..:: PCSX2 Forums ::..

Full Version: Are my specs good enough to play these games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a pretty good system that can play some PS2 games on The PCSX2 emulator, but there are some games that have a lot of slowdown now and then.

The Games I'm having issue with are the following:
Metal Gear Solid 3
Soulcaliber 3
R-Type Final
God of War 2
God Of War 3

All games are NTSC

They run super smooth 70% of the time, but there are random spots where it gets sluggish.
I've tweaked a few settings with some progress, And I have looked at thread for the specs needed to run PS2 games,
but I need to know if my specific specs are strong enough to run these games, and if so, what can I adjust in the emulator to get
the best settings?

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU Intel Xeon E5645 @ 2.40GHz 32 °C
Westmere-EP 32nm Technology
RAM 6.00GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard LENOVO Lenovo (1366-pin LGA) 21 °C
Graphics  1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6450
(06-03-2016, 11:16 PM)PlayBoyMan Wrote: [ -> ]They run super smooth 70% of the time, but there are random spots where it gets sluggish.
but I need to know if my specific specs are strong enough to run these games
CPU Intel Xeon E5645 @ 2.40GHz 32 °C

Actually it's kinda miracle that you are able to play them "super smooth" 50%(maybe even less)of the time on that cpu(the single threading performance(which is really important for emulators)is barely above 1000 and you need at least 1600 for most 3D games))
vsub, you'd be surprized what you can do with a low end proc and a solid enough video card.

I have a similar processor in my (1200ish stp) laptop (tests at 1300ish), and I can run some of the less demanding games. If I keep it at native, and run software at some times and hardware rendering at others, I can actually keep the game at 60 fps no problems. with an ok video card in a server like what you'd see those chips in.. he might actually be able to keep some of the lightweight games running good enough at 70% of the time
(06-04-2016, 05:57 AM)scythefwd Wrote: [ -> ]vsub, you'd be surprized what you can do with a low end proc and a solid enough video card.

I've been using P4 2.8GHz and 6600GT for more than 7 years(until November 2014)and I know how slow those games run(especially gow games).
On GOW2 I was able to get 10-15fps on that pc at the beginning of the game
dont have much experience with the p4.. I was an amd fanboi at those times. I used to do pcsx2 on an old dual core 2.6 with igp 3100 video at 50-55 frames on the opening cutscene for ffx-2...
That means that that amd was WAY better than my old Pentium 4...if I remember correctly,I barely get 10 or 5fps on that cut scene
sorry, my old setup that i did pcsx on was a core 2 duo at 2.6.. a full gen later than your p4. Never tried on my 1800 athlon xp.. not sure pcsx2 was even around then.
So...are there any settings I can tweak in this setup or not?
Metal Gear Solid 3->forget itplay it on your PS2
Soulcaliber 3->->forget itplay it on your PS2
R-Type Final->fiddle with speedhacks
God of War 2->fiddle with speedhacks, but you'll get slowdowns
God Of War 3->lol, nice joke
(06-05-2016, 08:12 AM)jesalvein Wrote: [ -> ]Metal Gear Solid 3->forget itplay it on your PS2
Soulcaliber 3->->forget itplay it on your PS2
R-Type Final->fiddle with speedhacks
God of War 2->fiddle with speedhacks, but you'll get slowdowns
God Of War 3->lol, nice joke

hehe, The God of War 3 was a typo. 
Thank you for answering my question. Now I know what to do.