..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: New Gaming Rig Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello ladies and gentlemen, I just completed my new gaming rig, and I found such great help from all of you before. I was hoping I could call upon your wisdom once more as my new gaming rig is just a bit different then what your guides explain, so I would like to make sure my configuration is the best possible for gaming with your amazing emulator. So before we go any further I am using the latest version of your emulator, and my System Specs are as follows;

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
RAM: 8GB G-Skill
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97

Now, here is why I am asking for help. My system setup is a bit different then anyone else's. While I may have parts that others have, my actual setup is a bit odd..let me explain. To start, I am running Three Screens off of the one card. I have my main screen which plays games, goes on the web, etc, and then I have my TV in the living room connected and that plays movies, while I have a third TV setup in the bedroom and it too plays movies.

This can all be done at the same time. It will not effect my gaming, That is to say it hasn't effected my gaming, I am not sure if this matters with your emulator, however that is the first odd thing to my setup. That being said, would this effect the plugins I use? Or the settings I use with the emulator?

Ok moving on to the second thing, I am running windows 10 and I know this is not yet a supported OS, should I expect any complications with plugins or the emulator in general? If so, is there known work arounds, or am I better off running a Dual Boot?

I know there is a lot here but I would like to ask that if you are going to help please read it all. If you need anymore information PLEASE just ask me. Thank you all for your dedication to this project and forums, and thank you for all your help. Have a great day everyone!

Best Wishes,
0Z
Afaik the matter of running games that require dedicated fullscreen is just a matter of setting a primary monitor. Other programs usually open from the monitor they are placed in (extension of the desktop) or by dragging them over to them.

Personally i've had absolutely no problems with windows 10 but i don't guarantee full compatibility with any games that may be more than 15 years old. I don't think that's gonna be a problem, and PCSX2 will run absolutely fantastic unless, for some reason, you happen to be one of those people who get problems with it, which i doubt will happen in a new rig Tongue
Alright, I have ran into a few stupid simple issue like needing to configure plugins a bit different according to my setup, but as you described nothing is wrong. In fact with the quad core she seems to run even cleaner.

Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, but does PCSX2 utilize quad core, or I should say multi core systems? If so do you happen to know how many?

Anyway, thank you for such a fast and precise reply.

Best Wishes,
0Z
max of 3 cores with the hardware render. Technically you can do an unlimited amount of cores in software, but more than a hex core cpu is completely pointless, and even a quad core is fine for that.
As nobbs66 said, the hardware rendering option makes use of 2 cores (EE and GS) and by using the MTVU hack the GS is split in two parts to lighten the load, effectively using 3 cores total. Software rendering uses 1 core by default for all the work but the GS allows you to optionally increase the amount of EXTRA cores that will be sharing the burden, so a value of 3 will result in 4 cores being worked.

If you would like any help configuring your plugins feel free to ask.
(09-29-2015, 10:52 PM)Coornio Wrote: [ -> ]As nobbs66 said, the hardware rendering option makes use of 2 cores (EE and GS) and by using the MTVU hack the GS is split in two parts to lighten the load, effectively using 3 cores total. Software rendering uses 1 core by default for all the work but the GS allows you to optionally increase the amount of EXTRA cores that will be sharing the burden, so a value of 3 will result in 4 cores being worked.

If you would like any help configuring your plugins feel free to ask.

Yes actually I will take you up on that help. Right now I am just using the defaults for pretty much everything unless I have an issue and then I try to tweak it. However I noticed that some of the higher end PS2 games, their sound lags. Not the game its self but just the sound. I have tried playing around with the plugins to no avail, so any and all help to get the emulator running in top shape on my rig will be much appreciated.

Thank you for all your help.

Best Wishes,
0Z
What games are you trying to play?

Try enabling MTVU and pushing up the EE cyclerate hack a bit.
I was trying to play God of War I when this issue occurred. I don't really know how to explain what it sounded like other than this lagy computerized audio. I will try your mentioned steps and edit my post as to weather it works or not. I am hoping my new system is strong enough to play any PS2 game released as I own over 400 games. I literally have an entire book shelf of PS2 and PsP games...

Anyway thank you again for all your help,

Best Wishes,
0Z
God of war should be fine on that.
(09-30-2015, 04:51 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: [ -> ]God of war should be fine on that.

This may sound a bit rude, but that is not my intention so please forgive me if it comes off like that, but PS2 processors are inferior compared to a quad core system, so why are some games not able to run on high end systems? It seems like to me a Quad Core Gaming rig with a high end video card would be able to run any PS2 game while laughing at it. Especially since it can run things like GTA V and Witcher 3..

Please do not think I am ungrateful for this emulator, I know the devs and community work extremely hard to keep this project going. Is the PS2 and PC just THAT different?? Hmm curiosity has taken its hold on me!!

Thanks of bunch for your insight, 

Best Wishes,
0Z

Edit: Enabling the MTVU was like day and night. Everything was faster, the audio was better and cleaner, and the graphics its self were insane, much much better. I also noticed that MTVU is for 3+ cores, so stupid me should have already had it turned on. Thank you so much for that fix.
Pages: 1 2 3