..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: some help for you guys with PCSX2 1.2.1 sound and graphics stuttering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sadly i've been very dead for some time and decided to post this here, Tongue Hope this helps you guys out. I made this video yesterday after i had some problems with my own settings for the last few years and *finally* got it to look like an actual PS2 emulator instead of glitched graphics and popping/stuttering sound effects. For instance this is a bug i've been having with Ace combat 5:

[Image: 3da03a4573.jpg]

The ground is varied in texture and doesn't look like it belongs there. Here's another from Ace Combat Zero:

[Image: f708cbad8c.jpg]

Same issue, the graphics are extremely glitched out. So, after several years of messing around with no actual knowledge of what i'm doing (and no video support to tell me what's wrong with the emulator) i finally found how to fix it. Please keep in mind my computer is a quad-core I7 with GTX 970 graphics and 16 Gigs of RAM and a Windows 7 Home premium OS. So this may or may not help lower end computers.

Here's the video I have annotations scattered through the video to help out newcomers to the emulator so remember to keep them on if you feel you need the extra bit of advice or tips on what to skip to for the next step:

Nvidia and PCSX2 support

I hope this helps Smile
Hi. Just a little correction re your video. "Adding" application profiles in the NVidia control panel doesn't in itself "boost" games in any way. All it does is create a separate profile for the application in question so that you can adjust individial settings to your liking for that particular application rather than setting parameters in the global profile which, unless set to "use 3D application settings", would apply those settings to any and all applications that lack their own individual profile.

By the looks of things your newfound maximised compatibility is down to using the D3D11 software mode which IIRC precludes you from rendering at higher native resolutions or implementing MSAA from within PCSX2 plugin config (not sure if you can force it from the Nvidia control panel or not though, haven't tried) but hey if it runs smoothly that's what's important.

From a hardware persepctive it will be entirely down to your I7 (in conjunction with D3D software mode) by the way; your GPU isn't doing any heavy lifting so the 900 series distinction likely isn't an issue. From the official config guide:

"By selecting "Direct3D9/10/11 (software)", GSdx will use its built-in software renderer, which will not use your graphics card at all, but your processor instead. This way the emulation speed is greatly reduced but you get maximum compatibility. Recommended if you encounter graphics bugs with the Direct3D (Hardware) renderer."
(11-17-2015, 12:11 AM)magnuesgallant001 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. Just a little correction re your video. "Adding" application profiles in the NVidia control panel doesn't in itself "boost" games in any way. All it does is create a separate profile for the application in question so that you can adjust individial settings to your liking for that particular application rather than setting parameters in the global profile which, unless set to "use 3D application settings", would apply those settings to any and all applications that lack their own individual profile.

By the looks of things your newfound maximised compatibility is down to using the D3D11 software mode which IIRC precludes you from rendering at higher native resolutions or implementing MSAA from within PCSX2 plugin config (not sure if you can force it from the Nvidia control panel or not though, haven't tried) but hey if it runs smoothly that's what's important.

From a hardware persepctive it will be entirely down to your I7 (in conjunction with D3D software mode) by the way; your GPU isn't doing any heavy lifting so the 900 series distinction likely isn't an issue. From the official config guide:

"By selecting "Direct3D9/10/11 (software)", GSdx will use its built-in software renderer, which will not use your graphics card at all, but your processor instead. This way the emulation speed is greatly reduced but you get maximum compatibility. Recommended if you encounter graphics bugs with the Direct3D (Hardware) renderer."

Welp, even if it's not accurate like i said i'm going off of just trial and error, pretty much everything i've been doing has been "does this work well with that" and "crap i crashed my emulator now what" xD
After having no luck with the guys on the forums nor on youtube i figured i'd post what i had found to work, and see if it'd work for others to try out instead of fiddling with things to the point of destroying their computers. Especially since i see alot of people having issues with the GTX 940-80 from Windows 7 and 8.1 compatibility.  All in all though i'm sure it'll still be of some use to those trying to find a benchmark Smile