..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Should I overclock RAM for performance?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm replacing my mobo, RAM, and CPU soon and thought I would ask if overclocking RAM is necessary for PCSX2 or if it would even have any benefit whatsoever??  I'm getting a core i5 6600k, along with a Gigabyte 170x gaming 7, and 16gb kit of G.Skill Trident Z ddr4 3200.  I'm going to obviously utilize CPU overclocking but wanted to know if overclocking RAM as well would boost any performance?
It's tough to use up the bandwidth made available by DDR2 RAM. Why do you think you'd need to Overclock DDR4???
(02-11-2016, 01:23 PM)hildegain Wrote: [ -> ]It's tough to use up the bandwidth made available by DDR2 RAM. Why do you think you'd need to Overclock DDR4???

Latency?
That RAM alone is more than enough for PCSX2. You won't gain any benefit from overclocking it.
Well, I've seen benchmarks showing skylake benefits a good bit from faster ram, but at 3200MHz you're probably already past the point of diminishing returns. Couldn't hurt to try of course, as increasing speed can decrease latency(unless you increase the timings more than the frequency) which is usually helpful for cpu heavy programs.

You definitely want to prioritize cpu speed over memory though. If overclocking your ram forces you to lower cpu speed for stability, don't do it.
I never recommend overclocking PC hardware just for the simple fact that any performance gains are usually minimal to moderate at best while the risk to damaging the hardware remains high.

In most cases you won't even notice the performance difference.
(02-12-2016, 04:36 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: [ -> ]I never recommend overclocking PC hardware just for the simple fact that any performance gains are usually minimal to moderate at best while the risk to damaging the hardware remains high.

Come on man. It's only dangerous if you do it incorrectly, or you're trying to push your hardware as far as possible.
(02-12-2016, 04:36 AM)[]HP[]Hawkeye Wrote: [ -> ]I never recommend overclocking PC hardware just for the simple fact that any performance gains are usually minimal to moderate at best while the risk to damaging the hardware remains high.

you literally have to make an effort in killing your hardware with overclocking these days. I couldn't kill my fury with any overclocking tools even if I wanted to. My 5820K would have to have a massive voltage bump before I killed it. Also, I definitely noticed the 33.30% CPU OC in PCSX2. The 15% OC on my graphics card was also quite noticeable
(02-11-2016, 08:20 PM)dogen Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I've seen benchmarks showing skylake benefits a good bit from faster ram, but at 3200MHz you're probably already past the point of diminishing returns. Couldn't hurt to try of course, as increasing speed can decrease latency(unless you increase the timings more than the frequency) which is usually helpful for cpu heavy programs.

You definitely want to prioritize cpu speed over memory though. If overclocking your ram forces you to lower cpu speed for stability, don't do it.

Well I think it runs native at 2133MHz so I would have to overclock to get the full 3200.  I'm new to overclocking in the first place so understanding that on its own will take a little more studying.  In the context of PCSX2 though, I know overclocking the CPU will net a result of better performance but I wasn't sure about the RAM.  I'll play around with it eventually.  I guess the main hardware components to focus on first are the CPU and GPU?  Just started experimenting OC'ing my GPU, and if anybody knows any good links to a good GPU overclocking guide feel free to post them.  I have a Radeon R9 380.
With the RAM you just select the XMP profile in your bios and you're done.