..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Question about the PS2 emu for PS4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am a total noob with these things so sorry if it is a stupid question. With the new emu for ps2 games in PS4 or the one in Xbox One for xbox games, is it possible for programmers to look at the code or how those emus where made and improve pcsx2 or xenia in xbox case? or pc emulation and console emulation are entirely different and wouldn't help at all?
(12-13-2015, 08:22 AM)guidodi Wrote: [ -> ]I am a total noob with these things so sorry if it is a stupid question. With the new emu for ps2 games in PS4 or the one in Xbox One for xbox games, is it possible for programmers to look at the code or how those emus where made and improve pcsx2 or xenia in xbox case? or pc emulation and console emulation are entirely different and wouldn't help at all?

It would help, if they actually had access to the source code. They don't.
as far I heard Xbox 360 games are not emulated on the Xbox one.
They recompiled the binaries of the games and they're running on a VM which also base on X86 binaries.

As for the PS2 emulator on PS4, only the sourcecode can help and its not available.
(12-13-2015, 10:37 PM)Nexxxus Wrote: [ -> ]as far I heard Xbox 360 games are not emulated on the Xbox one.
They recompiled the binaries of the games and they're running on a VM which also base on X86 binaries.

As for the PS2 emulator on PS4, only the sourcecode can help and its not available.

PCSX2 is probably just as accurate as Sony's
Sony sells the games, pcsx2 doesnt. Sony will use specific hacks when needed, accuracy is not a priority to sony if it will delay sales. But even so, Sony engineers do know the hardware a lot better than PCSX2 developers do and do have a bigger budget (we could just say the do HAVE a budget).
Also they have to work with an static hardware architecture. The pcsx2 devs can just ask to use a better, more powerful hardware.
(12-13-2015, 10:37 PM)Nexxxus Wrote: [ -> ]as far I heard Xbox 360 games are not emulated on the Xbox one.

You heard incorrectly.
(12-20-2015, 01:14 AM)refraction Wrote: [ -> ]You heard incorrectly.

I think the point is that you can either run it on a VM (which I would call emulate) or you recompile the binaries.

So maybe he was partially right? Wink
(12-20-2015, 03:34 AM)willkuer Wrote: [ -> ]I think the point is that you can either run it on a VM (which I would call emulate) or you recompile the binaries.

So maybe he was partially right? Wink

That would mean most (if not all) emulators convert the entire game to x86, which we all know is wrong Tongue
Would pcsx2 be capable to dump the whole ps2 binaries of a game into x86? I guess thats a legally complex subject but just considering from a technical point of view. Or is the recompiler/JIT too far away from a real compiler to support this? Also if you dumped the binaries.. Can you ever reuse them efficiently?
nope, it doesn't translate it in to something directly readable, it just translates it in to something the emulator can use as a set of instructions on how to set memory, variables and what to send to the plugins.
Pages: 1 2