a lot of work will be done asynchronously, so say while the VU is doing something the processor will be doing something else, but unfortunately we cant do this, so we have to run 1 and pause the rest, when that's done let something else do the work and so on, and running all that processing power on a single CPU is very very intensive work. Now take all that and throw on at least FIVE times the requirements due to the emulation needing to process the original data and convert to ix86

As time goes on we find quicker ways to do things and optimize the code, but until we can run games at high speeds, enjoy the fact you can even run a PS2 game on your PC and continue to show your support

Also one thing he left out is just how different the PS2s parts are to a PC - the PS2 can do many things a PC can't do straightforwardly. What takes a dedicated machine 5 cpu cycles might take us 100 to emulate well. And what if that operation happens many times per second? Overhead adds up very quickly.
Quote:While these pieces may be different as in a ps2 graphics card is MUCH different from a PC graphics card but they do the same thing
they give the same final result, but they handle it completely differently.
basically, the PS2 has 8 chips, always synchronized all the time. While a PC will process graphics, sound, and main tasks asynchronously, a PS2 acts a bit like a streaming system.
Means everything has to be perfectly synced to render correctly. Even if its specs are 100 times lower than a PC's, it behaves so differently that emulating it perfectly is a nightmare, and needs a lot of raw power.
Quote:So what if instead of trying to emulate an entire PS2, we just use that same power to convert a ps2 game into a format in which out PC hardware can run it with no trouble.
You mean reverse engineering to make a PC port of PS2 games ? Without the source code, it's practically impossible, and it's anyways not this project's goal.
Quote:It just blows my mind that system 10x as fast as a ps2 have a hard time emulating a ps2 game
that's how emulation always worked.
Have a look at accurate emulators (Higan, xebra) and look how demanding they can be. This isnt a new fact...
I think you guys are confusing me for the ungrateful lads that come in complaining about how this game runs slow or that game runs slow. Please understand, that is NOT what I am here doing.

I have a true passion for technology, so when it comes to a project like this, it fascinates me, and I want to learn everything I can about it. When I don't understand something I compare it and ask questions, and I think thats where a lot of people think I am questioning their way, but its not that at all, what I am actually doing is acknowledging the fact that this project has created something amazing, and I am trying to understand it in a more complex manner. So please if I ask something that seems ridiculous or stupid, don't think I am trying to troll or put people down, I am just a curious cat with 6 more lives left.

Thank you Blyss Sarania for breaking all that down. I can now understand how a PS2 actually differs from the PC system its self. With that being said I would like to pick your brain a second time. Since all this work needs to be done, and done at the same time to be perfect, would it help if we could create a PCI Card that could do most of this work like a PS2. Consider the PCI Card a mini PS2 or at least just some key features the PS2 does that the PC has a little trouble doing.

I have taken 3 years of soldering and 2 years of board design, If I had the right material and we put our heads together I can actually buy the chips and create a PCI Card for our PC systems. I am not sure if I am explaining it in a way that makes sense, but please let me know either way.

Thanks guys for actually holding a conversation and not just insulting one another because someone is asking questions.

Have a wonderful day,
Best Wishes,

0Z
Nope, since you would have to find a way to interface with it, and it's not exactly easy to combine emulation with actual hardware. I know it can be done for a simple system like a C64, when emulating the 6507, or replacing the PPU in the NES.

Also, static recompilation wouldn't be possible, since there are things that are only determined at run time.
(09-30-2015, 06:23 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: [ -> ]Nope, since you would have to find a way to interface with it, and it's not exactly easy to combine emulation with actual hardware. I know it can be done for a simple system like a C64, when emulating the 6507, or replacing the PPU in the NES.

I see, so even if we did replicate some of the PS2 hardware into a PCI Card, we would need some software created to then interact our systems with that card. Otherwise our computers looks at us like we are stupid and doesn't know what to do with it.

By the sounds of your answer, if has already been thought of? It would take a lot of work yes, but if completed it would send this project to the top of mount Olympus. Plus it would make killer money because you could patent the Card and sell it right here on the site.
(09-30-2015, 06:26 PM)0Z3ro0 Wrote: [ -> ]By the sounds of your answer, if has already been thought of? It would take a lot of work yes, but if completed it would send this project to the top of mount Olympus. Plus it would make killer money because you could patent the Card and sell it right here on the site.

I'm not sure Sony would appreciate this...
And our goal isn't to make money, either. Sure we have some ads to support the site, but our work is, has, and always will be free and open source.
(09-30-2015, 06:26 PM)0Z3ro0 Wrote: [ -> ]I see, so even if we did replicate some of the PS2 hardware into a PCI Card, we would need some software created to then interact our systems with that card. Otherwise our computers looks at us like we are stupid and doesn't know what to do with it.

By the sounds of your answer, if has already been thought of? It would take a lot of work yes, but if completed it would send this project to the top of mount Olympus. Plus it would make killer money because you could patent the Card and sell it right here on the site.

You can't patent something like this. It's sony's hardware after all.
Pages: 1 2 3