..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Does a backwards compatible PS3 contain a ps2 bios?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I got rid of my ps2 MANY years ago when I got a PS3. Recently my PS3 has been pissing me off because it doesn't play newer PS3 games without having some kind of graphic issue (I guess Sony didn't want to support old systems anymore).

Somebody told me about this recently and told me I need the bios from my own system. So the point of this thread is, is there a ps2 bios on my PS3 or am I pretty much out of luck?
I think this was already discusses. There should be at least a subset of the ps2 bios. But i guess nobody knows if it is sufficient and how to extract it. I think this would be not your prefered path...
It shouldn't be that hard nor expensive to find a 2nd hand PS2, it doesn't even have to be a perfectly working example, as long as it can boot up the extracting software you should be fine.
Actually, any PS3 console contains complete PS2 bios, look in /dev_flash/ps1emu/ps1_rom.bin, that is actually PS2 bios, but you need to add dummy bytes in end, to make it's size 4,194,304 bytes, then PCSX2 will recognize it Tongue
hmm, so after adding dummy bytes, it'll actually work?
Have you tried that? Or anybody else?

I don't think that a 'normal' ps2-bios version should be inside the ps3 bios as the ps3 is just not a ps2. It has different hardware. The bios is for communicating with the hardware. I really think it should be different on the ps3..

I would guess the largest part of the ps2 bios on the ps2 and on the ps3 are equivalent. But I guess especially the important hw interface stuff is quite different.
I already tried that, also ps2 emulator .self's inside ps2emu folder contains cut ps2 bios, which works on PCSX2 only using "Boot CDVD (fast)" mode. PCSX2 detects ps1rom.bin as "USA v1.90 (23/06/2003)".
BlackDaemon is a mod at rpcs3's forums and GitHub, so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

Quote:I don't think that a 'normal' ps2-bios version should be inside the ps3 bios as the ps3 is just not a ps2. It has different hardware. The bios is for communicating with the hardware. I really think it should be different on the ps3.

So does your PC, it still need the same bios to run the games unless it is emulated.

Edit: Ninjaed, again.
That's really interesting. That would enable to use pcsx2 legally without owning the ps2 but only the ps3. I think most kiddies nowadays never saw a ps2.

But probably you are limited to the older ps3 models? Which bios did you try? Fat/Slim? HW/SW/No ps2 emulation featured?

Using fast boot makes it reasonable why it works. Probably it just skips the whole hardware detection...
Would be interesting if saving works - or netplay.

Quote:So does your PC, it still need the same bios to run the games unless it is emulated.
What does that mean?
(12-19-2015, 11:44 PM)willkuer Wrote: [ -> ]But probably you are limited to the older ps3 models? Which bios did you try? Fat/Slim? HW/SW/No ps2 emulation featured?

That doesn't matter Smile Any PS3 console with ability to run unsigned code, and access to /dev_flash/ contents. In my case it's Slim CECH-2008A. Technically every PS3 console has software PS2 emulation in case with "PS2 Classic" titles in PSN.
Pages: 1 2